Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weird bjj question

yeah, knife's right. when I read it, I though wtf? but just kinda dismissed it.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As for the original question about how to avoid the guard squeeze, here are a few things you might try:

- Keep your posture, then stand and use a standing guard pass to open and pass the guard. Standing makes it much harder to sqeeze.
    - If he is pulling you forward and you cannot stand, use the can-opener. Reach around behind his head with both hands and pull his head toward you while pushing your hips forward. He will not be able to keep squeezing and will probably have to open his guard. Just watch out if you do this against an experienced guard player, as he will hunt for an arm bar from there.
    - If he is pulling you down, but controlling your hands so that you cannot reach around his head, grab onto his pants in the lower abdominal/hip area. Use this as a frame, while you bring your elbows into his thighs. This may not open his guard, but your elbows pressing into his legs will keep him from finishing you with the squeeze.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 04-05-2004 at 08:51 PM.

"Another guy I train with every now and again has like 7 or 8 years bjj experience. He is very untraditional and just likes to spar and fight. Therefore, some of the terminology he uses is not "BJJ jargin" per se. He says whenever you are on top you are on the mount and the person on bottom is on the guard."

wtf??????????????????
    A

was the guy taking formal lessons?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well i think i saw someone else post it, but there is a semi-legit submission from there. I've never seen it break anything but it is extremely painful (for me at least!) and i've tapped a couple of guys with it, at very least you can use it to disrupt their breathing. Basicly for the subimssion to work you need to be on bottom and get double underhooks, then hug your arms around your closed guard and squeeze both your arms and your legs together. Only way i can think of to defend it is to not get into it, so try to keep him from underhooking you when you're on top. Otherwise it's basicly just something you have to endure

Or, more than likely, he has had just a few BJJ lessons and claims years of experience- a pretty common occurrence. There is a huge distinction between being in someone's guard and having the mount.
    I've usually noticed the exact opposite Just last week a guy came in and said he had no training, next thing you know he's passing guard, mounting etc, swung for leglocks and ****, and his response when confronted with it was "yea i saw it in the UFC". Then his next practice he puts a pretty good guy to sleep.
    Free thinkers are dangerous!

Originally posted by qeySuS
    I've usually noticed the exact opposite Just last week a guy came in and said he had no training, next thing you know he's passing guard, mounting etc, swung for leglocks and ****, and his response when confronted with it was "yea i saw it in the UFC". Then his next practice he puts a pretty good guy to sleep.
    If you train at a BJJ school, you will get the guys who have trained a lot who will claom less training than they have. You'll also get the guys who claim to be injured and say they just want to roll easy, then power into an arm bar as hard as they can.

It's in the "non-grappling" schools you will get the guys who claim more experience than they have. That's because they can get away with it there, but would be quickly found out at a BJJ school.

In each case, they are trying to look better than they actually are.

You'll also get the guys who claim to be injured and say they just want to roll easy, then power into an arm bar as hard as they can.
    I hate that guy...

and in judo class "light randori" will always get a chuckle out of anyone who's been around for at least a few years.. such a thing doesn't exist after one person gets thrown.
    Last edited by ShaolinTiger00; 04-07-2004 at 08:14 AM.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I hate that guy too... he's responsible for popping my arm last year.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

How come in pic 3, the guy who is getting passed, doesn't just go for an armbar, or is that a counter...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

NP, prolly because he's pushing him down with the hand that's on his chest, and he's got one hand/elbow at the guys hip. So, if he opens his guard here, the guy standing will push his hips/legs down, and be 1/2 way to passing guard.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Cool, thanks Ralphie...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

also, the hand on the hip keeps the leg checked - he will feel the motion of the hip, so if the guy did attempt to arm bar, he'd know and respond accordingly (brazilian chai sau ) controlling his hips and pressure on the chest also makes it extremely dificult to move in sucha a direction.

In the next frame, notice that he's controlling the opposite leg now - same thing applies - he's keeping the leg checked so the guy can't do anything with it.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter