Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gatorade dehydrates you?

Gatorade dehydrates you?

I've heard this from a few people now. I've heard that Gatorade is the worst science with the best marketing. They say that it actually dehyrdates you, and that to make it effective you need to mix half gatorade and half water, or I also heard 1/4 gatorade with 3/4 parts water.

Anyone know about this?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

All I have is anecdotal evidence. It seems to work better for me if I do the 50/50 split with water. I dunno, maybe it's in my head. A med student initially suggested it to me based on the sugar content of gatorade/powerade. I gave it a shot and it seemed more refreshing that way.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

i've HEARD that the original purpose of Gatorade was to make you thirsty and get you to drink water... because the athletes at the time were just practicing and not drinking.... now why did they pass on the water yet drink the gatorade?... i don't know... the flavor i guess...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Never heard that. Coach always just said, "take an hour to drink it. If you don't, you'll just **** blue or red or whatever color you pour down your face." Never had a problem getting thirty with it, though. But, I've never drank it whilst in the middle of physical exertion, always more refreshing afterwords.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Next we'll find out Gatorade gives you cancer...

I've never heard either, and I have a magazine produced by Muscle Media that basically discusses different popular drinks (coke, red bull, milk, etc). They said that Powerade usually tastes better though. Gatorade was created by some people at the University of Florida in the late 60s to help the football team. Hence Gator Ade.
    I have a signature.

I dont have the breakdown handy but it has a sh*t load of salts right?...that'll explain it....to keep hydrated and electrolites balanced you gotta have some sugars...and a little salt and some potassium...pls see lemon juice/ soda water/and equal....then you get the extra metabolism boost and cleansing effects of the lemon....If I'm out and bying..I'll have water thanks

Originally posted by Suntzu
    i've HEARD that the original purpose of Gatorade was to make you thirsty and get you to drink water... because the athletes at the time were just practicing and not drinking.... now why did they pass on the water yet drink the gatorade?... i don't know... the flavor i guess...
    That's bull. The Univeristy of Florida football staff created Gatorade to re-hydrate it's players quickly. It worked so well that the NFL quickly adopted it.

You think the NFL doesn't do it's homework when it comes to athelete performance?

When I workout, I usually drink 2 quarts of water in a 1.5 hour session. If I use Gatorade, I only need 1 quart.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-12-2004 at 08:11 AM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The Univeristy of Florida football staff created Gatorade to re-hydrate it's players quickly.
    yeah... because they wasn't drinking water..... or so the story goes... which isn't a good thing in hot a$$ florida...
    It worked so well that the NFL quickly adopted it.
    u saw that commercial too, huh....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

[B] yeah... because they wasn't drinking water..... or so the story goes... which isn't a good thing in hot a$$ florida...
    That story is wrong.

u saw that commercial too, huh....
    No, I watched a show about the history of it on the NFL channel.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    That story is wrong.

No, I watched a show about the history of it on the NFL channel.
    marketing is great that way................

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

My friend's friend is a chemist and I think he said he did some experiments with it or something... I don't remember tho. I'll try to find out more.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

marketing is great that way................
    Oh yeah....the NFL always produces marketing films for products they have no financial interest in....I forgot about that.

right around two-thirds of america, according to recent overweight/obese counts, because i doubt most of those folks are thinking about free-range chicken and the effects of hydrogenation on oils.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Originally posted by inic
    my weird way of thinking is that people were just fine before gatorade, and therefore, it isn't need. Also, who the hell wants manmade chemicals in their bodies?
    People were just fine before penicillin, too. Right?