Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The Power of Tai Chi Chuan

Yup!

I don't think so, xinyiluhe people often just call it xingyi. I think it is the oldest xingyi style. Maybe you should ask your EF moderator guy about that one

Actually they call it xinyi (no "g" in there) it's a whole different word in Chinese.

really, go figure

Greetings..

It is so subtle, so simple.. that i missed it for 10 years.. but, 4 ounces does indeed deflect 1000 pounds.. The vast majority if Taiji applications are perceived incorrectly, most people assume that there will be a "fight".. that is unnecessary.. almost everything is evident in your opponent's feet, including the outward evidence of intent.. the inward evidence can be felt through touch.. The opponent's attack is a gift, it is all you need to uproot and unbalance them.. recall those times when you were off-balance, frozen between falling and not falling, every fiber of your body straining to regain your footing.. uproot your oponent, unbalance them to this point, (we usually over-do it and just push them into another posture) then.. they are simply at your mercy, frozen or wobbling in an attempt to stabilize themselves.. your actions at this point should reflect their intentions.. in friendly matches gently push.. for brutish aggressors a well intended lesson in negative reinforcement..

The power of Taiji is in its softness, its sensitivity to balance, in its willingness to yield and absorb.. Taiji's power is borrowed from the opponent and stored untill you can return it to them, with interest.. the more we explore unrefined "power", purely muscular strength the further we depart from the core of Taiji.. of course we can rationalize whatever we choose, but.. if we choose to train in internal Arts we should also respect its philosophy.. As i have seen in the last 4-5 years, there are people that can make this work at the highest level, and their common theme is "it is so simple and basic, we walk right by it".. perhaps, we simply have too narrow of a definition of "power", maybe the most powerful never have to use it.. and when they do it is so subtle we miss it..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

TaiChiBob:
    The vast majority if Taiji applications are perceived incorrectly, most people assume that there will be a "fight".. that is unnecessary.. almost everything is evident in your opponent's feet, including the outward evidence of intent.. the inward evidence can be felt through touch.. The opponent's attack is a gift, it is all you need to uproot and unbalance them..
    Your talking in general correct? If one was to uproot a attacker, the attacker would just get off the ground and come at you again... unless you followed up afterwars, be it another move.. or whatever.. you are talking in general terms, yes?

Be Well... John Spartan

8 Gates
    A man is born gentle and weak.
    At his death he is hard and stiff.
    Green plants are tender and filled with sap.
    At their death they are withered and dry.
    Therefore, the stiff and unbending is the principle of death.
    The gentle and yielding is the principle of life.
    Thus, an army without flexibility rarely wins a battle.
    A tree that is unbendable is easily broken.

TaiChiBob:
    The vast majority if Taiji applications are perceived incorrectly, most people assume that there will be a "fight".. that is unnecessary.. almost everything is evident in your opponent's feet, including the outward evidence of intent.. the inward evidence can be felt through touch.. The opponent's attack is a gift, it is all you need to uproot and unbalance them..
    Your talking in general correct? If one was to uproot a attacker, the attacker would just get off the ground and come at you again... unless you followed up afterwars, be it another move.. or whatever.. you are talking in general terms, yes?

Be Well... John Spartan

8 Gates
    A man is born gentle and weak.
    At his death he is hard and stiff.
    Green plants are tender and filled with sap.
    At their death they are withered and dry.
    Therefore, the stiff and unbending is the principle of death.
    The gentle and yielding is the principle of life.
    Thus, an army without flexibility rarely wins a battle.
    A tree that is unbendable is easily broken.

8gates

Greetings..

I meant it both generally and specifically.. 4 or 5 years ago i would have thought of this concept in the same perspective as you.. but, i have been exposed to people that have proved me wrong.. they have handled extreme aggression blended with great external skills in an most soft and effective manner.. the single most consistent theme is "balance", they consistently remind me that we routinely over-react to aggression/force.. we respond with such technique and energy that it simply redirects our opponent into another mode of attack, just as you suggest..

Then, i see (and feel) them handle expert skills like they were handling a baby.. quick, gentle and unbelievably effective.. they simply deflect, uproot and shift the opponents balance only to that point where they are caught between falling and not falling, unable to move in any direction decisively.. then, their techniques are so effective on an almost immobilized opponent that it is kind of creepy..

Uprooting is usually taken too far, we should only interupt the opponents connection to the ground, shift their balance slightly, then apply the appropriate technique for the situation.. it works..

Be well...

Hello TaiChiBob

Who are the people you have been exposed to? And, if you don't mind my asking, what is their history (art, time training, time teaching etc)?

Many thanks,

Duncan
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

black and blue

Greetings..

Mt exposure is relatively broad.. of particular note, though..

Senior students and now teachers of William C. C. Chen's lineage
    Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming
    Ms. Cui Lu Yi, Chen and QiGong Master
    Wei Lun Huang
    Wei Lun Choi
    G'Master Chan Pui, my primary mentor of 12 +years
    several unknown people of significant skill that refused to disclose their lineage, they said it was of no matter, evaluate the skill not its lineage.. before they had to go back to Taiwan, i was able to train with these guys 2-3 times a week for about 7 months and it was pure insight into the depth of Taiji potential (and they said that this was just "basic").. it was humbling, but educational..
    A special note of thanks to Josh Waitzken and Tiffany Chen (WCC Chen's daughter) for their kind and gracious personalities, their openess and spirit of sharing.. good people doing good things..

My students and peers continually amaze me with their insights, its a great path we have chosen.. it is rich in culture, rich in the varied experiences and never ceases to offer potential for higher and higher growth..

Dr. Yang and a Master Wong of W.C.C. Chen's lineage are both adept at soft power, they are both so sensitive to balance and the subtle physical corrections we use to correct our balance that they sieze the opportunity even as we move through that point of minimum stability, that point occurs in each movement and is perceptable at high levels of sensitivity.. we are powerless if caught precisely at that instant.. the truly gifted will make it look so easy and effortless, yet so effective it's almost comical.. i have watched as well known full-contact fighters were handled like first-day novices.. that combined with feeling the control first-hand and then being able to approximate it at some rudimentary level myself has been an enlightening revelation that is guiding my current approach to Taiji.. I hope this answers your questions..

Be well...

Thumbs up

Thanks TCB

An interesting collection of people... you have been very fortunate to have met (and worked with) so many.

I recently switched from Wing Chun to Hsing-i, and am currently looking in to the opportunity to learn Taiji from one of Dr Yang Jwing-Ming's instructors here in Budapest, Hungary.

Loved Wing Chun - infatuated with the Internal Arts

Regards,

Duncan
    *There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

Our latest sweepstakes!

DOUBLE SWEEPSTAKES! Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for TAI CHI CHUAN MARTIAL POWER Autographed by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 6/11/15.

PLUS Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for POUND OF FLESH on DVD!!! Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 6/11/15.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our winners are announced

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart