Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1954 White Crane - Tai Chi fight

The lack of covering up did kind of strike me as one of the major things missing.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

and that's basically what I am talking about. In my experience with sparring and even some fights I have witnessed, the most basic of fighters protect themselves. In more seasoned fighters, guards are strong, footwork is steady and blows are more structured for the most part. To me, these guys looke like they have been learning for almost a year.

I think they were both tanked when they got there.

Oh, and does your girl like bananna flavor, or strawberry, I need more jimmy's, figured I'd get some flavored ones too for her, give her a treat this time.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

she says she liked the cherry stuff I had left over from that last trip to your moms, you know, yesterday.

Could be, that's really the only explanation, drunken fighting.

the clip had sound effects... odd. maybe this was taken out of a movie? what proof was there to show that this was actually a fight from 1954 between two kung fu masterS?

i personally prefer the "Boztepe vs Cheung" fight. The flailing and turtling aspect just had better appeal for me. "My shoes are slippy! My shoes! ahhhhhh" hahahahahahahah!

but old men scrapping young men is good too, if it's a bumfight tape that is LOL.

hardeeharhar

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The sound effects happen to just about any ma related thing that comes out of china..
    Watch a wushu documentary sometime.
    practice wu de

Rufus from Bumfights would kill either of those guys

I posted a link to this a while back
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

MMA promoters favorite CMA film. Poison hand, what? Black hand mutha****a

That's great old footage...

We're pretty desensitized to what fights might have looked like back in the day. Too many images of NHB, or WWE, or worse, Mortal Kombat. In times of old, things were quite different. Ever watch old boxing footage? It looks pretty funny if you compare it to today's fights? A lot has changed. A lot of the artifice of duelling is lost - for good of for bad. The focus is all on winning today, so many old constraints are discarded. Here, in this footage, we can see an interesting fusion - western duelling vs. eastern - note that it's not fought on a Leitai, it's fought in a ring, with a bell no less (and some pretty loose ropes). The lack of guard positions is something strange - perhaps a throwback to old kung fu duels where you approached with your guard down. Who knows? Certainly, given the fightts, it's a constraint that both players are honoring. All in all, the footage looks fairly authentic, more so from the audience.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

That may very well be true Gene. But if it is, that's just more ammo for the argument that MA are more effective today than they were 'in the Old Days'

IMO, of course.

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    That may very well be true Gene. But if it is, that's just more ammo for the argument that MA are more effective today than they were 'in the Old Days'
    Of course fighting is more effective today. Every other area of human performance is more advanced than it was 50 or 100 years ago. Fighting is no different, although some "masters" have a vested interest in having their students believe otherwise.

Talking

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    i personally prefer the "Boztepe vs Cheung" fight. The flailing and turtling aspect just had better appeal for me. "My shoes are slippy! My shoes! ahhhhhh" hahahahahahahah!
    I hear you man. I just can't stand those slippery kung fu shoes.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond

I hear you man. I just can't stand those slippery kung fu shoes.
    You ever worn cotton-soled shoes on a basketball court?

To quote Chris Rock, "I'm not saying he should have killed her....but I understand."
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.