Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Re: Metallica - Fade to Black

Re: Metallica - Fade to Black

Ok this song was mentioned a little bit ago when someone (Xebby?) posted the lyrics.

For fans of this song, you need to obtain a copy of Sonata Arctica's cover of this song.

It's called:

Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black

You know how a lot of covers suck? This cover kicks my ass!!!

Post your opinions.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i've never heard the cover, but we rock the metallica in class a lot.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    HOLY CRAP !!!

That drummer is fast.

Just sampled a few SA from WinMx. Will have to find them in the store.

bungbo, see you on the 7th. Don't miss class, I'll be there Wed and Thur nights. Havn't had a black eye in over 5 months !!! You need to remedy that.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Oso
    HOLY CRAP !!!

That drummer is fast.
    I'm glad you liked it.

I've found that a lot of Sonata Arctica's songs are really awesome, but some of them are just ok.

One of my favorite songs by them right now is "Black Sheep." Have you heard that one? I love the part of the solo from 2:33 to 2:38. I mean, the whole solo is awesome, but that part is my favorite.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    just listened to it. dude, you listen in great detail if those 6 seconds meant more than the rest to you. hats off to you.

i think I've decided they remind me a little too much of 80's.

I'll give em a week to sink in.

the drumming is fast and tight which caught me.

just listened to the cover. i prefer the original.

but, hey that's why there's as many bands as there are martial styles.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    hey you guys, whats up

i tried to get that cover, but me i havent been able to yet - since me and Kazaa have a deep love/hate relashionship, its real tough for us.

Must i recomend a cover "Solitude" by Cathedral - the original one was from Black Sabbath.

"If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by Oso
    just listened to it. dude, you listen in great detail if those 6 seconds meant more than the rest to you. hats off to you.
    Assuming you weren't mocking me, I appreciate the complement.

i think I've decided they remind me a little too much of 80's.
    Like I said, some of their stuff isn't as good as others. Some of it almost sounded a little too "nu-metal" for me. But a lot of it is good, progressive sounding power metal.

the drumming is fast and tight which caught me.
    Are you a drummer?

just listened to the cover. i prefer the original.
    Me too. I just think this cover was an awesome version of it. A lot of bands do covers and don't do a good job. SA added their own style to it and I think they did well.

What kind of music (metal) do you usually listen to? What instruments do you play?

Metallica died in a plane crash after they recorded and justice for all. Cuz every album after that sucked. Basically after they lost cliff they started going down hill. However, old metallica still rules the earth.

BTW, IronFist-

The man o war quote goes,

"If you are not into metal, you are not my friend"

- Wimps and Posers leave the halls!

I saw man o war live a few years ago, those guys crack me up.

If you want to hear cool metallica covers download some Apocalyptica here is a link

http://www.apocalyptica.com/releases/metallica.php

Oh and if you are into the strings cover stuff here are some more string cover bands

Third Eye Open - cover tool songs

Strung Out on OK computer - RaidoHead cover band

Also, if you download some of these guys on a file sharing app (like kazaa, reverse connect etc) you will find a lot of their stuff. A lot of it was never released. Like Apocalpytica also did One, by Metallica but its not on their album.

Here are some cool metal bands to check out (all types of metal):

Nuerosis
    Coalesce
    Today is the Day
    Dillinger Escape Plan
    Anything Mike Patton does
    Darkest Hour
    Isis
    Kyuss

Just to name a few...
    Last edited by Gangsterfist; 03-27-2004 at 11:49 AM.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    BTW, IronFist-

The man o war quote goes,

"If you are not into metal, you are not my friend"

- Wimps and Posers leave the halls!
    Actually, in "Return of the Warlord," he says it the way I have it in my sig.

"If you like metal you're my friend."

I guess I could be wrong about that version, but the original lyric sheets said its was the way I posted it. I am not sure if I have even heard that version of the song. I'll have to dig out my manowar viynl after I get home from work today and check it out.

BTW, no offense was intended, more of like an FYI, but it seems like we were both right and both wrong lol

Yeah, they seem to reuse that lyric

Here's the lyrics I was talking about. I have that album so I can confirm that's the way he says it.

But I think I also have the album where he says "if you're not into metal, you are not my friend."

Here are the those lyrics.

Hehehe.

I like the one I have in my quote the best. Cuz that implies that if someone likes metal, they are your friend. But the other way implies that the ONLY way someone can be your friend is by liking metal. The first way still lets you have friends who don't necessarily like metal

Gotcha,

Also if you like stringed instruments check out apocalyptica, they do awesome covers of metallica.

Also, watching Man O War live was hilarious. I was like 1 of like 8 people there to see them play.

I have an Apocolyptica cd.

What are they like live? I heard that at one show one of their amps blew or something and so they started over cuz they wanted to give the audience the full effect.

I also heard they're pretty nice. I heard about someone who wrote to them saying they couldn't find one of their albums anywhere, and Manowar sent them a copy of the CD for free.

Aren't they also in the Guiness Book of World Records as being the "loudest band ever" or something like that? I don't know how cool that is, tho... my hearing was messed up for a day after I went to a Metallica concert and that was loud enough. And I even wore earplugs for part of that.

Well, for one they use amplitheatre speakers in clubs. So its really really loud. They kept trying to get the only 2 girls at the club to flash them while they played. They weren't wearing any of their heavy metal barbarian costumes (which was kind of a disappointment). Each member of the band did their own solo on their instrument (each solo was so metal it pretty much almost destroyed the foundation of the building as they played it). Most of the crowd was there to see this metal band called the Immortals, but I was there to see manowar. They were nice guys and definately played to the crowd. The guitarist was extremely good and I was very humbled when I watched his hands fly up and down his ax. I play guitar (very poorly) and I wish I had like 1/10th of that guys skills.

The tickets were 20 dollars and I would easily pay 20 dollars again to see them live again. The only problem is they only have like 8 tour dates in the U.S. and the rest are in europe.