Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: CMA type roundhouse in Muy Thai?

I'm so glad you identify with idiots.

Holy ****! Your not the infamous KFDW??!?! are you? ROFL. No I didn't make the connection. If that's you, no wonder you so totally spazzed out. You practically busted a nut over there too at the implication that people should keep routed during sparring.

If that wasn't you, then I'm still in the dark about your alleged vendetta.

I actually did read the thread. All those quotes were from ST not me. You took them out of context to bend them you your evil will. If you really are KFDW then I'll see you later. Have fun ranting.

btw,

You've never read "The Idiot" have you? It doesn't sound like you got the reference.

I'm leaving the typo up ther because I just read my post and realized what a funny typo it was. Oh well.

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00
    MK

I'd hardly call Carter Williams 2 wicked right crosses a "jab", but they did KO Rufus.

Yes as you saw jab/cross is a suitable counter for a "round" kick provided you have two things.

1. an acceptance that you're going to take the kick.

2. You see that his guard is down. if not then you don't get the counter and you take the shot.

imho a more effective counter is like-minded to these straight punches, but more powerful and longer reaching. - the front kick (teep) it will disrupt (As Abel mentioned) their motion, keep you at a good range for motion, launcing offense etc and score some damage. (might knock them down if you plant it right on the hip for those foolish to stand "on tippy toes" - poor support.
    You're right. They were hooks. I remembered that after reading your post. Stopped Rofous cold.

I guess what I was asking is, I see a lot of people drop their lead hand to their side when they execute a MT roundhouse. I'm assuming this is because you tourque the whole body on the kick to get more power. But if that is the case, it seems like your face is exposed quite a bit.

Like this:
    http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/pross2.jpg

I'm not flaming LKFMDC or Sanda. It was just the first place I thought of to look for a pic. Is that the proper hand placement on a MT kick?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller

Like this:
    http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/pross2.jpg

I'm not flaming LKFMDC or Sanda. It was just the first place I thought of to look for a pic. Is that the proper hand placement on a MT kick?
    Again, there's not a right or wrong way here. People throw the arm back like that as a counter balance. They say they get more power. They also open themselves up for a possible cross.

In my gym, we don't do that. We will lift our guard a few inches higher and slightly in the direction of the kick so that the hands stay up and the body all moves in the same direction.

Also, we will push (not punch) you in the face and then kick. It gets your body going backwards, helps me find my range, and hides the kick. This is the one that I prefer.

All methods are valid if you know WHY you are doin WHAT.

I still think the use of both types of round house kicks are situational. I actually think that not giving the cma rh consideration is the same kind of dogmatic thinking that exposed tma's when mma came around. I've used it against resisting and experienced mma and Thai practitioners. Is it a low % move? Not if it is set up properly. It's not like you would sit there and kick at someone over and over like they do in TKD tourneys. Thai RH can be low % moves if you use them in the wrong situation. Also, from my understanding, different MT schools emphasize different skills, as well as teach some things differently. So, the ways to deliver a MT RH can be different, even if it is just slight.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

I don't think it's an issue of low %, just an issue of less power. I can see it being of use though.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

CMA kick done by MT stylist

Earlier, I posted a reply, saying a friend of mine had his shin broken by a CMA kick. The guy who happen to break his shin was his cousin, a thai national who had just retired from professional thai boxing. He used the ball of the feet and not the shin. Apparently, he does not follow a typical MT roundhouse for most of his kicks, he uses the same way of swinging the leg to hit the target like a muay thai fighter, but hits the target with the ball of the feet.

Originally posted by Water Dragon

Again, there's not a right or wrong way here. People throw the arm back like that as a counter balance. They say they get more power. They also open themselves up for a possible cross.

when you do the kick, you step, sink and lean in the direction of the step. This *should* keep you out fo range of the cross.

Also, we will push (not punch) you in the face and then kick. It gets your body going backwards, helps me find my range, and hides the kick. This is the one that I prefer.

yeah, you can definitely set the kick up with strikes.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Ralphie
    Also, from my understanding, different MT schools emphasize different skills, as well as teach some things differently. So, the ways to deliver a MT RH can be different, even if it is just slight.
    yeah, MT is no different from any other art in that respect. You have coaches that favor knees, some that favor kicks, some elbows... some prefer traditional thai style punching, while others prefer western boxing style.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

I was taught to throw the lead hand back. I can't open the link for comparison. When doing partnered drills though we were also taught specifically to punch to the kickers face when he kicked.

The face shouldn't be open because:

1. As Water Dragong pointed out, your leaning down and to the side as you step.

2. The lead hand may go back down but the rear hand comes up to protect your face.

Oh and it's not just for more power. It sets up that hand for a mean follow-up to the kick. Jab--->kick--->cross. Not the most creative combo in the world but it's not a classic for nothing. Hand goes back as the kick goes out. Leg goes back as the cross goes out.

Originally posted by SevenStar

yeah, MT is no different from any other art in that respect. You have coaches that favor knees, some that favor kicks, some elbows... some prefer traditional thai style punching, while others prefer western boxing style.
    What's the difference between trad. thai punching and Western boxing?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

thai punches are of the straight variety only, from what I'm told - no hooks or uppercuts. Also, the thai punches angle downward - probably a result of the high guard some use.

This is what I've heard - our punches are western boxing.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

"You practically busted a nut over there too at the implication that people should keep routed during sparring. "

Rooted is one thing. Stop-action robo-fu is another.

Either way the statement is bullshizz. I had plenty of root.

Incidentally, I was taught to place the foot facing outwards, AND to pivot on the ball of the foot.

I pivot, because I feel like I have more power that way than when I don't.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn