Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favourite Mantis Weapon

It's both. The 2 handed feature and the Katana. Though I would love to learn some 2 handed Jian or Miao Dao. But I have always been charmed by the Japanese sword and that's why I'm doing Iaido as well.

Though many of this forum's member's are probably already familiar with this article, in light of the topic at hand I thought that the re-posting of this brief and informative link to an article on Chinese Sword History might be apropriate and enjoyable.

Edit: Just in case you missed it earlier in this thread, I strongly suggest perusing through Thomas Chen's website as it is very solid in it's content and contains a vast mountain of useful information.
    Last edited by Mr.Binx; 03-23-2004 at 03:07 PM.
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."

did i miss something or did no one mention double broadsword?
    life-size blender

Favorite Weapons

1. Two handed Jian(Favorite)

2. Spear/staff

3. Cern Sao Dao

4. Double Broad Sword (On down the road)

V/r
    Steve M.

My favorite weapon?

my hands.

the ground

Post 2 Handed Swords

Hi Friends,
    I happen to have some 2 Handed swords that I am selling for $175 (plus shipping, if out of NYC area). If anyone is interested, please email me and I will send a picture with more info.

Thanks for the compliments on my seminar, Steve! I've been thinking about going out to Texas later. We'll talk more about it in the future. All the best to you!

Wang Rengang
    dachengdao

I'm still new to kung fu so I haven't had any weapons training yet, but I will say I am very much so looking forward to learning fan. I know it's a long ways off and I don't know how effective it would be against other weapons but it just looks so graceful and beautiful.

Green_Tea

One thing for sure, Wah Lum has dynamite weapons forms. And what a wide selection to choose from. I learned two fan forms, one very basic (more flute like movement) the other more advanced & flashy. With the learning scheme of WL, you`ll probably start with stick. Have fun!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Right, we learn stick first. I have first form to learn before I get to stick. I'm not sure the order after that but I believe fan is much later and it's more like an "elective" form. I could be wrong though, I haven't really ask yet because I didn't want to appear impatient.

I post mainly on the Shaolin page.
    I favor the pole because I don't like to let people narrow the gap. Frinstance, I'm a kicker. In a real fight I blast em with a sidekick (sometimes feint a hand attack then kick) then exploit whatever opening results...on my terms

So I think, the staff or better yet a spear, although I haven't trained the chiang (sp?) yet, it seems like a pole with a blade on the end would be a quick fight-ender, also it's size helping obstruct round attacks? or parry thrusts hopefully?
    Master...Teach me kung fu.

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    MantisFW, I have heard of the two handed Jian before, but dont know much about it. Perhaps I should research this weapon some more.Do you know of any links off hand? thank you ED
    A couple of years ago, I visited this school on 29th street in NYC, NY. It was called the PaChi Tang Lang Martial Arts Academy. While I was there, I saw a 2-handed 2-Man sword form. I was awestuck! The man and woman doing the form looked like they knew how to use the sword. I was a bit confused, because, at first glance, I was thinking "are they swinging a SAMURAI sword in a Kung-Fu school?". But upon closer inspection (not too close), it looked different from a Samurai sword.

Anyway, the 1-man form was beautiful. The 2-man form was beautiful. And the 2 people doing the form swang it at each other almost like they were trying to hit homeruns. The swords were wooden. Still, I remember thinking, "If someone misses the block, they're gonna hurt really bad.".

http://www.pachitanglang.com

Maybe someone at this school wouldn't mind answering some questions about the 2-handed Chinese Long-Sword.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.