Thread: Yip Man Wing Chun couplet

Yip Man Wing Chun couplet

In many of the Yip Man photos, and those of his martial descendents, we see the couplet (dui lian):

Wing Chun chuen tsing tung
    Waa Haa tsun hung fung

My question is: "What does it mean?"

The first line I understand to be: "transmit the orthodox Wing Chun". I would take this to be that teachers should be true to their teaching and try and transmit the true spirit of Wing Chun.

The next line I haven't got a clue. "Waa" traditional refers to all things Chinese; for example "waa yun" means "Chinese person". But what is "Waa Haa"?

"Tsun Hung Fung" seems to imply doing "heroic" deeds and "shaking the earth". A bit ambitious, but I would guess this means to promote "the glory of Wing Chun" .... using your fists I presume rather than your mouth.

Just found out on another forum that "waa haa" was an ancient name for China.

That's interesting, the common (cantoneese) modern term for China is 'chung gwak' (literally-central country).

'Waa Haa tsun hung fung' is hard to translate, I would need to see the characters as romanization of Chineese varies.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

The map is not the Terrain.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Here's a website that shows the couplet.

http://www.wle.com/products/b279p.html

-Levi

For the most part (based on my limited ability to read calligrophy);

Wah = china; chineese, brilliant, elegant

Hah = summer

tsun = (couldn't figure this one out, I'm pretty sure the radical is for 'hand' but I can't make out the char. and I'm sure it's not tsun/chun and in wing chun.)

Huhng = masculine, male, strong; hero

fung = wind, breeze
    Sapere aude, Justin.

"Wheather you believe you can, or you believe you can't...You're right." - Henry Ford

Justin,

David Peterson has provided a full translation, along with an interesting side note. Unfortunately a second thread was created with the exact same name.

So maybe we can end this one to avoid further confusion.

Bill

Originally posted by Matrix
    Justin,

David Peterson has provided a full translation, along with an interesting side note. Unfortunately a second thread was created with the exact same name.

Bill
    Thanx,
    I noticed that after I posted. David's is a good post on the subject, though I would like to learn the specific translations of the characters, I'm always looking to furthur my understanding of the Chineese language, both written and spoken. And brush script is the most difficult to learn.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Originally posted by Matrix
    Noooo .... mine was the original !!!

....But CFT, the other thread has the full response from David.

You still get all the brownie points.

Bill

Justin, you've got them all correct.

The 3rd character, tsun, means "to shake". See http://zhongwen.com/d/174/x182.htm.

It doesn't really make much sense if you analyze the couplet character by character. You have to analyze them as compound characters.

"Wing Chun" is obviously Wing Chun Kuen.
    "Chuen" is transmit.
    "Tsing Tung" means orthodox.

"Waa Haa", I now know means China.
    "Tsun" means to shake.
    "Hung Fung" means heroic acts.

So taken together they mean exactly what sifu David Peterson translated in the duplicate thread.

Originally posted by David Peterson
    Hi All,

Loosely translated, the couplet reads (R to L), "Pass on the art of Wing Chun undiluted, in order to create a mighty China." As explained to me by my late Sifu, the implication of the couplet is that we should always strive to pass on the complete art, not just our own interpretation, derivation or favourite techniques, so that each successive generation can draw the maximum benefit from what Wing Chun has to offer. In other words, while we may not use every word in the dictionary ourselves, that doesn't mean that we should remove words from it which another person may find of use. This supports the notion that my Sifu always put forward, that Wing Chun is a CONCEPT-based system, not a technique-based one, and as such, passing on the entire spectrum of knowledge contained within it, whether personally utilised by us as teachers or not, is the only way to see the system flourish and develop from generation to generation. By the way, next to the three characters above the portrait of Yip Man (which read "Wing Chun Training Hall" - Wing Chun Tong), is the signature of my Sifu, Wong Shun Leung, who did all the calligraphy used in this particular poster. Cheers!
    DMP
    to which Joy replied...
    Originally posted by Vajramusti
    Further comment on David's good to the point post and representation of his sifu;s view as well.

Passing on the conceptually undiluted corpus of wing chun knowledge as Ip man urged- is not an easy matter,

As David pointed out and by implication- passing on only a teacher' s favorite motions and techniques is regressive....
    and makes the art weaker and weaker....over time.
    Now it's all here.

*Bill

Originally posted by CFT
    Justin, you've got them all correct.

The 3rd character, tsun, means "to shake". See http://zhongwen.com/d/174/x182.htm.

It doesn't really make much sense if you analyze the couplet character by character. You have to analyze them as compound characters.

"Wing Chun" is obviously Wing Chun Kuen.
    "Chuen" is transmit.
    "Tsing Tung" means orthodox.

"Waa Haa", I now know means China.
    "Tsun" means to shake.
    "Hung Fung" means heroic acts.

So taken together they mean exactly what sifu David Peterson translated in the duplicate thread.
    CFT,

Thank you, I understand that characters combined can have a different meaning than the characters alone. I like to start with individual literals and move towards complete phrases, it gives me insight on how meaning is formed in Chineese sentenses. David's translation comes directly to him from the person who wrote it (WSL), so I'm sure it is most correct.

Bill,

Thanx for trying to keep us all on the same page.
    Sapere aude, Justin.

Originally posted by AmanuJRY
    Thanx for trying to keep us all on the same page.
    Justin,
    No problemo. Just a little copy-paste action to tidy things up.

*Bill

I see with the HURRY to get to reality trend that many people don't care about forms or chi sau. So that's bad because then Wing Chun would die out. The proper way is to learn all the classical stuff and then get into reality training for those who are so inclined. In the past maybe this stuff was for life and death but during peaceful periods it was also for ART and personal development with probably some loss in fighting effectiveness. But as long as the complete art was still there, the effectiveness could still be duplicated.
    Victoria, British Columbia, Wing Chun