Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Qi?

Got Qi?

So I was weight lifting last night and it was a heavy night. About half way through I noticed there was a lot of heat coming frommy hands, my wife was even surprised when I touched her. Of course this got me thinking about Qi, cause one of the most popular claims is that you can sort of cause heat to eminate from your hands, and that was certainly happening. However, I ran into a problem. From all I"ve ever been told, muscle development slows or blocks the Qi from circulating effectively through the body. So what's the deal? Am I getting closer to shooting Qi balls from my hands like some bad azz Ryu from Street Fighter and this whole weight lifting bad for qi thing is just a myth? Or is it something biological going on there?

Too much blood in the hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I'm not trolling here MK, I'd like to hear some good explanations.

JP - what's the difference between that and Qi?

i got the t-shirt if thats what you mean.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

got qi t-shirt

Get the hoody too. Or the mug .

I don't know if those it's those qi balls making your hands hot. But here's a thought for you. Did you know that there's no word for muscle in ancient Chinese? Some theorize that this is part of the emphasis on qi over muscle.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Did you know that there's no word for muscle in ancient Chinese?
    So they didn't have a word for the tissue we know as muscle? Wouldn't this sort of support my point that Qi is just a word created to describe things the chinese didn't understand at the time?

red5angel,
    What you are experiencing is what judge pen said, blood circulation increased by physical excersize.

The feeling of warmth in the center of the palms that you are reffering to is the most basic feeing of chi emination. However this is only felt naturally and sublty. Not when you are involved with lifting weights or any type of vigorous excersize.

The reason for this is the center of the palm called the Luo Gung, (bubbling wells) as well as the center of the feet are the most sensitive to epidermic changes. Some even feel a thickening of the hands and feet or tingling, but again this is THE most basic understanding of the energy which circulates throughout our bodies.

This is like first experiencing taste buds by licking sugar and realizing its sweet.

For alot of people putting thier hands close together and feeling magnetics or heat is like standing in horse stance and saying you know kung fu.

WHAT???????????????????????????????????
    You said that thier is no word in the chinese language for muscle?
    What are you talking about?
    I suggest you should try to read just a little about TCM or even DaMo classics Yi Gin Ching & Shii Soei Ching before you make a a$$ out of yourself when you make claims simply out of lack of knowledge.

KungChung (bicep)
    Hsiaolo (tricep)
    Chienliao (deltoid)
    Hsishang (brachialis)

Shall I go on???????????????????
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 04-14-2004 at 10:47 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Originally posted by EarthDragon

WHAT???????????????????????????????????
    You said that thier is no word in the chinese language for muscle?
    What are you talking about?
    I suggest you should try to read just a little about TCM or even DaMo classics Yi Gin Ching & Shii Soei Ching before you make a a$$ out of yourself when you make claims simply out of lack of knowledge.

KungChung (bicep)
    Hsiaolo (tricep)
    Chienliao (deltoid)
    Hsishang (brachialis)

Shall I go on???????????????????
    Those are body parts. Very spacific ones, yes, but still parts and the words are modern. There is no word in ancient Chinese for "muscle". The concept of all those "body parts" being the "same" and needing a non-descript name for the group just wasn't there.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Yi Jin Jing - 495 AD?
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yi Jin Jing - 495 AD, yes. But the word "muscle" wasn't nessisarilly around then just because the modern version uses that word. The idea of bathroom or restroom isn't new, but the term is. Back in 495 AD they called it a guardroabe.

And yes, that metiphor does too work- it clearly shows how langueges are constanly growing.
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Isn't Qi (chi) translated as air power? Doesn't air flow through our body via bloodstream?

Not trolling, seriously asking...

no...qi is translated as intrinsic energy or life force and flows superimposed to blood and and body matter etc...

yes ..air flows through our body via blood.....qi is and isn't related to this

No, oxygen and carbon dioxide use blood as a transport system. Not air. If you're going to try to sound like you know something, try a little harder than that.

Also, chi might tramslate in your mind as life force, but that doesn't make it right either.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Re: Got Qi?

Originally posted by red5angel
    So I was weight lifting last night and it was a heavy night. About half way through I noticed there was a lot of heat coming frommy hands, my wife was even surprised when I touched her. Of course this got me thinking about Qi, cause one of the most popular claims is that you can sort of cause heat to eminate from your hands, and that was certainly happening. However, I ran into a problem. From all I"ve ever been told, muscle development slows or blocks the Qi from circulating effectively through the body. So what's the deal? Am I getting closer to shooting Qi balls from my hands like some bad azz Ryu from Street Fighter and this whole weight lifting bad for qi thing is just a myth? Or is it something biological going on there?
    its called a heart attack
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?