Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got Qi?

Ancient vs. modern

Yes, today we have a word for muscle - in mandarin it's ji rou - ji means "flesh"; rou means "meat". Of course, there are anatomical names for individual muscles too now, same as in western medicine oviously, since they have western medicine doctors in China. But in ancient times, there was no specific word for muscle. If you really want to research this seriously, I suggest you examine The Expressiveness of the Body, and the Divergence of Greek and Chinese Medicine by Shigehisa Kuriyama, but I warn you that this is a fairly scholarly work, not an easy read at all. I've only looked at it in a most cursory manner.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

2. Thumbs up

So what I was feeling was a basic effect of chi flow through my body? which also correlates to blood flow? There is that strange correlation between biomechanics and biology and Qi.
    Great observation,within that debate.Assuming we have one.
    This is a relevant concern in case someone is still calling out for some additional "magic" beyond conventional physiology,which seems to go a long way in describing the sensation.
    Common knowledge;
    exercise->increased blood circulation->warmth.
    Qi kicks in somewhere in there? What does it serve to explain?

How is it that if weight lifting is bad for you as far as Qi goes, why is it I can feel the Qi basics while doing it?
    First you need to have an exact definition of qi (if this is not come down to semantical baloney).
    Call it a "qi-hypothesis".Itīs completely wet,as far as contribution goes,if it canīt be defined and cannot form any predictions about what one should expect to experience.
    Of course anything,including the feeling/observation you attributed to "biomechanics and biology",can be integrated to "qi-hypothesis" and considered an amusing "correlation" as long as the requirements (defined above) are not met.

Qi means rice, water, heat, steam. So is it fair to say "qi" has to do with the process of solid, liquid, gas ?

Greetings..

At every level, including individual blood cells and molecules of "air", there is an electrical charge.. there is an enormous anount of energy (atom binding), and various chemical processes.. it might be wise to view Qi as a result of these energies, forces and processes rather than a separate entity.. Qi may simply be the intangible result of interactive tangible processes.. the parts of an engine don't power the auto, the constructed engine parts acting in unison produce the power.. the power itself can't be seen or measured, but its effects can.. in fact, the measurement is an "effect" of the power on a particular device.. and, someday, maybe we will build a device that can measure the effect of "Qi"..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I like the way you explaimed that, Bob!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Thumbs up

thats kinda deep tcbob.