Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain Whip recommendations

Chain Whip recommendations

I'm looking for a good 9 section chain whip. Do you guys have any recommendations? Of course I'm leaning toward the one offered at Martial Arts Mart, but I have questions. What is a "traditional" weight for chain whip? I tend to lean toward heavier weapons for training purposes; is this a good idea for whip or would it be preferable to learn on a lighter whip?

Thanks for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

I get most of my weapons from Jinheng Li's store:

http://www.worldmas.com/
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I've been told that it doesn't have to be 9 sections, so go with what works, if you have to take a link off, don't be affraid to...
    I have a traditional weight (not the biggest, but def. not wushu weight) one that I play around with.. I can tell you, it hurts like a summabiatch when you mess up. They aren't all too expensive, If I were to go and get one now, I'd prob. get a wush weight one. Hey, it is still steel, and would still f**k someone up real good.

They are also usually pretty cheap on ebay here I even did the search for you
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Oh, and most of those chain whips on ebay are from Jinheng Li.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Thanks NP. I'm going to try to play around with a couple and see what weight I'd prefer. I expect to feel pain while learning this weapon. In the whips from Jinheng Li do not appear to have a knob handle. Is there a risk of the whip flying out of your hand without one?

E-bay is a wonderful resource. I just bought a nice pair of old hook swords from a guy in Shanghi.
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

There has been more and more stuff up there for Kung fu..

Mine has a nut type thing on the end..
    practice wu de

Chain Whip

JP, I practice with a standard weight chainwhip, and as other practitioners mention, it is extremely unforgiving if you don't focus. I started by wrapping the end dart with pipe insullation and duct tape (but it still hurts to get hit, it just doesn't break the skin). I also practice this only when I have people around in case I knock myself out (for instance when I grab the 3rd link in my teeth if the timing of the release isn't correct it can dot your eye/forhead/cheekbone, etc.). It also helps to have a knob at the end of the handle, it does slip when your hands get sweaty and I have to pat my hands in the dirt for grip/friction. It took a lot of practice before I decided to take the protection off. This is my favorite weapon so far.

Mine has a handle, but I always wrap my handles with flag material, and then tape over it with medical tape, to give some cushion.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Whip

Ben,

What ever whip you get, just retape the handle to meet your hand specifications- Jin Hung has good whips so does Bak li tat in Ny york-All I can say is remmeber to keep your mouth closed while training, An out of control whip can knock out a tooth very easily. Good luck with it!

Sincerely
    Sifu John

Ben, I really really like the one from tigerclaw (martialartsmart.com) I always wanted one like thaddru has. It was custom made and the guy only made like 13. It is a thing of beauty. It has an iron wood handle. I was afraid all others would be wussy in comparison. Master Green has a wonderful one as well that Master Hiang The found for all the students years ago. They were made by hand in Indonesia. I contacted some of his current students to see if they have a source for some good ones, and they didn't.

I was greatly pleased by the one I bought through here. It has some decent heft to it and the swivel on the handle is nice. I took a black and a white boot lace and crisscrossed it to make a non-slip handle. I also rigged a practice chain whip to start out on. It is basically a rope with a wooden handle and the other end has a racketball filled with BBs. The physics of it is a little different, so I wouldn't use this for too long but it really did help me in the beginning. I'll try to take a digital pic of both of these tomorrow and post it.

I see the chain whip like a woman. You have to respect it. You have to spend time with it. If you don't spend the time with it that it requires it will come back to sting you. I even named mine.
    Last edited by themeecer; 03-30-2004 at 07:59 PM.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Personally I favour a medium weight one (which is what I learned with). I currently have a heavy one (from Kwon), but it doesn't spin as nicely and isn't as flexible. I've used lightwieght wushu ones, but I find that they whip around too much and you can't get a feel for them.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Originally posted by themeecer

I see the chain whip like a woman. You have to respect it. You have to spend time with it. If you don't spend the time with it that it requires it will come back to sting you. I even named mine.
    Please don't take this anaology too far!

Serioulsy, pics would be appreciated. After what Ben posted I'm thinking about a medium weight whip. I want one with the "nut" type handle and I'll be sure to tape the handle and pipe insulate the point while I'm learning the spins this summer.

Here is the pic of my chain whip I got through tigerclaw. It also came with that carrying pouch.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab

Here is my 'starter chain whip.'
    -shaolinarab

Nice whip... lose the rug
    practice wu de