Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Adrenal responses and lifting cars

Toby,

I had a feeling you would join in at some point, Toby.

Whenever I remember the event, and I do have a vivid memory, I feel my adrenals stirring. They were when I was writing about it a few moments ago.

Do I believe it has something to do with qi/chi? Most definitely.

mickey

Hey Toby!

I thought my English was pretty clear.

mickey

mickey, yeah, I wasn't being critical. Your English is fine, but I was comparing to e.g. MP's arguments. He is objective and logical. Easy to read and puts forward a clear argument. Same with Ford, 7*, etc.

Anyway, like I said before, there is no muscle between the skin and the vein in the crook of the elbow. So I don't see how you could stop the needle penetrating from muscular contraction. Also, skinny needles aren't very strong at all. What was the diameter of the needle? The e.g. insulin ones are very breakable if a force is applied tangentially to the direction of penetration. So a struggling kid could easily break it. OTOH, a blood sample needle is relatively large and would be difficult to break.

Only thing that contracting muscles does is makes the surface that the vein lies on hard, so it is difficult to "find" the vein since it tends to "roll" or move on the hard surface and is pushed away by the needle point. Of course, contraction of muscle makes no difference to the tension of the skin. You said that the needle didn't penetrate the skin. Are you (or BL) suggesting that "qi" make the skin tension increase as well?

Hi Toby,

I was about six years old at the time. It wasn't a thin one at all; yet, it wasn't one of those thick drainage types.

To answer your question about qi (aka the adrenal response) increasing the surface tension of the skin: YES! That was my experience. That was why I was questioning the validity of Ford's and MP's explanation; it (qi- adrenaline)doesn't simply act through muscle. I also shared with IronFist that organs other than the kidneys have that ability, that reserve of energy.

mickey

Toby,

Qi is a lot more than the adrenals. I was trying my best to keep it simple.

mickey

If skin tension was increased, there must've been some stretching. Where were the stretching forces being applied? Did your arms become bigger? I'm not entirely convinced that skin tension would increase the difficulty of penetration anyway. In fact, it should make it easier. Consider trying to pop a balloon with a pin. The more air in the balloon, the more susceptible to puncture. The less air, the more "give" before the balloon is penetrated.

If, OTOH, your skin became "harder", then you're proposing that you temporarily changed the material properties of your skin. Something I have an even harder time believing.

Toby,

I am having a hard time typing this because I am laughing so hard! You are too much!

There is one area that has not been given much study. That is the function(s) of the fascia. I believe that the adrenaline worked through the fascia and really fortified the area. Toby, I have given this experience more thought than I let on

For me it is not a mystery; yet, proving it is difficult.

mickey

To continue:

If you factor in the role the fascia could have played with the automobile incident-- it becomes credible.

In the world of power lifting, some of the lifters use compression suits to help maximize their lifts. The compression suits mimic one the roles of the fascia.

mickey

Originally posted by mickey
    I am having a hard time typing this because I am laughing so hard!
    Why?

AFAIK (and my knowledge is very limited), fascia connects the epidermis to the underlying tissue and bone. I.e. it runs normal (i.e. at 90&#176) to the skin. So how does this make the skin "stronger"? Does it pull the skin inwards? Push outwards?

Can you elaborate as to the role of the fascia that powerlifting suits mimic?

Toby,

This is new territory for me. I have been thinking on this for a few months.

One of the roles of the fascia is compression. When a muscle contracts the fascia compresses against it. When you look at the muscular shape of an athlete you are also observing the fascia contracting against the muscle.

I believe qi can travel through the fascia and can be stored there; and it is key to the Iron Body,Golden Bell disciplines, as well as other internal martial arts practices.

mickey

Toby,

If you are right about the fascia, I am going to have to go back to the drawing board. Disregard my posts about it.

I feel sick.

mickey

or,

I have to find the correct term to what I am referring to.

mickey

Hi Toby, I am back,

I had to lie in the dark for a few minutes to get my thoughts together.

There exists a sheath that is different from the skin that we see that covers the muscles. If you have ever pulled the skin off a chicken leg you will notice that the muscles do not fall off the bone; there is a thin, tough, transparent, membrane- like material holding the muscles in place. That material is what I am referring to. We have that.

If fascia is not the correct term, I am sorry.

mickey

OK, there are 2 types of fascia, superficial fascia and panniculus adiposus. The 2nd one is sometimes called deep fascia and sounds like what you are referring to. How does tensing the panniculus adiposus prevent a needle penetrating epidermis? Both the S.F. and P.A. are below the epidermis and the dermis.

Toby,

That I do not know. But I believe it. Right now that is my focus: to understand what it is all about.

I don't know if you are familiar to Iron Body practices. The higher levels of the discipline enabled the practitioner to take slices and stabs from weapons without damage. I think it is a lost art.

Apparently, Achilles had this ability as well. Some simply think it was just his armor. He received a "bathing" practice in the river Styxx. Fong Si Yu supposedly had this kind of body from similar "bathing" practices. And in both legends they had one weak point.

mickey