Thread: some mantis clips

Thank you.

Cool stuff. Broke a cardinal rule of boxing in that first clip though during the initial hand warm-ups.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Cool stuff. Broke a cardinal rule of boxing in that first clip though during the initial hand warm-ups.
    Would you mind explaining further? Or atleast pointing out his mistake?

Lightbulb well i think that in my opinion the cardinal rule is

that you really dont wanna show your training methods and regimen in such an elaborate video,,unless you just want to give this stuff away to people. also,,,in my opinion, being once a mantis practitioner,,, i dont really like the shoulder and hip knocking against the wall. this will,,in the long term, cause severe arthritis and actually takes away from the initial point of the training. best to do it with a partner while he holds a kick sheild. i mean if you ever do hit in to someone like that in a confrontation they are not going to be made of concrete(just an opinion here)

i do recognize the training methods with the back and forth boxing drills,,one thing though,,,mantis striking is traditionally done in a low stance(that broken bo stance, almost on one knee, this helps the springy feel of pick and play)and the footwork is more monkey like than, american boxing like.

you know my digital camera can take vid footage. at some point id like to demonstrate the mantis form i learned years ago (Bung bo) and post it here for all to bash critique or compliment on,hehehe.
    Peace,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Here are a large selection of quicktime clips of 2 man Mantis.
    The weapons are taught at the mantis school, but may not be considered mantis.

In the blue uniforms are from my video called Shaolin Babau Lien Huan Chuen.
    It is a Shaolin form similar to basic mantis postures.

http://tainan.colugo.org/

Originally posted by KWUsCRD

Would you mind explaining further? Or atleast pointing out his mistake?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Re: well i think that in my opinion the cardinal rule is

Originally posted by The Willow Sword
    i dont really like the shoulder and hip knocking against the wall. this will,,in the long term, cause severe arthritis and actually takes away from the initial point of the training. best to do it with a partner while he holds a kick sheild. i mean if you ever do hit in to someone like that in a confrontation they are not going to be made of concrete(just an opinion here)
    I believe this is just a form of body conditioning and does not hold any applicability in a fight other than getting your body used to taking a hit.

I don't know about that arthritis thing. I've heard people say that Thai boxing shin conditoining causes arthritis later in life, too. Um, hey guys, the shin is not a joint, and therefore you can't get arthritis in it.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

If you are both in the same stance (same foot forward) then you should never block his punch with your same arm. (ie block his left with your left) That leaves you open for a huge power shot especially if you are slapping your arm down like in the clip. I think it's similar to the centerline concept.

Different styles though. It was just an observation. I wouldn't have even noticed if I didn't have it drilled into my head time and time again to never do that. Used to set up newbs while sparring doing that because it was almost certain that they would. Good stuff there all in all.

Lightbulb explanations

Originally quoted by KWUsCRD
    I believe this is just a form of body conditioning and does not hold any applicability in a fight other than getting your body used to taking a hit
    Well actually in traditional mantis training the hips and shoulders are trained for striking or knocking into an opponent when in close.

origianlly quoted by Ironfist

I don't know about that arthritis thing. I've heard people say that Thai boxing shin conditoining causes arthritis later in life, too. Um, hey guys, the shin is not a joint, and therefore you can't get arthritis in it.
    you are right that the shin bone is not a joint,,,but the knee located just above and the ankle located just below are joints and when the shin is striking the hard surface it is causing shock to both the knee and the ankle,,PLUS,,the hip retains the shock as well. Over time this will be a detriment.

Peace,,,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Originally posted by IronFist
    Most people seem to call continuous, persistent pain "arthritis," just for lack of a better word.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Re: explanations

Originally posted by The Willow Sword

Well actually in traditional mantis training the hips and shoulders are trained for striking or knocking into an opponent when in close.
    You are correct. But I don't believe that is what they are doing in the video.