Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far has UFC moved from NHB?

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    i dunno, I think it has broken past the point you feel it is. maybe not by much but:

george clooney among others in the crowd???

mandalay sold out?

somebody's making money, it's just not the fighters yet.

which is wrong. I wouldn't step into the ring vs. Tito or Liddel for less than a helluvalotomoney.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The original UFCs was the closest to NHB 1 on 1 real fighting. No gloves...and the WORST...size mismatch! Another oddity was the hugh number of BROKEN HANDs within the first UFCs. Almost everyone had hand damage except the GRAPPLERs. Also SIZE DOES MATTER.
    A

Originally posted by EarthDragon
    Star chaser, to answer your question although it may have changed my shrfu was on the board of directors and my kung fu brother Joel Sutton won UFC 6 & 7 for the alternate bouts and was paid just a few hundred dollars for both. Again this was in the begining of the UFC and not very popular for the main stream. Pay offs may have went up but in those days the tittle bout was under 5,000.

I also hosted Yoshiki Takahashi world pancrase champion in my school for the Niagra Falls fight which he went on to win the tittle but broke his hand in the proccess, he was paid 2,500
    I'm sure they've gone up. Some guys from my club have fought in other events, like revolution, viking fight (denmark) and danger zone and gotten more than that. Also, there are some grappling only competitions aroung where the winner takes about 3,000...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

just watch pride if you wanna see a downed opponent get kicked

Is there a 'road to the UFC' ?

can anyone (seven??) list some of the mma events that would want to fight in if your goal was the UFC?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

Randy made in the ballpark of 120,000 to spank Tito. (from mma.tv)

If you want to fight in UFC you should probably have experience in at least one of the following:
    King of the Cage
    IFC
    Gladiator's Challenge

Before any of those you'd probably need some experience in something more regional:
    Combat Zone
    King of the Ring
    Battle at the Beach
    ...list can go on for a while
    These are basically small regional shows for beginners to get some experience. Wouldn't say there's a huge amatuer circuit, but these events allow fighters to get experience before trying to go pro.

MerryPrankster can probably go a lot more into it seeing as how he's competed and is better friends with dudes like Jeff Ruth.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

thanks, I'll look around and see if there's anything close to NC.

King of the Ring is in virginia beach and that don't seem TOO far from you. They've got muay thai fights as well as mma.
    Someone on this board has been talking about doing mma at that one, and I'm assuming it's amateur.
    So yah there might be a bunch of us baltimore guys at the next one on the 8th of May.
    There's another one in June and/or August too if May's too soon.
    I wanna fight Muay Thai in that event.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

yeah, start local and work up. most of our guys started here, then went on to events like revolution and danger zone. KOTC would be a good one.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

whoa, I just wanna watch...check out my LT match video again...I got a long way to go before I'm ready to go 15 min or even 9.

but, I didn't like the LT rules or the headgear at all. IF I can change a couple of things in my life and get a good 3 month build up prior to it...I'd like to say I at least got my ass whupped in a mma fight.

There's dozens of local-level MMA shows in Jersey, too - Reality Fighting, Ring of Combat, BAMMA Fight Nights, etc.

As far as pricing - MMAWeekly has an article on the front page doing a breakdown of what fighters make in various promotions.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/this_week/n...wednesday.html
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn