Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: see what happens when muay thai guy learns from tong po

what's the difference really between catching and blocking low kicks?

Yea keeping the elbows in tight like boxers is superior to overextending them like Tang Po does.
    umatcheable - I'm going to challenge you to come up with quantifiable proof of this, or atleast a rational and thorough argument for why you believe this.

overextending your arms makes it harder to block roundhouses than a boxing stance closer to your jaw and face. The only thing wrong with the boxing stance is that they put too much pressure on their forward foot making them vulnerable to sweeps or front leg kicks. Btw you take any pro heavyweight boxer and he will clean up almost any Muay Thai fighter. I'm not talking about Butterbean here though.

stepping on the foot meant stepping on the kicking foot right before it raises to reach it's target (your leg). You have to kinf od turn your foot counterclockwise at a 45 degree angle and step on the thigh of the kixking leg.

Originally posted by Unmatchable
    Btw you take any pro heavyweight boxer and he will clean up almost any Muay Thai fighter. I'm not talking about Butterbean here though.
    Sure, but only because the Thais have not been historically strong at those weights. I don't even know of a current Muay Thai champ at any of the stadiums who's even remotely close to the size of the Klitchkos.

There HAVE been quite a few lighter-weight thai fighters who came into boxing from Muay Thai and did quite well, however.

Take from it what you will.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by CrippledAvenger

Sure, but only because the Thais have not been historically strong at those weights. I don't even know of a current Muay Thai champ at any of the stadiums who's even remotely close to the size of the Klitchkos.

There HAVE been quite a few lighter-weight thai fighters who came into boxing from Muay Thai and did quite well, however.

I'm with CA...put a 130-lb pro Thai Boxer against a 130-lb pro Western Boxer, and the odds might not be so stacked.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yeA BUT WHEN THEY JOIN BOXING THEY USUALLY GET A BOXING COACH AND GUESS WHAT? THEY END UP HOLDING THEIR HANDS LIKE BOXERS NOT LIKE TONG PO. IF THAT METHOD OF POSTURE AND PARRYING PUNCHES WAS SO EFFECTIVE YOU WOULD SEE BOXERS DOING IT.

Regarless, this thread has not proved anything, I have also been told that some retired muay thai fighters from thailand have come over and become world boxing champions at the lower weights. I was told, they might as well, it's easy money and their careers are done in thailand

I don't really know, but it seems ther might be a use to high arms , and that might be entering to the clinch, maintaing what is called " peng structure" in taiji is also in Muay thai clinching. I keep my hands at cheekbones with elbows in mostly. Also you don't want to just let your opponent T off on you unless you are confident you can counter back immediately, is it not better to clinch than to take multiple combos?
    Last edited by backbreaker; 03-09-2004 at 02:12 PM.

yeA BUT WHEN THEY JOIN BOXING THEY USUALLY GET A BOXING COACH AND GUESS WHAT? THEY END UP HOLDING THEIR HANDS LIKE BOXERS NOT LIKE TONG PO. IF THAT METHOD OF POSTURE AND PARRYING PUNCHES WAS SO EFFECTIVE YOU WOULD SEE BOXERS DOING IT.
    Do you ever post anything that's not a blatant generalization? You really need to work on your trolling, it's getting a bit stale.

The argument that professional boxers A) have a standard guard and B) have a superior guard to muay thai remains unproven. I've given you examples of world-class boxers with unorthodox hand positioning and you've completely ignored it. We've discussed the difference in fighting philosophy and the needs of different ring sports which you've also soundly ignored.

Any other aspect you want me to bring up so you can ignore and continue to troll? I'm here to help, you know.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Originally posted by backbreaker
    Regarless, this thread has not proved anything, I have also been told that some retired muay thai fighters from thailand have come over and become world boxing champions at the lower weights. I was told, they might as well, it's easy money and their careers are done in thailand

I don't really know, but it seems ther might be a use to high arms , and that might be entering to the clinch, maintaing what is called " peng structure" in taiji is also in Muay thai clinching. I keep my hands at cheekbones with elbows in mostly. Also you don't want to just let your opponent T off on you unless you are confident you can counter back immediately, is it not better to clinch than to take multiple combos?
    I can see how it can be effective for clinching but how do you expect to have any power behind your punches if they are way in front over extended? And jerking them back will make them really easy to see. Also why not just use the crazy monkey to get into a clinch?

Do you ever post anything that's not a blatant generalization? You really need to work on your trolling, it's getting a bit stale.

The argument that professional boxers A) have a standard guard and B) have a superior guard to muay thai remains unproven. I've given you examples of world-class boxers with unorthodox hand positioning and you've completely ignored it. We've discussed the difference in fighting philosophy and the needs of different ring sports which you've also soundly ignored.

Any other aspect you want me to bring up so you can ignore and continue to troll? I'm here to help, you know.
    You gave me examples of unorthodox boxers of the past. Today most boxers have a similar guard which evolved over a period of time into a superior most efficient one.

Unmatchable, you're making a big deal out of nothing. I alternate between both when I spar. It's really not that big of a deal. You should be arguing about important stuff, like whether or not you should tuck your lower back.

well it was one of the reasons the guy in the clip lost IMO.

IMO from watching the clip the guy who lost was anticipating too much. He had an idea in his mind of what he wanted to do, but the opponent didn't do what the guy was anticipating, I think he waited for his opponent to attack rather than trying to put pressure on the opponent and make the opponent react the way he wanted. You have to make the opponent react how you want

I can see how it can be effective for clinching but how do you expect to have any power behind your punches if they are way in front over extended? And jerking them back will make them really easy to see. Also why not just use the crazy monkey to get into a clinch?
    triangulation - they punch downard. Also, I mentioned above that thaiboxers scoop kicks. While scooping and/or sliding back, space is created. you use that space to either scoop the kick, or evade (you are sliding slightly out of range of the teep) With your hands lowered, you aren't making as much space. I've given several reasons, yet as with CA, you continue to ignore them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

well it was one of the reasons the guy in the clip lost IMO.
    That had nothing to do with it... The guy lowered his arm to block or catch. Had he had his arm high, he wouldn't have been knocked out.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter