Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have self defence in Gym...

Martial Joe Guest

I have self defence in Gym...

It is funny...the gym teacher is teaching a bunch of girls how to "defend" themselves...

They are probably going to get full of confidence and go get beaten up.

Anyway...He is a cop so he was showing everyone what he can do...it looked to be a mix of karate and boxing.But it is kinda odd being who I am and having a guy who isnt that great at all trying to teach you how to fight...the punching and kicking he was doing was the oposite of wing chun,so it was kinda ocward.
    I go there for ****s and gigles anyway...its pretty cool.He did talk about the horse stance though,I may ask him next week when I have gym again what they teach him in the police station...anyone know?

Does anyone else have or had this in school?

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

CanadianBadAss Guest

Tai bo

In my gym class they have us do Tai Bo. They put on Billy Blanks videos and make us follow along. And my gym teacher even came over to me once and tried to "correct" my form. Supposedly I'm supposed to lift my heel up when I punch, and my vertical punch should actually be horizontal...

|) /- | | |
    | / |_| |__

rogue Guest
    Wow, all we did was dodgeball(which should be an Olympic sport), climb ropes and wrestle.

"Americans don't have the courage to come here," Mullah Mohammed Omar, leader of the Taliban who right about now is getting jiggy with his first of 70 virgins.

“Are you guys ready? Let’s roll.” Last words of Todd Beamer heard over his mobile line right before rushing a hijacker.

Martial Joe Guest
    Badanus~I dont think us wing chun guys should be doing this stuff :D :rolleyes:

Rougue~Yeah there is stuff like that too...When you went to school was it like the show wonder years?

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

Kung Lek Guest
    oooo, rope climbing.

i know girls who... nevermind.

yes, it is odd that people would try to work in "self defense" into a gym class without the proper credentials.

Now if your gym teacher brought in a guest such as a kung fu teacher, or a boxing champ, that would be useful.

but a gym teacher with no solid background? hmmmm
    as for the policeman, they are taught a variety of things, but not all of them are widely proficient in martial arts.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

CanadianBadAss Guest

Kung Lek

I don't think he was really tring to teach us "self defense", it was more like a tai bo "work out"...

|) /- | | |
    | / |_| |__

Xebsball Guest
    Not really related to your topic but...
    I've just witnessed some suspicius probably illegal activities going on in my street.
    Its 1:40 and a car with 2 or 3 people, one of them a male stops by. Two girls come to the car and start talking (cant really understand what they say since I'm watching from my apartament that is on the 5th floor).
    One of them leaves, the other one is still there. This one leaves too, comes back and talks some more stuff. The other one returns. Now i can hear they say some girls name and a cel phone number (998448 or something). They get in the car and all leave.
    Could it be selling drugs? Or prostitution? Or terrorism?

-------------------------
    "You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
    Master Deltoo
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

Martial Joe Guest
    Kung Lek :D :D Those girls...
    But anyway...he isnt good and he doesnt tell it how it is...I think I would be better of teaching it with words them him doing that class his way.
    He never mentioned that when a guy is trying to rape a girl(most of the people in there are female)that they dont try and box you...they are there to kick your ass and have sex with you.
    People are sick and violant and if they want you that bad and they are that gross they will do whatever it takes...so your better off saying something to distract the guy and run like hell...
    But he didnt mention these kinda things...all he didnt mention was there are sick people out there these days...he almost teaches self defence like it is a sport(like boxing)...
    Thats all for now...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

Martial Joe Guest
    X~Maybe they were chasing cows while wearing their cow suits????

IXIJoe KaveyIXI

IronFist Guest
    Wow, all we did was dodgeball(which should be an Olympic sport),

Hell yes.

Iron

OdderMensch Guest

you mean after all my years of training.....

I can't lead the US Olympic Dodge Ball team!?!

not an Olympic sport!

:(

Hey MJ, just wait till he pulls out his old UFC tapes and says "now we'll see some real life aplications....."

Watchman Guest

MJ,

>>>what they teach him in the police station...anyone know?<<<

It entirely depends on the particular department he belongs to, and how keen the dept. administration is in doling out bucks to get their officers trained.

In my particular neck of the woods, LEOs get some rudimentary training in POST (which in reality amounts to nothing more than three different Aikido locks).

The local PD's deputy chief happens to be a black belt in Shorinji Kempo, and is very intent on making sure his officers pick up as much arrest control as possible. When he was still a lowly police captain and in charge of the SERT, he would run the team members through 4 hour straight H2H training sessions once a week.

The Sheriff's department, however, is another story. The current Sheriff isn't too keen on doling out money for equipment upgrades, much less H2H or arrest control training, so most of the deputies on staff who are serious about becoming proficient in empty hand control methods have to go outside.

I did hear a rumor that some Wing Chun guy was teaching their ERT for a while, and some of the deputies hung on afterwords as regular students. ;)

honorisc Guest

Xebsball

Undetermined, what it is.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Kaitain(UK) Guest
    I spent Sunday correcting everything my daughter was taught on Friday.

Wrist grab escapes ffs! When someone wraps his arms around you from behind, kick the knee so he can't chase you! And other bollocks like that

She's 12 for crying out loud - her only hope is scream and run, or if her attacker is too close - scream, kick straight in the nuts and run. I don't believe you should train 12 year old kids to fight rather than run. It's just plain irresponsible to give them confidence that won't be there when/if the are assaulted.

grrr

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

Martial Joe Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's just plain irresponsible to give them confidence that won't be there when/if the are assaulted.
    [/quote]
    Thats what I was talking about too...

Watchman...do you think a cop should tell people things more then try to train them how to fight in a few weeks 2 times a week for about 45 minuts...
    I think he should be more on setting things straight then giving people confidence that dont know anything about a real fight...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI