Thread: weapon confusion..

weapon confusion..

Could someone provide links to different swords used in shaolin kung fu?

I've got a book telling me they are referred to as "knives" and other folks calling them swords. I've been trying to find some info on the web but haven't had much luck.. also some names of forms done with those particular weapons would help...

As I know there are 3 different swords used in Kung Fu... a longsword type weapon, and 2 scimitar shaped ones of varying lengths. Those are the ones I know, though I don't know their names
    -Sakko

Depends on translation...

some call them knives, which can be a litteral translation of the chinese (I believe). There are many different swords...

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/info/weapons.php

is a link to the resources section, and the 100 weapons of kung fu (there are more).

Most common are the dao- or broadsword, and jian - or straight sword. Then you have nine ring broadsword, two handend broadsword, two handed straight sword etc. Plus you have things like the kwan dao. which would translate into kwans sword... but is a long weapon (long handle (70"+) and a sword like end) .
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Thanks for the link... I can search on these names and potentially come up with pictures/info...
    -Sakko

Hello sakko,

The term "dao" is more properly translated as knife and applies to the single edge weapons. The word broadsword is more of a Western appellation applied
    to the translation.

The term "gim" is translated as sword and applies to the double edge weapons.

There may be exceptions for I haven't seen everything.

mickey

jian(sword) is another common spelling of gim, often called a straight sword in English. Dao(knife) is usually called a broad sword in English.

thanks fellas.. brad, great link thank you
    -Sakko