Thread: Mantis Solo Training

Cool Mantis Solo Training

Hello all,

I was just wondering what the best way to train solo is... My teacher has gone to China for a few months and i was wondering how i should train on my own. I am currently practising my forms, breathing, stances and individual moves. Does anyone have any advice on anything else i should do?

Many Thanks,

S
    Black Mantis

Just continue on exactly how you've been training with your Sifu present (minus the hands on). Why change your routine just because he's out of town for awhile? Remember, you can never do too many basics.

Solo Training

Practise what your teacher has shown you. Stance work can always be improved. Try flowing smoothly in your forms from posture to posture and whole body movements. What does your six harmonies look like at the end of each posture, elbow over knee ect. You must motivate yourself to improve while your teacher is gone. Again, "Time and Energy" with what your teacher has already given you are the Keys to improving your Kung Fu.

Good Luck,

Steve M.

Basics

Cannot emphasize this enough; work through your basics! Don't just move through them thoughlessly, pay strict attention to detail in every move you make. Angles, hand/foot position, body balance...everything. putting quality effort into training well pays dividends. BTW, I sent you a pm a bit back (if you didn't get it).
    Take care & train with care!
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

I whole heartedly agree on working basics. How ever here is a great training excersize that you can do on your own.

Find a pole and wrap a large beach towel in half around it and then use duct tape and wrap around the towel to the end to look like an arm, be sure to bundle the tape up a lot at the end to resemble a fist.
    You can really improve your hand speed , trapping , timming and hand eye coordination with this apparatice.

Also work on forearm and hand strength much important for mantis. good luck
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."