Thread: Event in Vancouver on May 29th?

Event in Vancouver on May 29th?

Posted this on general thread but got no response anyone here know what's up?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a dinner and event at the Chinese Cultural Center in Vancouver on May 29. My Sifu says that there is a meeting to "rate the Sifus". He invited me to attend the dinner and I would like to read up on what is going on. Anyone know what's up?
    too old to finish, too young to quit

Some info here but it is not up to date. www.wushukungfumasters.org

Started by GM Chan with help from Tat Mo Wong, Richard Wan, etc...
    Local Vancouver sifu including Danny Mah (son of Mah Gim Fung) and Peter Wong (CLF sifu).

Basically a new grading system.
    Cheers,
    Firepalm

Thanks Firepalm!!

with sifu richard wan, the group would be bigger. since he left whats left would be a drift.

the ratings are a guide line already set. if this group stays together for at least a year. watch the politics fly.......

I fail to see how assigning level/grading to CMA teachers can promote or create awareness of accomplishments by the Chinese Martial Art community. At best it will stroke the egos of a few and create resentments among others.

If the CMA community wants to get recognition and create a positive awareness of themselves they need to first of all pull together by doing positive things for the community at large. By this I mean altruistic service, not self-serving backslapping. More projects such as these - http://www.shaolinwushu.com/events - would go a long way in creating community, establishing networks and projecting positive awareness to the community at large. CMA is a rich and diverse cultural heritage and deserves better than having a small group making claims to cultural hegemony. As a further note, traditional CMA lineages have clear rules of designating, seniority, generations and titles like shifu, sigong etc. This level thing . . .
    well, it is just someone's idea of . . . well I don't know of what.

r.
    Last edited by rik; 04-03-2004 at 10:03 PM.

"As a further note, traditional CMA lineages have clear rules of designating, seniority, generations and titles like shifu, sigong etc. This level thing . . .
    well, it is just someone's idea of . . . well I don't know of what."

I agree 100%. It's so subjective. Should be interesting though.

I have much respect for all the sifus involved but between you and me, IMHO, it sounds like a method of generating $$ like a governing regulatory agency over CMA.

rik summarize it in a nut shell:

"I fail to see how assigning level/grading to CMA teachers can promote or create awareness of accomplishments by the Chinese Martial Art community. At best it will stroke the egos of a few and create resentments among others."

the event was cancelled.

perhaps they are making an attempt at replicating the duan system that is becoming the way in China with it's motion to melding all the Pai under one banner?

In which case, there would still be this other banner :P

And how could a person of one style judge negatively a person of another?
    I mean except by the obvious things such as clearly poor form, weakness, poor footing blatant mistakes, etc etc etc.

conversely how could a positive judgement be made if everything is only relative to what you know and not what is known by the player demonstrating?

It would ultimately have to come down to a lei tai match.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 04-06-2004 at 06:40 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

all i gotta say is blah. masters trying to get together and rate sifu's is a good idea, but i doubt most sifu's give a care what those guys think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

anyone know why it was cancelled?

or why I booked a flight and a hotel and paid $50.00 to attend the dinner?
    Oh well, Vancouver looks like a nice place to explore

I don't think it was cancelled. The one scheduled for March was cancelled and rescheduled for May. The website is old and has not been updated. Last I heard its still on.

Peace.