Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: see what happens when muay thai guy learns from tong po

Yeah, I think he was timing it too. that was a "bad habit" I picked up while I was in longfist - using the arm to block. When I went back to MT, I took several headshots from that.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by red5angel

I would think this would be obvious for a guy who has so much to say about boxing and MT. How about in boxing the main target is the head and upper body (since you can't hit below the belt) so you keep your hands high to maximize coverage. In MT, they not only punch, but kick and alot of their kicks and even punches can be lower, so you have to chose a middle ground, hence your guard might be a touch lower.
    No actually boxers hold their hands alot lower. ANd especially lower than that guy who got kod.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    Yeah, I think he was timing it too. that was a "bad habit" I picked up while I was in longfist - using the arm to block. When I went back to MT, I took several headshots from that.
    Did they teach that in your longfist class or was it just a bad habit that they failed to correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I really shouldn't feed the troll, but I'm bored and stuck on my article, so I'm going to have some fun.

I was always taught that the high hands were for elbow defences and to make it easier to grapple. It all depends on the coach's style-- some coaches favor the striking more and less of the clinch work and vice versa.

If you want to see improbable boxing guards that worked devistatingly well, check out Thomas Hearns' fights or Archie Moore. Dempsey also had a very unorthodox guard, as did Ken Norton and Rocky Marciano.

It's all about making the style work for you, anyway.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by Judge Pen

Did they teach that in your longfist class or was it just a bad habit that they failed to correct?
    nah, they taught it. I had done two years of muay thai before going to longfist. They (longfist) taught low blocks and also catching kicks. Before muayt thai, I had been training karate for several years. So, I started out low blocking and leg blocking, then started leg blocking, then had to go back to low blocking, only to have myself go back to leg blocking, which I prefer anyway. From here on out, I'm sticking with leg blocks.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger
    I was always taught that the high hands were for elbow defences and to make it easier to grapple
    A. Elbows are illegal in American competitions at least in California where I live.

B. There is no grabbling besides clinch where referee generally breaks it up after awhile.

Well you have tyo get good at inside fighting so that the ref doesn't break it up

Originally posted by SevenStar

nah, they taught it. I had done two years of muay thai before going to longfist. They (longfist) taught low blocks and also catching kicks. Before muayt thai, I had been training karate for several years. So, I started out low blocking and leg blocking, then started leg blocking, then had to go back to low blocking, only to have myself go back to leg blocking, which I prefer anyway. From here on out, I'm sticking with leg blocks.
    Actually you can and alot of people do catch the legs than either sweep or punch the face. And Longfist seems like a respected style over at emptyflower. Btw, ever heard of kicking the leg before opponent kicks your legs. or stepping on the meat of the leg? Tadzio said that's what he always does (xingyi).

Originally posted by backbreaker
    Well you have tyo get good at inside fighting so that the ref doesn't break it up
    Even in Thailand the ref breaks it up after awhile. And nobod in the West can get better than that, unless they grew up training 6 hours a day which none have, or have superhuman natural talents which few have.

There are ways to escape the clinch, you could break away at your own choosing and throw a kick to the head

Actually I'm just talking for the sake of it, what is this thread about? Keep your elbows in tight if you want

Yea keeping the elbows in tight like boxers is superior to overextending them like Tang Po does.

Originally posted by Unmatchable

Actually you can and alot of people do catch the legs than either sweep or punch the face. And Longfist seems like a respected style over at emptyflower. Btw, ever heard of kicking the leg before opponent kicks your legs. or stepping on the meat of the leg? Tadzio said that's what he always does (xingyi).
    In MT we catch kicks also. We just don't low block. Low blocking, IMO, is a bad habit. At least with the caught kick, your balance is compromised - I can charge you back against the ropes, or just until you fall, I can sweep, I can follow with a punch, I can cut kick, etc. With a low block, you are only leaving yourself open. As for kicking the leg before he kicks, I prefer to kick the hip. It's more stationary than the leg, and therefore a higher % stop kick than kicking his leg.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

or stepping on the meat of the leg? Tadzio said that's what he always does (xingyi).
    Are you referring to "wildcat climbs the tree" or some variation of that descriptive posture? I believe that's a rake down the leg ending in a stomp on the foot/ankle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Yea keeping the elbows in tight like boxers is superior to overextending them like Tang Po does.
    Not really. that depends on point of view. Just as boxers don't scoop kicks, they also don't worry about being kicked in the head. thai boxers aren't known for evading - that was brought in when boxing techniques were adopted - they just condition themselves to take the blow. with the forearms raised, the head is protected. MT pretty much has the most feared roundhouse around - quite naturally, they want to keep their defense against it up, that way they can remain fighting. that's no different than a boxer keeping his hands up to avoid a glove to his jaw.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter