Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Karate sparring...woowhoo!

Martial Joe Guest

Karate sparring...woowhoo!

I have been talking to this girl who akes Karate.She said her instructor enjoys having people come in and want to spar with his students...(lightbulb!)...and I thought well this sounds nice...But I have never gone into another school and asked them this kinda stuff...
    ...I dont know if I should be really agressive like in a wing chun fight(that is the only way I know how unless the person is no where near a match)Maybe this wil be fun...some of you guys did tell me I shoulddo somehting like this...here is my chance...

So what do you cool wing chun guys think?

Joe Kavey the first...I think...

Martial Joe Guest
    I forgot to add,she asked me to go on wednsday...

mikey Guest
    sounds like an invitation to me,
    go for it!
    just make sure you talk to their instructor first to see if there are any rules you are expected to observe(no elbows,no head shots,etc.)
    have fun! let us know how it went :)

Martial Joe Guest
    Anymore comments?

Martial Joe

EmptyCup Guest
    A number of things to consider:

1) Asian martial artists sometimes act like they are open to people from other schools "exchanging" information by a friendly sparring session. What ends up happening is that these 'friendly' guys suddenly turn not-so-friendly and have to prove themselves and their egos. Instructors don't like losing face in front of the class and don't like students to lose face for their school. And students as well sure as heck don't want to lose face in front of their peers and their instructor.

2) Some people might stay friendly but become aggressive. They might not realize they are taking it too seriously but it happens all the time - even in your own school.

3) You heard that the teacher is open to people coming in to spar from your friend and not the teacher directly. Sometimes misunderstandings occur

4) Are you prepared to spar with strangers?

Just a few things to think about. In practice, visiting schools is mostly a negative experience although we all wish it could be different.

whippinghand Guest

Don't fail Wing Chun

Don't forget that to these people, whether they think so or not, you will be a representing the Wing Chun system. So if you "fail", you fail Wing Chun.

Wing Chun is not to be played with politely in these situations. Between styles, there is no "polite" sparring.

Reg Guest

Dial 911!!!

Non agressive Ving Tsun? Never heard of it.
    Show them why karate is so bad compaired to Ving Tsun!

Martial Joe Guest
    Whipping Hand~I know what you mean.That is why I said I cant be non agressive when I spar,it just isnt wing chun...

EmptyCup~I am prepared to spar with them...
    ...I will be alright...

EmptyCup Guest
    OK, well make sure you tell us all what happens after wed :)

BaekHoKwan Guest

Empty Cup

Take caution. If you are allowed to spar, you will most likely be restricted to their rules. I'd wager their rules will take away much of your arsenal. I've studied Wing Chun, and also hold dan ranking in TKD. You will be restricted and frustrated by the rules of traditional Karate or TKD sparring. No leg kicks, trapping, holding, elbows, knees, punching to the face and other highly effective tactics you are in the habit of using.

Trust me, I speak from experience. Go and watch the first time. Be polite. Don't ask to fight or spar. Just represent Wing Chun well by being courteous, polite and respectful. Beating them at their own rules is highly unlikely, and beating them by violating their rules will make you look bad to them.

Keep it real.

C. Martin
    Founder Baek Ho Kwan
    Texas Martial Arts Hall of Fame 00'

benny Guest
    go dude give em hell.

few tips.
    dont listen when they tell you to stand at their range( kicking range). stand at yours it will freak them out straight away. when they say go attack. it sounds stupid but usually they say go then do their little step back and gaurd then start.
    ive found that they usually kick because they think cause we dont kick like them we cant block them.
    so just expect everything and you should be right. ;)

EmptyCup Guest

C. Martin

uhhh, it wasn't me who wanted to go, it was Martial Joe :)

I'm the guy telling him to be cautious :)

btw, you studied wing chun AND TKD? good! please look at my post on "Entering Techniques" and answer all the questions I need answering!!!

Thank You :)

Martial Joe Guest
    Benny~Id like to here more about this...

C Martin...You goof :D

When you say it is highly unlikely to beat them at there own rules and ill look bad if I break them...WELL...what the hell should I do?

OdderMensch Guest

Hey C. Martian

Man i gotta talk to you. Your gonna be in FW this weekend right? At the event? What time does all that start? I can't enter, but it would be fun to watch.

:D

Oh yeah the topic......Um Karate Sparing right? Yeah! Um, keep your hands up. And look 'em in the eye when you bow, that realy ****es them off. Oh and if they are good, don't **** them off.

wingchunwsl Guest

martial joe

IMHO, i think you should try and go for it. if you think you're ready, do it. i'm not sure about going by their rules though. if it's you doing your thing, i'd say go for it then. if you do go on wed, i wish you good luck. :)