Thread: Latest Acquistion

Smile Latest Acquistion

Thanks to KWUsCRD and the magic of Ebay, I purchase a charming little book titled "Zi Mu Lian Huan Quan" by Zhang Xiang San (Bio on Mantiscave) .

This small size book of 88 pages contains one of the work of this famous Liuhe Tanglang master who lived in Taiwan after WWII. Interestingly, he didn't call this Tanglang at all despite there are terminologies that are specific to Tanglang.

There are couple of very interesting concepts in this "form" which was a creation of Zhang Xiang San possibly around 1968.

First the idea of Zi Mu (children and mother)

there are 4 fist strikes as the mother(s):

Bai Quan: Swing step punch
    Gua Quan: Hang and punch
    Quan Quan: Roundhouse punch
    Pi Quan: Splitting puch

then from each punch there are 4 following movements as the children. That's a total of 20 moves.

Because of the simplistic yet sophisticated approach, Zhang wrote, it is quite suitable for training the troops. He figures 3 months time is enough to complete the training for this form. If there are 20 troops in a file, they can each teach 20 others in another 3 months. In other words, 420 people will know this form by 6 months time. The whole army can complete this in a year. If this is first taught to civilians, that they could enter the army as received basic training in Kung Fu. This is quite a noble idea. It is very interesting to see the rationale behind one of Zhang's works.

If there is an interest in the techniques involved, I would be delighted to further the review.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Dear Mantis108:

I would love to hear more about this. Even more, would like to know how to purchase a copy of such a text.

Although I am not current in mantis, I did learn (recently) the first training form of the Liuhe tanglang quan system, Liuhe Duan Chui---Six Harmony Short Punch--technically its not a praying mantis form but a Six Harmony form.

A fairly well respected martial artist once remarked that Liuhe praying mantis would probably be the system that best fits me. I have yet to learn a form but it would be the one thing I would be interested in learning from the mantis system.

Thanks and if you wish, you can PM regarding this subject.

Bob
    "Its better to build bridges rather than dig holes but occasionally you have to dig a few holes to build the foundation of a strong bridge."

"Traditional Northern Chinese Martial Arts are all Sons of the Same Mother," Liu Yun Qiao

Cool text

Even cooler context..

thank you.........

practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Re: Latest Acquistion

Originally posted by mantis108

If there is an interest in the techniques involved, I would be delighted to further the review.
    Please do so.

Smile Further review...

Hi RAF,

The book seemed to be in mint condition and the price in HK dollar is scratched off. It was shipped out from Victoria, BC. I have a feeling that this could be a "trial run" on Ebay for some little unknown bookstore operation. But that just my "conspiracy theory." Anyway, this goes to say there are sometime interesting and worthy find on Ebay.

I will PM you later to work out something with you. Hope you don't mind.

Warm regards

Robert

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Smile Further Review part deux

Hi Northern Practitioner,

Thank you and glad you enjoy it.

Hi KWUsCRD,

First and foremost, thank you my friend for directing my attention to this charming book.

We have to bear in mind that this book is written with training the troops as its prime objective. So the format is consistant with other training manuals of the military and law enforcement agencies. I have 2 other manuals, one is written by Han Hsing Tang for the Taiwan police (pretty old too). The other one is more recent (1980s) by a Canadian Army instructor for the now disbanded special service force. Anyway the point is they share some common characteristics which is crucial to how and why techniques are presented in a specific way. It is of note that the chocie of techniques in Zhang's manual and the Canadian manual being totally independent source is remarkably similar. Hang Hsing Tang 's police manual has more to do with restraining the subject by means of Chin Na. So it is not quite the same animal.

One major difference between Zhang's and the Canadian Manual is that Zhang is less detailed while the Canadian one is maticulous in every respect imaginable. Both seek to destory the opponent with strikes and kicks. Actually, Zhang is a bit more sophisticated IMHO in that he designed a "form" and that the moves have provisions for takedowns and throws although they are not covered in the manual. *another indoor secret thing, lol...*

Here a brief analysis of Zhang's techniques:

All the "mother" techniques are counter to incoming attack. This is typical military training where the troops form battle formation and await commands which is vital to the survival of the military pricinpal, discipline, and code since antiqueties. All "children" techniques could lead to joint locks/breaks, takedown/throws, etc...

Bai Quan: Swing step punch

This is to move off the incoming line of attack and deliver a counter punch to the rib or solar plex whichever is availabe. This is most elemantary and essential especially if the opponent has a knife or bayonet. The moves that follow include groin strike and armbar.

Gua Quan: Hang and punch

This is found in TJPM and many other MA including Karate. The idea is offense and defense together. This move actually is found in the Canadian Manual as well. The following moves include low kick to the shin, elbow and back fist.

Quan Quan: Roundhouse punch

This move is remarkably similar to what Tainan showed me. At first, roundhouse to the head seems to be odd in a military setting because there is helmet protection. But then roundhouse can also be used as neck hold or choke hold. So helmet or not helmet really doesn't matter. The following moves are groin strikes, character ten kick, forearm chop (kind of like beng chui), and mandarin duck kick. It is important to note that the terminology in the book is different in naming the moves.

Pi Quan: Splitting puch

This is quit intriguing in that it is similar to charater ten chop (hammer fists) or five punches found in Greater Meihwa community. The following moves includes throat strike, knee strike, hammer to the ear, groin kick and last but not least double helping! Again the main concern is the helmet factor. BTW, Zhang worn daily clothings while Canadian manual models are in combat fatigues including boots and helmets. But, I think there might be something that I am overlooking. So I will have to work on this one a bit more.

There is actually a sonnet, which list all 20 moves in order, preceding the main context . This functions as a memory aide. At the end of the book there are couple notes/sonnets that serves as reminder to the important point of combat. I will try to translate those when I have more time. Anyway, next time when the military instructor (not the author of the manual though) come to class, I will try to work out Zhang's manual with him. It would be an interesting project.

This is all possible thanks to you, my friend.

Mantis108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thank you.