Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wing Chun and Hand Speed..

Correct spelling is Kostya Tszyu.

No disrespect intended, only clarification.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Thanks Andrew. I forgot the spelling. I met him in Phoenix and was at ringside when he fought an over the hill Chavez. His dad was here too.No disrespect for the fighter here either. I respect anyone who gets into a ring for boxing, wrestling or mma..
    Joy

Hi Yuanfen,
    The referee (unfairly IMO) didnt finish the count and stopped the fight. Zab was not groggy-but the knockdown wasa perfect example of interrupted signals to the knees.
    If you are referring to the Spinks fight, I questioned the call on that knockdown as well. At first, to me anyhow, It looked more like a slip. However, when they did the replay, it was clear it was a fair and decent strike on the part of Spinks that made it happen. I agree that it was a good fight though. One of the better ones that I have seen for a bit.
    Not relevant but still-if memory serves--- Zab is Jewish-not that common among Afro Americans.
    You are correct. They are Jewish. His dad trained Phil Redmond in kickboxing. Led him to success in his full contact bouts.

Did you see the fight with that HUGE russian guy. Holy cow the guy was a giant compared to his opponent (names escape me right now). Size didn't help him win though. That was a pretty good fight as well.

My dad was a boxer, I love it.

Sorry, I'm rambling, didn't mean to go off topic. Back to Wing Chun

Take care,
    Vicky
    "I've learned....
    That everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it" (Andy Rooney)

Vicky-

I was referring to the referee stopping the Judah-Tszyu fight before the 10 count was over.

Wladimir Klitschko is 6'6" and outweighed Lamon Brewster by around 30 pounds. Given the reach different the Ukrainian was ahaed but Lamon Brewster is atough guy- I dont think he has evr been down even in losing in the past. Brewster was determined and finally fogured out that Wladimir wasa sucker for short lefts...
    and knocked him out.

Wladimir's older bro Vitali gave Lennox Lewis a hard time but lost on very bad cuts. Vitali is 6'9" and even heavier and stronger than Wladimir and can kick too. Cory Sanders has his work cut out for him. Much depends on whther Cory keeps his head. he has already knocked out Vitali but Wladimir is the tougher bro.

After the passing or retirement fo some great trainers Detroit (Phil's town)Kronk's Emmanuel Steward is training both Klitschko bros. He wasnt able to make Wladimir more fluid than the common "European" styles. he helped Lewis in the past. Remains to be seen whther he can help Vitali- who has a PHD in Excercise
    Science or PE! Sanders is a smart but often uneven southpaw witha powerful short left. Southpaws when they are on can be troublesome-because of different angles.

I know it's not wing chun but I am discussing lines and angles-
    a wing chun specialty using a different platform and wheels.

Sorry for any typos. Just came froma wake.

Joy

Punching becomes fast because if you drill the path the punch or action takes over and over again under varying conditions and remain relaxed then you will suprise yourself with the speed of your punches. That and Ving Tsun attacks more or less flow from one to the other with (if possible) as little break between as possible; this may create an enhanced illusion of speed.

I shot a documentary film about women in boxing a number of years ago, and while waiting to film one of the women's bouts, I watched Zabdiel Judah knock out a young man in the first round of his fight. This was around '96 - '98 I believe. He already was developing amazing speed and power then.
    "Practice, and skill will come naturally." - Wang Shu Jin