Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing Power

Developing Power

What drills and exercises do you do to develop power in your punches, kicks, chin na, etc?

Right now I am doing full range motion stuff to help develope skill and power for short range motion attacks. Like high flashy kicks, fast on toe foot work, etc. I am also doing some two person wushu stretches I was taught a while ago. Man it kinda hurts at first, but after awhile my flexability is so much greater.

Yes, the flexibility exercises in Wushu training will definitely help your kicks. Exercises that twist your upper body will improve your punches.

As for chi na, there's no power required. The opportunity is either there or it isn't.

Developing grip strength will improve your chin na, and carry over positively into other aspects of your art as well.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

For chin na work out type training I use a new tool I made a few weeks ago. I took a 1 foot long wooden pole and drilled a hole in the middle of it. Got some rope and free weights. I tied the rope to the free weight and routed it through the hole on the pole. I twist it up and the string wraps around the pole until the weight is touching the pole. Then I twist it down. Using slow controlled twists each time. It kills your hands and forearms, but man does it really help with your chin na grip.

Strong grip can really help when using pressure points with your chin na.

Mm, that's a good one gangsterfist. But it trains wrist strength more than grip strength. For crushing grip strength, try Captains of Crush grippers. For pinching grip strength, try holding up heavy weight between fingers and thumb. Also, small (preferable leather) bags filled with shot apparently work well. Throw and catch them.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Strong grip can really help when using pressure points with your chin na.
    I practice squeezing tennis balls in order to have a strong grip.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

Before this thread goes totally to grip strength,

I would say there are several things to train.

1. Attributes, what you are all mostly taking about.

2. Skill development.

Any functional aspect of any martial art can be developed in this way (IMO).

Mechanics - learn the basic mechanics through solo training or with a good partner. Repeat 1000 times

Incorporate - Incorporate this thing you are trying to learn into a drill. Repeat 1000 times.

Resistance - Specific types of resistance - Repeat 1000

Goal Oriented - set to specific percent of resistance to receive from your partner (i.e. my partner can resist in several predetermined ways or in any way he/she wants up to 75 percent of max). Work to setup and use the above trained items. Repeat 1000

Cooperative - discovery based training. Taking several of the above items you have trained and focused on, put them together in a cooperative light drill. Discover ways to set up, implement and follow through very dynamically. A good partner gives lots of feedback in this drill. Positive feedback should be explored (i.e. if a technique works perfectly, if a take down, lop da or chin na works just right you should go back, note the setup, the outcome and see if you can capture exactly what steps you used to make it work so well). Then repeat.

Finally do not over complicate this by making large or expansive drills. Focus on basics motions, power development and body structure use.

KISS

David

I did karate for a long time, our classes involved practising our set punches and kicks prob about 10times each before we moved on to something else.

Untill i started kung fu a while ago i never appreciated just how important repition is for your strenth and speed.

You can lift weights and use expensive equipment all the lib-long-day, but all you really need is a bit of time and motivation to do your punches and kicks over and over till it hurts. as long as u take it easy on ur joints is great for your body, speed and strenght.
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

Okay I got a new exercise I did last night. I only tested it out and will probably make it part of my regime once I get more time. I had to stop in the middle of my work out to give someone a ride across town last night (but hey what are friends with cars for right?).

I took a standard folding chair and placed it in the middle of my room. Standing right behind it I do a cresent kick with one leg and then a roundhouse with the other one over one side of it. Then repeat back and forth over the chair. Do this 1000 times per a work out I think is what I will start doing.

Also scissor kicks while on the ground. I did 100 of those last night and I am a bit sore they worked my hips pretty good.

I also did the forearm training with that pole and free weight thing I made, and only using 5lbs I could only do about 25 reps or so (going up and down once = 1 rep) before my arms started to give out.

Tonight I am going to work my legs and do some calf raises and leg lifts. I find that doing calf raises on a stair case is nice. Oh, and I will probably do some stance training as well (low cat and horse stance).

If the body doesnt link up as a whole pice, if the breathing doesnt smoothly flow, if the mind stuck in dulll-- if all of the above dont become one.

Power generated is certainly local and damaging to oneself.

just some thoughts

An old chinese proverb comes into mind when talking about training.

One does not know something until they do it 1000 times, then one does not understand that thing until they do it 10,000 times.
    I am not sure if thats the exact quote, but I think the point is still getting across here.

Wushu stretching has helped out a lot. One of my kung fu brothers has a hemstring injury right now, doing some light wushu stretches is really helping him heal. He is already more flexible after only 2 weeks of doing it.

Strecth and using power and just a partial story.

Originally posted by Phenix
    Strecth and using power and just a partial story.
    You want to elaborate? I started this thread pretty much on just the conditioning aspect of Kung Fu.

Are, you perhaps referring to taking chi, and converting it to jing?

Originally posted by Gangsterfist

You want to elaborate? I started this thread pretty much on just the conditioning aspect of Kung Fu.

Are, you perhaps referring to taking chi, and converting it to jing?

nope even in the physical realm, there are tons of things can be talked about.

Hendrick,

Please continue, tell me how one developes power. There is definately and external (physical) and an internal (structure, energy, etc) aspect.