Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reverse punch works in MMA

Its still all relative. It depends on need.

Persoanlly, I wouldn't do more than one or two reverses in set, And only if it was called for in the flow of things.

Its still drawing and releasing the arm. When mounting and pounding, most times its the elbows back version. When first approaching its the elbows down version. People get too hung up on trivialities. It worked for him at the moment and to a formidable opponent.

Matt,

I haven't "rolled" anything for years.

GDA, you can have left crosses and right crosses, and you can alternate them.

In a traditional boxing sense, (left foot and hand lead), jab is a left straight punch and cross is a straight right that comes across the body (cuz your right hand is a little behind your left).

But you can alternate right cross, left cross, right cross, etc., in a row, by stepping appropriately. It can be pretty effective, but it's not the fastest combo in the world.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

actually, the reverse punch is more of a straight right than a cross... The difference is minute enough that is doesn't really matter though, I suppose.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Its still all relative. It depends on need.

Persoanlly, I wouldn't do more than one or two reverses in set, And only if it was called for in the flow of things.

Its still drawing and releasing the arm. When mounting and pounding, most times its the elbows back version. When first approaching its the elbows down version. People get too hung up on trivialities. It worked for him at the moment and to a formidable opponent.
    Are you suggesting that placement or the guarding hand is trivial?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Not trivial, relative. Look it up.

English, its whats for dinner. Are we two people separated by a common language?

rel·a·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (rl-tv)
    adj.

1. Having pertinence or relevance; connected or related.
    2. Considered in comparison with something else: the relative quiet of the suburbs.
    3. Dependent on or interconnected with something else; not absolute. See Synonyms at dependent.

The trivialities are what we do here on the board; mincing words, arguing terms, defining, redefining and reinventing the wheel, etc.

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    People get too hung up on trivialities.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

ah, gotcha.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

beat ya to it

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Alrighty!

Yeah it worked in this instance. Maybe that's because, although it resembles a street fight, the truth is the UFC is still a sporting event, albeit with very liberal rules. The reverse punch has always worked in competition, but like Sev' * said, in reality 9 x out of 10 that kind of chambering rear leg punch will get you KTMFO.

The big technique in tournament karate (full contact) is still the reverse hand.The bread-and-butter karate punch for the reals is a lead hand tech. It's just closer to your target, usually. Like a good jab in boxing it can dictate or even begin to end a fight.

Tito is awesome and he would kick all our arses. He defintely ain't no slouch, but Chuck is a very good striker and a good wrestler. Standing up against the cage like that limits maneuverability. Liddell got him cornered and was just straight up rockin' him. He stole his balance by being offensive. A good, proactive and fast striker with functional knowledge of grappling, stands a good chance in the MMA ring or on the street. I'm not downplaying either of these cats arse-kickin' ability whatsoever. They could probably eat scrap metal and s-h-i-t bullets.

Another thing is that Chuck threw an awesome four punch combo there. Right Cross/Reverse Punch, a stiff (lead) left "jab", followed by another reverse punch and a cracking left hook. <<TWEET TWEET TWEET!!!>> Homey was out.

There's something to be said for putting your punches together. You shoukd never rely on that one punch K.O. crap. Make it fo' sheez' ! Excellent skills by Chuck, I don't feel that they were trash techs. It was appropriate for the venue.

That was a dope UFC!

BTW, the Spurs are gonna win it all, again...
    Last edited by 'MegaPoint; 04-07-2004 at 02:09 AM.
    The morrow beckons...