Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird bjj question

Weird bjj question (edit - two questions)

Alright, I was just grappling with my friend. I know I'm a total noob, but how do I avoid this?

I was in his guard, and he tapped me out by trapping both of my hands and squeezing my ribs just by squeezing his legs together. It hurt like hell so I had to tap out. wtf? I didn't think that was supposed to work. How do you counter someone crushing you like that? He's got really strong hip adductors. heh.

Apparently he has good pain tolerance in his inner thighs, too, cuz another time I was jamming both elbows in there and he's still squeezing into me like above.

Anyway, do I just suck royally, or how do you avoid/escape from someone doing that?

edit - He's a total noob and has no grappling experience before today. And yes, that was the only time I got tapped out. Now, the other thing I was going to ask was, I'm 5'9", 162lbs, 9%bf. He is 6'4", 190lbs, and about 9%bf, too. Is his 5" height advantage and 28lb weight advantage considered a big advantage in the fighting world? Like for the most part I had no trouble handling him (except for when I'm being crushed by his legs), but even tho I have more skill (I've had like 2 months of lessons only), should his size advantage give me trouble?

edit 2 - I changed the subject line, which you can see above, but it didn't change on the main forum. Why is that?
    Last edited by IronFist; 04-03-2004 at 05:59 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

His size is definitely an advantage, but won't guarantee a win. things in his favor are possibly reach and stronger strikes. He may be able to absorb more punishment also.

The scissor thing is just a nuissance....you shouldn't have tapped from that, just dealt with it - posture up, knee up his butt, angle off...basic guard pass. The thing about digging both of your elbows into his thighs is that he's got too much room to maneuver - you're not controlling his torso, allowing him to pivot, sit up, etc.

http://www.bjj.org/techniques/intheguard/guardpass1/

that's a guard pass variation where he controls the torso. it's easier with a gi - grab the gi lapels tight and keep your fist in his sternum, elbow down - like a vertical fist.

you have to be careful doing that though, as a tiny mistake will get you triangled.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks.

In that technique, I don't see what causes his feet to come apart tho (breaking his guard). Does just pushing his knee down by itself do it?

And when he was squeezing me, it seriously hurt like hell. I thought my ribs were about to crack. Even when I was in MMA class I've never had anyone squeeze that hard before. Crazy stuff.

Even when I was in MMA class I've never had anyone squeeze that hard before.
    because when you're rolling with other ground savvy people, you know that it doesn't work so why bother.

How do you avoid it? Pass his guard. or don;t let him get to his guard in the first place.

and Seven is right. you shouldn't have had to tap out ya big sissy.. (don't worry, we've all had to tap out to some wierd thing that we "shouldn't have"..)
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

Quite honestly, I think your body might simply be too soft or you have no pain tolerance. Or maybe it just freaked you out since you don't have a lot of grappling experience. I see no reason why something like that should make you tap, unless the other guy is much bigger than you and has herculean strength.

If you get more experienced with rolling and do resistance training to strengthen those muscles, he shouldn't be able to get you with that anymore.

Originally posted by IronFist

In that technique, I don't see what causes his feet to come apart tho (breaking his guard). Does just pushing his knee down by itself do it?

a few things - pressure - you have his body stacked, which is uncomfortable. It won't make anyone tap *AHEM* but it can break/aid in breaking a guard. Next, distance - his legs only reach so far.

Third, you're pressing on his knee, further opening him up. fourth (they don't show this in the pics, but we do it) is when you stand up - step 3 the pics - you move so that one of your legs is in between his and the other is outside of him, similar to how you position your knee at the base of the spine in a seated pass. While you are pressing down on his legs, sit down, weight on your back leg, front leg planted on the ground, knee in the air.

I know that explanation of the fourth step sucked... that step is optional if 1-3 don't break it. I'll try to find some pics of it somewhere...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

lol @ IF and resistance training

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

when somone has you in the scissor guard, elbow their freaking quads. Has worked for me. The elbow is such a useful combat tool.

Quite honestly, I think your body might simply be too soft or you have no pain tolerance.
    Or it could be that I have no meat on my ribs. Low bf will do that to you. It's the same reason I can't take a punch to the ribs (on the side).

How do you avoid it? Pass his guard. or don;t let him get to his guard in the first place.
    Haha, I was starting from in his guard.

I actually felt kind helpless when it was happening. That's what p.issed me off. He had both of my wrists trapped so I couldn't elbow his quads. I was like wtf? I guess I could have tried standing up but I didn't think about that cuz I was so surprised that it hurt that bad.

Or it could be that I have no meat on my ribs. Low bf will do that to you. It's the same reason I can't take a punch to the ribs (on the side).

Haha, I was starting from in his guard.

I actually felt kind helpless when it was happening. That's what p.issed me off. He had both of my wrists trapped so I couldn't elbow his quads. I was like wtf? I guess I could have tried standing up but I didn't think about that cuz I was so surprised that it hurt that bad.
    Well when you are on the mount position and they are in the guard you gotta remember a few things. For one, you have got gravity on your side. If they have a hold of your wrists get out of it. There is always a way to get out of any chin na, there is always a counter. Usually go towards the thumb is a good idea for chokes and joint locks. Rotate your hips and knee them in the groin. If they have your hands trapped on their torso use a phenoix eye or any knuckle and start digging into their rib cage. Grab the clavical.

However, you already answered your own question. You were in shock because you didn't know what to do. That is totally normal, and once you get past that I am sure you will do lots and lots better on the ground. Just don't tense up and struggle, remember to stay calm and feel out the grappling. If you are too tense you will not be able to tell until its too late.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    when somone has you in the scissor guard, elbow their freaking quads. Has worked for me. The elbow is such a useful combat tool.
    That's not reliable...Try it against someone who's been grappling for a while and you'll see what I mean.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I actually felt kind helpless when it was happening. That's what p.issed me off. He had both of my wrists trapped so I couldn't elbow his quads. I was like wtf?

Step 2 of the basic guard pass - get your elbows in tight. If they are in tight, he can't use them as levers, and grabbing your wrists won't do him alot of good.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Gangsterfist

Well when you are on the mount position and they are in the guard you gotta remember a few things.

you can't be mounted on someone AND be in their guard...

For one, you have got gravity on your side. If they have a hold of your wrists get out of it. There is always a way to get out of any chin na, there is always a counter. Usually go towards the thumb is a good idea for chokes and joint locks.

Grappler's don't usually lock the hand like that, they use a monkey grip - the thumb is on the same side as the fingers. It's a stronger grip than the one you are referring to.

Rotate your hips and knee them in the groin.

you can't - their legs are around you - their groin is in the air. If you knee them, it would be in the tailbone.

If they have your hands trapped on their torso use a phenoix eye or any knuckle and start digging into their rib cage.

pain tolerance...

Grab the clavical.

they WANT you to do that, as you have to extend your ams to do so... you would be either triangled or armbarred. Or, possibly swept, as you are bringing your weight forward to grab.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar

That's not reliable...Try it against someone who's been grappling for a while and you'll see what I mean.
    You could stab my inner thigh with butter knives and It's not going to phase me.

Grapplers build tolerance to the petty annoyances.. forget the "tricks" use the leverage of your elbow& lower forearm to pin his hip down while you create space.

1. protect yourself from immediate dangers

2. posture.

3. space.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

The gaurd is now a submission? Actually, tapping out can work in sparring because you're probably not gonna restart if someone taps from a gaurd, so you tap out unexpectadly, then go for something