Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: The Power of Tai Chi Chuan

I personally think Qi and Qigong are far to overmystified.

This is done mostly by the crystal ball reading set or the hippies in west LA if ya get my inference.

In the simplest terms, Qi is that energy which animates you. YOur life essence. It is the energies that flow through you, it punmps your blood, it fills you with oxygen, it sparks ideas in your mind etc etc.

Qigong, is working with the mechanics of your own life essence and focusing on individual aspects of it. Much like isolation training in weight lifting for instance.

Some qigongs focus on making the breath longer and stronger and so endurance is enhanced.

In weight lifting, you can focus on your muscles in the arms.

In Qigong, you can focus on the optimal blood flow and oxygen getting to those arms.

A very simple form of Qigong(breathwork) is when fighting to breath out when you strike and to breath in when you retract.

Now this isn't called qigong in other cultures, but in essence it IS breathwork.

Getting rid a stale energis in the body can also be done using these methods.

Healing qigong has similarities to teh practice of Reiki or the Slavic and Russian fields of psychoenergetic healing or the east indian methods of yogic breathing.

every cultura has a version, THe Indians have Prana, the Chinese their Qigong and in North America we have wind sprints LOL.

Anyway, I think the Indians and teh Chinese Have really elevated it to a highly refined artform, I personally think there are many gongs that have value to health works and toe martial arts inasamuch as they enhance the main goals and objectives.

I also think there are far too many flakes putting far too many flaky spins on what is actually a really great method of exercises by wrapping it up in a bunch of mystical hoodoo.

To the babes goes milk and to the strong goes meat. If you don't have teeth, don't even try to bite into the meat. And if you've been eating meat for a while, you should know better than to feed it to babes.

toodles
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Greetings..

Speaking of "the power of Tai Chi Chuan", passions, whatever their perspective, can lead us away from constructive dialogue.. once we let emotions get involved we resort to insults and lose the value of this format.. i suggest that each person present their perspectives positively, support their perspectives with whatever evidence or beliefs they possess, and.. when someone presents a differing perspective, let the readers determine the value based on the presentation, not the ability of one poster to out-do the other with trivial insults.. Given that there is a liklihood that some are not mature enough to refrain from aggressive or insulting commentary, that should be evaluated as evidence of lack of control and poor intent, and should appropriately diminish the the value of the arguement presented.. we can't expect someone that can't control their emotions to offer much in the way of a valid comprehension of Taiji theory.. i mean, really, it is distressing to watch people meet conceptual force with conceptual force.. people differ, we can either be distracted by the need to be right, or.. keep to our path and continue to present our best efforts to support our beliefs... This is not intended specifically at any individuals, but is a general observation of the way this forum deteriorates at the hands of people more interested in having others believe what they believe than looking for "truth"..

Be well....
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Smile hoodu american style

Good post-I agree

Bob, good observation but paragraphs man, paragraphs
    Kung Fu is good for you.

uh, taichibob, you are aware that taichi is a martial art right?

red5angel

Greetings..

I am very aware of Taiji's martial prowess.. i am also aware of Martial Art's claim of being an art of "self-defense".. some interpret that as "self-offense".. they adopt a confrontational attitude where none is needed.. they forget their training and resist rather than yield.. but, whatever attitude is put forth is simply a signature of the nature of person.. confrontational or seeking to better themselves.. each poster will develop a personality signature simply by the way they handle issues presented in these forums.. that signature will affect the perceived value of their posts regardless of the inherent value.. i suppose it comes down to what one hopes to gain.. converts or insight..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

What? Unprofessionalism on a forum? No , can't be

red5angel, go practice
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I'm working on qigong right now

Smile Non agression

I agree with Taichi bob,

It is not just tai chi that faces these resistants-

One of the problems faced by many western historians is the supposed contraindication of Buddhist and Taoist principles of nonviolence coupled with martial skills. In fact, the wushu practitioner is never an attacker, nor does he or she dispatch the most devastating defenses in any situation. Rather, the study of Wushu leads to better understanding of violence, and consequently how to avoid conflict. Failing that, a MA'ist who refuses to accept an offering of violence (i.e. and attack) merely returns it to the sender. Initially, the wushu expert may choose to accept an attack, but if an assailant is both skilled and determined to cause harm, a more definitive and concluding solution may be required. The more sophisticated and violent an assault is, the more devastating the return of the attack to the attacker. MA'ists therefore should be non offensive; they should merely refuse delivery of the intended harm by the assailant.

Sincerely
    Sfu John

red5angel , very good, if you need any help let us know, open your mind and breath you will undoubtly feel energy, then you can try to explain what you feel.....that feeling inside is all the proof you need.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

The experiment I was originally referring to is using very strict western methodologies that would hold up to evey reasonable scrutiny of fair play and good science. That's what was so cool about their initial positive results.

John Dufresne, very well said indeed...................
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

John, a lot of that sounds nice, but it's certainly not new to the west and it's more the ideal then aything else. Mankind has always strove to be something more then it is. That's where the desire for religion and beliefs in things like UFO visits, Qi and Ghosts comes from.
    Bu this sort of thing is of course what I am talking about, easterners and those who love the east often assume that the west doesn't get it. That somehow the east has discovered something that we have not, or is seeing something that we are not.
    Inevitably what happens is those who believe in say Qi, use that as a veil of sorts. Whenever someone asks for an explanation or some evidence, what we get is some mystical half answer about not understanding it or we don't have to understand it.
    In every human being there is a desire for peace and a desire for peace. It's the balance we strive for. I'm a martial artist because I hope that if I ever need to use it, I can do what I need to do to survive and assure the survival of my loved ones. When it comes down to him or me, it's him if I can help it. I don't think that's beneath the ideas of buddhism or taoism. I think both fully understand the need for survival.

The problem for some is that they seem to be asking for an understanding in their terms. All the people that I have met who where good in TCM or taiji always explained and demoed what their work was about it, was very clear.

Explanations where given when asked based on TCM theories.

The reality of it for some is just that a reality, not a belife. it starts out by examining theories on which its is based on.

The aim of which is to come to some sort of understanding based on actule experience.

weather it is helpfule or not to one as an MA depends on that persons work and understanding.

its TGIF

good weekend to all
    Last edited by bamboo_ leaf; 04-02-2004 at 02:22 PM.
    enjoy life