Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning Point in WC Development

Turning Point in WC Development

One of the problems I have is to remain calm when hands are all over me. My self-preservation instincts just kick in and I would slug it out with the perceived danger. I wonder how did you overcome this ego problem and the special circumstances that help to bring this about? I'm very interested in any insights that you like to share to our forum.

Thanks,
    PH

Re: Turning Point in WC Development

Hi Paul,

Originally posted by PaulH
    One of the problems I have is to remain calm when hands are all over me. My self-preservation instincts just kick in and I would slug it out with the perceived danger. I wonder how did you overcome this ego problem...
    I'll let you know when I've figured it out.

I think you have to accept the fact that there are people who are better than you (more aggressive than you, bigger, faster, whatever) and accept the fact that they are probably going to hit you. Many many times. Just accept it and focus on what you have to work on. But I have a tough time doing this myself so who am I to talk...

Regards,
    Alan

a]
    chi sau is not fighting or a sparring match
    b] refer to ''a''

islolate what your working on if your partner can't help you go find another partner

if you go balls out when your under pressure then you don't belong there

your training prior didn't prepare you for that

c] you take things personal , nothing personal in training either your getting something from it or your wasteing your time

d] refere to ''b''
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

invest in loss
    If you have real skill, everything is dangerous.

* remember all serious practictioners are life long students

Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai Jiang

I've been thinking about this problem for a while. I don't see what is happening clearly during the chi sau sessions and my timing is sporatic and wild- sometimes too slow or suddenly too fast with many blissful unawareness spots in between. Receive what comes is my biggest obsession right now! Ha! Ha! Thank you guys for the cool tips! My head is a little pacified now.

Regards,
    PH

if you're scared of the contact maybe take a class in a style where they'll throw you around a bit...like aikdo or bjj or something....just to get used to having pain inflicted by someone else.....

then take up some meditation and learn to detatch from it......if you can breath and stay calm and keep thinking while you're being thrown...you should be half way there

I've been thinking about this problem for a while. I don't see what is happening clearly during the chi sau sessions and my timing is sporatic and wild- sometimes too slow or suddenly too fast with many blissful unawareness spots in between. Receive what comes is my biggest obsession right now! Ha! Ha! Thank you guys for the cool tips! My head is a little pacified now.

Regards,
    PH
    There is no problem, just phenomenon to face.

Thoughts and different perspectives cannot replace lack of confident.

Rigid and dully hold on to a freeze view is not going to yield clarity.

Training in ideas and logic and science and meditation cannot replace zen.

Hendrik,

We have two brains - the left and right sides. The left is the logical thinking side and the right is the non-logical and intuitive wisdom side. If the left brain is too dominant and when the situation is not fitting well with the logics, it might cause a mind breakdown especially under intense pressure. So I am working on allowing the intuitive brain or "core" mind to have most control by staying calm. Breathing calmly and being relaxed in mind is what I am tinkering here and now. =)

Blooming Lotus: Thanks, I did have some jarring contacts before. Never quite successfully counting the number of stars swirling in the drowsy calmness. Ha! Ha!
    Last edited by PaulH; 04-09-2004 at 08:35 AM.

Hendrik,

We have two brains - the left and right sides. The left is the logical thinking side and the right is the non-logical and intuitive wisdom side. If the left brain is too dominant and when the situation is not fitting well with the logics, it might cause a mind breakdown especially under intense pressure. So I am working on allowing the intuitive brain or "core" mind to have most control by staying calm. Breathing calmly and being relaxed in mind is what I am tinkering here and now. =)

There is a different between working with the five fingers to make a punch and to keep thinking about how five fingers become a punch...

Ofcause everyone's free choice which path to take.

Ha! Ha! I think I know what I think you say!

Ha! Ha! I think I know what I think you say!
    Cant used mind to work into beyond mind. One needs to find a way to stretch the mind but not work with the mind in logic.... loop.

Change your breathing patten then somethings will change with your body experience and the mind will be stretched...........that is the first step toward beyond mind.

But dont use your "programmed" mind either left or right..... to.... it doesnt work that way...... you are just writting another program trying to cover up the old program. That doesnt get rid of the old program. what you need is a reset and clear key to push. Thus, breath differently to change your physical, circulation, experience...........
    Last edited by Phenix; 04-09-2004 at 09:15 AM.

The third, and possibly greatest, addition by Oyama in his synthesis of kyokushin karate is the concept of Zen. In a Zen state of mind, one thinks nothing. The mind is completely cleared of all intruding thoughts and emotions. The mind simply relaxes; it does not focus precisely on any particular detail. The mind focuses on nothing, yet perceives everything. Can this concept not be put to great use in karate?

Today in Japan, Mas Oyama heads the International Karate Organization, Kyokushin, one of the largest karate federations in the world.
    While fighting, you stand facing your opponent. When the opponent attacks, you must quickly determine an attack is coming, what form it will take, where it is aimed, etc. All of this information must be relayed to the brain, where the decision is made about how to react. The brain must send a message to the body, telling it how to defend itself. This entire process takes only a fraction of a second, but what if the incoming attack is a fraction of a second faster?

If, on the other hand, you are in a Zen state while in combat, you perceive not the individual attack, but the entire situation. Your mind and body act as one, bypassing the normal reaction time to automatically perform the necessary defense measure. The normal thought process in an attack is: perception, contemplation and, finally, reaction. With Zen, you can bypass the contemplation phase and react directly after perception. Oyama, having realized this, has gone so far as to say "Karate is Zen," a thus, he makes Zen an integral part of his system.

--------------------------------------------

What do you see Oyama was trying to say? Stretch to the ultimate?

Paul,

there's a dynamic balance structural drill I've shown Ernie which should help with that.

Basically, have someone push on you while you step in to close on them (stepping explosively), and try not to allow the push to interrupt your momentum. As you close more explosively and the pushes get harder you are basically taking stiff shots to the body on the way in, learning to handle them with your body. Once this doesn't bother you, and you can keep the right stuff loose, you should start to understand how to chill under fire.

The other option is to just get beaten on by someone really good until you figure out how to survive best (which basically means stop twitching or you'll bleed more).

Both work.

Andrew

Oh yeah,

learn to love impact- whichever end of it you're on.

Andrew

Originally posted by AndrewS

The other option is to just get beaten on by someone really good until you figure out how to survive best (which basically means stop twitching or you'll bleed more).

Oh yeah,

learn to love impact- whichever end of it you're on.

Ernie,

Ask Paris to do that will be a great strecth of your horizon!