View Poll Results: How do you view risk taking in training? Please select all that apply.

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • The only way to learn how to fight is to fight.

1 3.85%
  • I am willing to take almost any risk in training in order to improve my fighting skills.

0 0%
  • I am willing to take moderate or calculated risks in training in order to improve my fighting skills.

13 50.00%
  • It is more important to me to be careful in training, rather than to take unnecessary risks.

3 11.54%
  • You can't learn how to fight without fighting.

4 15.38%
  • Those who fight may do better faster, but anyone who dedicates themselves to training can still improve significantly.

1 3.85%
  • Fighting isn't as important as it's made out to be.

1 3.85%
  • I think it's wrong to fight when it's unnecessary.

1 3.85%
  • It's never necessary to fight.

0 0%
  • You can't be a serious martial artist if you're concerned about training risks.

2 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What degree of risk are you willing to take in training?

What degree of risk are you willing to take in training?

Expanding a little on my earlier inquiry of the "Ultimate Martial Artist" vs. the "Pratical Martial Artist." The catch phrase is admittedly a bit of a misnomer and the categories overgeneralized. Nonetheless, it's an attempt to explore with you all the differences in perspectives, needs, interests and experiences of those who come to practice Wing Chun and martial arts more generally.

Some people's focus seems to be about "realistic fighting" at almost any risk, while others appear to emphasize more measured approaches to training that manage risk in varying degrees.

If you are not willing to take a lot of risk, what are your thoughts and reasoning on this?

If you are willing to take greater risks, what makes it worth it?

In other words, what's your tipping point and why?

Truthfully, before my black belt testing last year, I'd never given much thought to sparring-related injuries. Well, I've been down for a year, and I have to say, my thinking in regards to sparring has certainly changed.

I'm now more focused on bringing my sparring up to par with form-based techniques as opposed to kicky-punchy stuff. Aside from that, I'm going to be just as cautios as I was before. We fight full-contact, but not usually @ 100% power. Hopefully, my little training adjustment will save me future problems.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Kathy Jo:

Taking CALCULATED RISKS is the key to the whole subject, IMO. If you don't risk taking some pain, bruises, twisted ankles, occasional loss of breath because you were hit in the solar plexus/ the occasional shock of getting hit hard in the head (hopefully while wearing a protective helmet with a front cage)...the occasional moderate shot to the face/head with no gloves or helmet during light sparring or chi sao/ moderate kicks to the body (again - using a chest protector for the body kicks and heavy punches)/ using shin and knee pads and then kicking fairly hard to the legs - (but always being careful not to do a heavy kick - like a sidekick - angled to the side or back of the knee joint)...

If you're not willing to be thrown to the floor occasionally (on mats of course)/not willing to feel the pain of various submission holds...

Without these calculated risks that produce bumps, bruises, and pain...but hopefully no serious injuries...

YOU'RE ONLY KIDDING YOURSELF...if you think that you're actually learning how to fight - and are ready to fight - if you really had to defend yourself or a loved one.

Being able to go on even though you've been "hurt" by the opponent is an absolutely ESSENTIAL ingredient in the art of self defense. The old cliche: "no pain, no gain"....is true.

I say this to you with all due respect.

now the definition of fighting comes into play

are you going out and getting in street fights with people who may or may not know how to fight

won't get much out of that except street experience and mindset but in the end that can make the difference

i think it's better to progressively work your way up , everything should be pressure tested

90% progessive training
    10% hardcore all out sparring with some light gear

to much hard core makes you sloppy and yes injuries will pile like crazy

no hard core well you never really find out what it feels like mentally and physically
    you need to learn to adjust to those situations

even the pro level coaches i work off have changed there views on hardcoring everything
    the thought now is you don't need to hard core to develop the skill but with out the hard core you won't really what skill is and how to use it under the gun

kathy great post but it comes back to that dry land swimming thing
    any way just woke up sorry if my thoughts are jumbled
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Pressure is necessary.

Injuries can occur under pressure.

Risk of injury should be minimized by training under pressure at the appropriate point in your periodized training plan, based on your life at the time (sparring full contact all ranges after having been awake for 36 hrs on your squat day is bad idea. Trust me. Really.).

Risk is best minimized in fullcontact training by keeping rounds short with nice rest intervals. It escalates as fatigue accumulates (longer rounds, shorter rest intervals), especially if both players are fatigues (hence it's safer to get cooked by a few fresh guys than do 10 rounds with a buddy).

Bruises, split lips, black eyes, cauliflowered ears- these should not be considered injuries. They are just things that happen, and while they shouldn't occur often, you should be sufficiently inured to impact that their occurance doesn't change your flow as they occur.

Joint injuries are to be avoided at all costs. The risk/reward equation is too high, IMO. Tap early on the floor, and be careful with ballistic standing joint manipulations- you should have a good feel for your partner at the time they're attempted before trying to pull these off.

Concussions and k.o.'s should be occasional. More than every few months is too much, IMO.

I'm with Ernie on the 90/10 split.

Later,

Andrew

Hee hee

Well there's no point in getting the crap between out of you twice a week in training just so you are less likely to get the crap beaten out of you on a Saturday night, unless you enjoy this exercise for it's own sake of course.

However as previously mentioned if you're not training against live real resistance at least some of the time you're kidding yourself.

I would make the distinction though between the likelihood of real injury and the likelihood of mental and physical discomfort.

I think the mental discomfort is a big factor for those who have been training for a long time and progressed through a system without live training.

Humans tend to have a skewed view of risk.
    Even those in the WC world who are scared of more hardcore training take a greater risk of serious injury every time they drive to class than they would do by throwing in 10 mins of 90% full on fighting with some simple protective equipment.

I read an article once about primal reactions that are still hardcoded into our brains long after they stopped making sense.
    A good example would be fear of spiders.

Apparently given enough time people will be having phobias about hairdryers and other electrical equipment being placed precariously near a bath or driving without a seat belt.
    Things that currently represent a far greater likelihood of injury/death.

Anyway I digress....

To answer the question I certainly try and avoid anything which might lead to a serious debilitating injury but a few bumps and bruises are all part of the fun.

personally, i agree if you never actually fight (or spar or whatever) you'll never really have a good picture of what you're training for.

however, in real life situations i think actually being in a real live fight is almost totally avoidable.

just don't be in the wrong kind of places, don't run your mouth, and suck up your pride and back down if you have to. i think 99.99999% of fights can be avoided with those 3 easy steps.

so out of the kwoon/ring i think fights are pretty much unnessecary. however in the kwoon/ring if you want your WC to be good you'll have to spar/fight people. not just other WCers
    Travis

structure in motion

Calculated risks makes you feel less stupid when injury happens and it will. Once I horseplayed with a big Mac and he sent me to the hospital for a major knee surgery. I learn since that I really can't afford such risky business again.

Regards,
    PH

this reminds me of what my friend howard said after a training injury were he had to go to the hospital and get a few stitices
    [[ dude it happens it's not like were learing ballet , it's fighting for gods sake]]
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

Ernie,

True. I was preferring to training with an intelligent human vs. a dumb animal however. In my case, Mac is not too bright to know when to stop. Ha! Ha!

Regards,
    PH

I draw the line at spontaneous human combustion.

Correction - User Error

For lack of ticking a simple check box, I messed up the poll, and don't have edit rights to fix it. <argh> The poll responses are not mutually exclusive, so my apologies for that slip up.

These inquiries are sincere and non-judgmental. I know there is a greater diversity in perspectives out there. So hoping even more of you folks will continue to chime in on these threads in an effort to better explore the subject.

For those who'd like to play along, and don't mind discussing non-anonymously, I'll post the poll questions here again for your convenience or for quoting:

• The only way to learn how to fight is to fight.
    • I am willing to take almost any risk in training in order to improve my fighting skills.
    • I am willing to take moderate or calculated risks in training in order to improve my fighting skills.
    • It is more important to me to be careful in training, rather than to take unnecessary risks.
    • You can't learn how to fight without fighting.
    • Those who fight may do better faster, but anyone who dedicates themselves to training can still improve significantly.
    • Fighting isn't as important as it's made out to be.
    • I think it's wrong to fight when it's unnecessary.
    • It's never necessary to fight.
    • You can't be a serious martial artist if you're concerned about training risks.

I'll check back in and catch up with you all more later.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Doesn't 1 and 5 mean exactly the same thing??
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Originally posted by sticky fingers
    Doesn't 1 and 5 mean exactly the same thing??
    Ha ha - that was so that people who feel vehemently about it can vote twice.

Regards,
    - kj

KJ-

Good topic of discussion. For me training hard definately pays off the most, but there are always exceptions. Reducing the risk of major injury is always the right idea. Getting a broken nose, black eye, brusies and bumps are minor and all can heal in time. My sifu has had his ribs broken while sparring heavily before. One important attribute you will gain from this is self knowledge of what you can take.

For example we were sparring last week in class. One of my seniors snaked his fist through my arms after I trapped him up and popped me good right in the mouth. I was not even stunned, the second it made contact I slammed him on the ground and started to choke him out (later he reversed it and pretty much ended up beating me). Knowing that I can fight through basic attacks like that is a good sign to me. If someone breaks your nose can you get right back up and fight through it, or are you finished?

Have you ever been hurt and saw that white flash for a nanosecond then the pain immediately sets in? Can you fight past that white flash? I can sometimes and have before.

If you do not have realistic combat training (like heavy sparring, with hard contact in a controlled enviroment so no major injuries occur) then I do not believe your kung fu could with stand that many real fights. Know your limits, it makes you a better fighter. If you know for a fact you cannot win up front from knowing your limits and walk away unscathed, then that is good kung fu.

Conditioning is also a factor that must be taken seriously to be able to apply one's martial knowledge in an effective manner in real life. I work out and do endurance training, trust me it helps. I also started doing some iron palm training and one of my sihings just commented to me the other day about how he didn't like punching me anymore becuase whenever I block it with taan, jom, biu, or juts it hurts his arm, even when we are doing drills. That made me feel better about my training lately. That was just from conditioning my arms, which was really not that hard to do.

To answer your question in my own view its to train the following philosophy:

-You will get hit in class and it will hurt, but you will live, and getting hit in class is much better than getting hit on the streets.

-always be safe when it comes to breaking bones and dislocating joints, eye gouging, etc. those can be "career ending" injuries

-There is always risk involved, if you don't like that then don't train

-always respect sifu, and your fellow brothers/sisters/uncles/grand masters/etc and respect the kwoon. You need these things to balance out your training.

-Taking hits is a necessity at one point or another, its part of kung fu.

-fighting is not the best option to settle things, but sometimes you have to fight and I would much rather be prepared with realistic training over theory training

I have one question for you KJ. Since you are a woman, what are you views of training in general? I know we attack the groin when we train. This always reminds you that you can strike the groin to get out of certain situations, and it also reminds you that it hurts so keep your groin guarded. We have a few females that comes to class from time to time and I always feel awkard sparring and doing drills with them. Sometimes I have to grab them or trap them in akward positions. I don't give them any special treatment and treat them as equals. None of them have ever complained that I am too rough, or they feel uncomfortable that I am trapping them or grappling them in akward positions. But, then again they may never speak up. We do train all aspects of fighting when sparring so ground fighting comes into play. I grab a guys groin if I am in a real comprimised position and they present the strike to me, but I never strike a girl in the groin because it just seems wrong. So I guess I do give them special treatment in that way.

What are your views about realistic training with the opposite sex? Do you ever feel uncomfortable?