Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How do you train your WC for real fighting?

how you train for real fighting

hi guys earnie i think you are right, about being in shape , this helps in real fighting, but i think expereince the more you have , helps being sly and sneaky helps as well for myself i like it when people underestmate me or think i am a soft target thats when being sly helps. Also i like the fact you train in arnis, my guro is roland dantes remy peras close friend and student, guro is a movie star in manilla and is very famous have you heard of him, ? if not next time you speak to danny inosanto ask about him danny knows him well peace russellsherry oh earnie do a websearch type in roland dantes check the modern arnis sites
    russellsherry

Interesting story about the roll of conditioning:

One of my training partners is a bailiff in the local courts in the area around here. He has a co-worker is about 6’6’’ and 260 lbs. This other officer is big and strong, but doesn’t do anything in the way of conditioning. He is also a gazillionth degree "master" in a couple of martial arts who has taught restraint techniques to several of the other bailiffs in the court.

One day in court holding area, the other officer was supervising a group of defendants. One of the defendants, who was about 5’9" and maybe 170 lbs, attacked him. The officer hit the attacking guy quite a few times, even managing to knock him down a couple of times. The guy who was attacking jumped back each time he was knocked down and continued to come back at the officer.

This went on for about 30 seconds or so until my friend, who was in the courtroom area, realized what was happening. By the time he made it into the holding area to subdue the defendant, his co-worker was bent over, wheezing and trying to breath, while the attacker was pounding on his head.

This was a guy who was about 100 lbs heavier than his attacker and who had years of martial arts training, but no conditioning to back it up. Imagine what would have happened if he had been attacked by someone to whom he didn’t have a significant size advantage.

Has nobody else noticed the obvious flaw in KF's story ?
    The fight went on longer than 3 seconds, that cant be true.

Doesnt say much for the guys restraining techniques though...........

conditioning

possibly the least enjoyable aspect (for me) of my
    training and therefore probably the most important.

im a lazy mo' fo' by nature so i do anything to avoid
    breaking into a sweat. id much rather stand around
    'feeling myself'

trouble is we did a bit of multiple assailant work
    at training the other day and within seconds i
    was wheezing like a 90yr old 40 a day smoker.

the whole trad. martial arts jazz of standing &
    workin internally is vital imo to self awareness
    which in turn leads to good health, posture,
    power, relaxation & sensitivity but if you dont
    have basic fitness it is effectively unapplicable.

then again i guess if you are doin your wck training
    right you should develop a decent level of fitness
    through that alone.

laterz

-jon

Well, one thing is that 'most,' (including myself) teach beginners to throw a punch and hold it out there for their partner to do techniques. I make sure that I tell my students that type of training helps to develop coordination together techniques if you happen to catch the arm at varying degrees of extension in committed punches. I soon get them out of that stage by having their partners retract the punch as fast as possible. This way the defender has to cover openings before countering. Then we progress to having the attacker throw double punches at one particular gate then another gate until they get good at interpreting movement. After that the punches become random, one or more punches to the same gate to different gates. I want them to develop one instinctive technique against a straight attack and one against circular attacks. We keep it simple. The idea is to have one effective block/cover/counter technique for the possible angles of attack that will come naturally under pressure. Once they have that then we can add variations. We do the same with kicks. The next thing is a realistic fighting distance. (remember is the beginners program), instead of stopping punches before the target they attempt to strike their partners with the padded part of the fingers. This way there are no injuries to beginners, but the distance is a lot more realistic. They know if the didn't parry or cover the strike right away when they get hit. They do these drills repeatedly. So during the class they've trained some attributes and got lots of cardio.
    Now for the intermediate guys. . . . well that' a different story
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

PM's

Sifu Redmond,

Please PM me when your mailbox is empty. Thanks.
    - The essence of Kungfu is to accept change...

Hi I have full confidance in Wing chun system.
    I have just started and I have to stay focused with each move and I enjoy seeing and learing new stuff about wing chun...Jeff williams

i must agree with king monkey.
    Until you really try it, everything works in theory!!!!

I am one of the lucky ones you could say from one prespective. I work in the jail and almost on a daily basis there is some one who is not all there in the head wich is why he is coming to my house. I touch hands with many different people who come at me in different ways that it gives me the oppurtunity to have to react instead of rely on the kwoon atmosphere where you know you are going to be attacked. For the most part in there all my opponenets have been street fighters wich to this day have been the fastest to subdue due to their lack of any type of fight training in any system. I have come across a couple of inmates who have seen me fight and asked if i was jeet kun do or wing chun?

Originally posted by AztecaPreist
    I am one of the lucky ones you could say from one prespective. I work in the jail and almost on a daily basis there is some one who is not all there in the head wich is why he is coming to my house. I touch hands with many different people who come at me in different ways that it gives me the oppurtunity to have to react instead of rely on the kwoon atmosphere where you know you are going to be attacked. For the most part in there all my opponenets have been street fighters wich to this day have been the fastest to subdue due to their lack of any type of fight training in any system. I have come across a couple of inmates who have seen me fight and asked if i was jeet kun do or wing chun?
    Just don't drop the soap, I don't think gan saos will help you there. LOL

I have heard of MA that go to jail have to hide their skills. Otherwise every inmate will want to fight them. I have never been to jail myself and never plan to go, so I can't speak from personal experience.

Gangsterfist:

One of my best students - he studied with me for about 9 years before moving to Connecticut - still is a teacher on Rikers Island prison here in NYC...inmates who are still of a certain age are required by State law to be taught High School level curriculum if they are presently incarcerated.

They have constantly challenged him, attacked him, and made him hit/kick/elbow/knee/throw people around for years now. Almost always it was "street" tactics he's been up against - occasionally it's been against those with boxing or karate experience...And having it known that he's a Wing Chun guy has always been a double-edged sword - some are afraid to mess with him because he has a reputation - while others do the gunning for the "fastest gun in the west" routine.

You're right Victor. Our old WC brother Jesse was one of Rikers Island's elite EMS guys. He had to go up against many JHR/52 Blocks guys to get respect. Some inmates will challenge you in Rikers or any other jail.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr