Thread: Pointing to the Moon Part 2:

Question Pointing to the Moon Part 2:

In last thread we briefly discussed the topic of "Range."

A quick summary:

The game of positioning, controlling, manipulating, and damaging is different for each range:

“STANDING”.....

“CLINCH”.....

“GROUND”.....

These are the ranges "decided" upon in the last thread.

Since we are all so fond of chatting endlessly about "styles" and "techniques" - they will be the topic of this thread.

I will be back shortly. My goal is to have people list several styles and techniques from those styles within the very very broad categories of Range. We also discussed the ranges of "extended range" - or combat with weapons and "out of range" - to refer to general combat neatness such as something we are calling "awareness."

Thanks!

strike!

ttt
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

muay thai - kicking range

teep (jab kick) - probing kick, use to gauge distance and to keep the opponent at bay.

switch kick - "switching" is a method used to give extra power to a front leg kick. a front leg roundhouse will typically attack the inside or outside of the opponent's thigh. With the "switch", the front leg kick may also go to the midsection or head.

The switch may be used with the knee, sidekick, front kick - pretty much anything.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

muay thai - punching / clinch range -

the knee

MT uses various knee strikes - the straight, upward, horizontal, diagonal, jumping... Most are used within clinch range, but the straight knee can be used from punching range as an independent strike or as a lead in to clinch range.

The same can be said of elbows - stabbing, upward, cross, diagonal... all may be used from either punching or clinch range.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

wrestling - clinch range

duck under

The duck under is used in an attempt for me to get behind you. Once I'm behind you, I can do a number of takedowns.

arm drag

see above.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I can literally go on all day about judo techniques from the clinch... Do you want to discuss individual techniques like that?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

muay thai - clinch range

the plomb

The plomb is something everyone has seen - it's thai neck wrestling, basically. From the plomb, there are things you may do defensively to get out of your opponent's plomb and get him into yours. you can swim under his arms, you can put an arm over his and push his head back, making enough space for you to swim through, etc.

There is a modified clinch where you grab around your opponent's torso, keeping your head against the back of his shoulder and out of the way of any of his attacks. From here, you can still fire knees into him. I find this version easier to use against a taller guy than the standard plomb.

Once your plomb has been established, you can utilize short punches, like the uppercut, elbows and knees. Take advantage of the head control you have - jerk him into your strikes. Also, jerk him around the ring in order to keep him off balance.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

STANDING-

MT:
    Big kicks (foot jab and round kick mainly) Big knees, and Big elbows.
    Up on toes, Switch step and falling step for power.

Boxing:
    Many punches, variations of Jab, Cross, Hook, and Uppercut.
    Bob and Weave, Ducking, and Slipping for mobility based defense.

Panantukan/Kali/Silat:
    Punching, short kicks and knees, more elbows, finger jabs, head butts and destructions – striking the opponents limbs, joints, nerve bundles, soft spots, and other vital areas during his attack, prelude to my own attack, or as riposte.

Jun Fan Gung Fu/ Wing Chun:
    Fingers to throat, eyes, and other vital areas. Short, straight kicks to groin, knees and other lo line targets. Concepts of attack, defense, and correct positioning, motion, and movement.
    strike!

CLINCH-

MT:
    Plumb, elbows, knees, and head butts.

Boxing:
    Short punches. Hooks, shovel hooks, and uppercuts to kidneys, stomach, groin, chin, and side of head.

Panantukan/Kali/Silat:
    Arm levers and wrenches to setup for follow-up strikes, throws, or takedowns. My main throws/takedowns are puter kapela, arm drags from the inside, arm wrenches from the outside, and my favorite, an outside reap with an overhook (O Soto Guruma?)
    Inner and outer sweeps, Inner and outer reaps, head turning, compression, and general manipulation (causing specific reactions to take advantage of..)
    Grip fighting and Trapping.

Judo:
    7*: It might be useful for later discussions to mention a few techniques. I categorize all the judo stuff I learn into the above Silat pigeon holes. With a gi on the main judo throws that I use right now are O Soto Guruma, O Soto Gari, Uchimata, and O Goshi.

Jun Fan Gung Fu/ Wing Chun:

BJJ:
    Tie-ups, trips, sweeps, and other takedowns.
    strike!

GROUND-

Panantukan/Kali/Silat:
    Positioning, chokes, strangles, submissions, destructions, grip fighting, and strikes (mainly knees, elbows, and hammerfist.)

BJJ/Judo:
    Positioning, chokes, strangles, submissions, destructions, and Grip fighting.

Thanks!

strike!

standing - judo

clinch, sweeps, throws, takedowns

my current favorites are hiza guruma, tai otoshi, harai goshi and tani otoshi.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

what else should we discuss?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

ttt

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter