Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Wah Lum, Pong Lai, Politics, HuaLinLaoShr

Absolutely

TCB, I couldn't agree with you more. I absolutely agree with the notion of setting the standard; the MA community should be one step ahead of the spider, so people would realize Wu De by our example.

I was trying to symphatize with y'all, that's all. Now I can see how my post could also be interpreted as trying to donwplay y'all's situation. That was not at all my intention. I apologize for unclear and ambiguous wording.

I know what y'all are going through (I have been through something similar as probably have many other people reading this thread), so I was offering my support and understanding.
    Your situation suxors. But many times a solution can be found. I hope this is one of those times

BTW, here is something I posted on another thread recently that kind is OT but relates to some aspects of this thread (also to the difficulty of bringing Wu De to people, to which TCB referred). Read it or not, it's a little OT.

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...850#post469850

Good luck, y'all

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Mantis is a very complex fighting art. Most people cannot just "figure it out on your own".As such,all the better to have an open forum on the subject. You can show me every secret you've ever learned. Doesn't mean I can do them.
    phoenixdog

Greetings..

Mantis or any Martial Art that claims, as its purpose, to be "Martial" is obligated to offer instruction in the use of the system as a "fighting art".. any instructor level student should be able to hold his or her own in competitive sparring.. and, any school with national recognition should be regularly represented at full-contact tournaments.. Accordingly, there should be observable techniques demonstrating which style a fighter represents, otherwise why stay in any particular style.. i see little if any distinguishing stylistic traits in most of the tournaments i go to..

That brings up the passing of the style's perceived worth from one generation to the next.. to leave it to the student to figure out is an abdication of the responsibility of preserving the style and its value.. in the event that a particular style has lost its "stuff", it should be billed as a traditional art form, not a "Martial Art".. a "Martial Art" should be willing to accept challenges and prevail on the merits of the style.. when i see a Muay Thai fighter i know what style i am watching.. the same should be true of each particular style.. and it is the responsibility of the leadership of a style to teach and enforce their "Martial Lineage"..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Thumbs down

Since I read this entire thread out of curiosity, I thought I would post.

On the matter of the one way street named respect...that sucks big time. My heart goes out to you all. Sounds like many at Wah Lum need an arse kicking, but this goes through the world over too.

On the matter of the pregnant wife yelling...if my own blood father yelled at my wife while she was pregnant, I would immediately, with unreasonable force, make him, apologize.

Tao

Tao Yin

I think it is a shame that you would make an opinion of a person or a complete system from the info you get on the net. Do you know all the people who are posting here? They may be the ones causing problems. Unless you have met both sides you could not make that determination.

I am not defending this particular system, but I see this kind of thing happen in many systems and get a little tired of the politics.

Some times people need to be yelled at. I am sure that you have even yelled at your wife once or twice. How would you make your father apologize? Beat him half to death with your mantis techniques?

Not trying to offend, just sharing some thoughts

Have a good day

I think this thread has outlived its purpose.

Smile

Sayloc,

Hello. Thank you for your thoughts. I painstakingly try to make no opinions based on anything other than my own personal experiences. I wasted a few grand, long ago. I do not know all of the people involved; I have only met a few.

I live in China. I understand, as best I can, traditional chinese kung fu school thought. Basically, when much money is involved, it's "I say, you do, you no like, you leave." It's arrogant.

I completely agree with you. Sometimes people need to be yelled at. Sometimes people need to be beaten too. It all depends on the situation, of course. And yes, if my father was being ridiculously rude to my pregnant girl and acting like a child, while he was walking away, I would walk up behind him, slap him on the back just hard enough to get his attention, and I would say, "please apologize" very kindly. Oh, and I remember few NPM techniques.

Tao
    Last edited by TAO YIN; 11-12-2004 at 08:33 AM.

Tao

Can't argue with that!

I hope your father isnt better at the mantis than you!
    Could mean trouble for you

nothing has any meanning other than that whitch you give it. to me WL has no meanning.

yu shan
    Maybe he means he put it in his money belt. HA! Sorry, bad joke.

shang wu
    So what's the word on the Li En Jiu seminar? Post the info.

Cool

hehehe!

I said wasted, as in money, not waisted.

Hua Lin, how is big Mike these days? Does he still live across the street?

"Ta Tong Long shi hen hao." His Mantis is very good.

Tao

I was replying to yu shan. He said 'waisted'.

I can't pm or email you and 'you know who' doesn't like being mentioned in a public forum so I can't tell you what he's up to these days.

Email me at hualinmantis@yahoo.com