Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's with Martial Arts Magazines these days?

Re: The times, they are a'changing...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    (and we'll never exhaust Chinese history).
    That is so true Gene. With thousands of styles and China being basically the oldest still-living civilization, you really can't run out :-D. You have a good point when you talk about having to have a knowledge base with something like this. I guess to have a decent MMA mag you gotta have a lot of people from different backrounds huh? You guys do an amazing job with KFTC, I've loved it since I first saw it 4 years ago (or was it 5?). Keep it up man
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

I second the thanks for your response, Mr. Ching. I really miss M.A. Training magazine. Always presented good ideas to help you with your training. To a somewhat lesser extent, I also miss Karate Illustrated and Inside karate magazine.

gosh thanks...

...that wasn't the reaction I was expecting, but it's sure appreciated. We'll keep the nuggets coming.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How about every tells Gene how great and wonderful he, and KFTC are? Lets see how many shades of bright red we can make Gene turn!
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

flattery will get you everywhere...

...but if you really want to be flattering - subscribe!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: flattery will get you everywhere...

...but if you really want to be flattering - subscribe!
    I already have a 2 year subscription and bought almost $300 worth in equipment in Oct. I think that makes me good for atleast a year

Kymus

You flatterer you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Kymus

You flatterer you.
    I couldn't resist. 1 year I could afford, 2, well, I shouldn't of spent that extra money, but the "Got Qi?" shirt made me do it.

(and we'll never exhaust Chinese history).
    And if you do, we'll just make up some more.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

And if you do, we'll just make up some more

Indeed, we fight a two-front war here at Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine. Ain't no place I'd rather be.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

two-front
    Two front!?

Come on Gene.. admit it.. you were surrounded before you even realized you were starting.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

publishing time warp

For a publisher, it's the only future and the past. The moment is too fleeting.

When you publish a mag, you become a little unstuck in time. For example, you all will be seeing our new issue on stands in a few weeks - it's scheduled to go on sale on 4/6/4, our subscribers should go out this week or very early next week. Of course, we've already seen the advance at the office. This is the May June 2004 issue (and today is the day after St. Patrick's Day). We're currently working on our July Aug 2004 issue, which ahs been in production for almost four weeks already. And next week, assuming everything goes according to schedule, I'll begin advance work on our Sep Oct 2004 next week.

I'm not even sure where the moment is anymore. Not very Zen, I know... The real hardship of practice is the intrusion of the mundane.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Gene, someone needs to make you a little program where you just click a button and that will have the direct link for the product. Someone wants a <a href="http://store.martialartsmart.net/45-84wu.html">Monk spade</a>? no problem, just click monk spade and the link is given to you . If I ever get better at programming, I'll see if I can whip one up for the he|| of it.

KFM is the ray of light in my CMA mag starved world. The magazines in England are pathetic, totally driven by advertising, and not wanting to know if someone doesn't have an advertisement with them. Some of the people they big up are complete jokes, but they bought a full page ad.
    This isn't restricted to MA mags as this link shows
    www.edromanguitars.com/rant/magazine.htm
    but I think it's somewhat sad that this culture should thrive in a martial arts community
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

kymus & gash

kymus - how's that different then this? I'm mean call let's a spade a spade...

ben gash - Thanks for the kind words. I don't fault other mags for promoting their advertisers. We do it too. At least the advertisers give something back to the mag. We've promoted a lot of masters over the years and more often then not, the masters seem indignent about it. Maybe that's not the word. Controlling. They want they 'image' to be portrayed in a certain way, which often translates into "show me for the GOD that I am". It's amazing how many times we get stung by people that we try to do a little favor for, then they get all huffy because of some trivial detail. It gets tiresome. At least the advertisers put their money down.
    Actually, that's one of the advantages of our mag - we don't rely on outside advertising, so we don't have to cater to that. We just promote who we like.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips