Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wing chun vs. muy thai

Dragon Warrior Guest

wing chun vs. muy thai

wing chun is a very linear system, that likes to get in close and pumble the opponent. They like to trap and utilize straight punches combined with low leg front kicks.

muy thai is both a linear and circlular system. They have a long thrusting front kick, and wide powerfull roundhouse kicks. In close they like to clinch and throw knees and elbows.

Of course im being very general here, but im sure everyone knows what i am talking about. Anyway, i do not think there have been any nhb matches to compare the systems (even though they do not prove anything anyway ;) ). So what do you guys think. I personally believe that it is the fighter and not the style, but style is of course important. No rules, anything goes, both fighters are "masters" of their systems. Which style has the upper hand??

I have to give it to the muy thai stylist. Wing Chun seems a little limited imho. A muy thai fighter would probably be more well rounded, and better conditioned.

For years, religion did nothing but divide. (killa priest)

Religion is like a prison for the seekers of wisdom. (killa priest)

taijiquan_student Guest

Please...no...

This kind of style vs. style argument has beaten to death this forum, and by so many people in real life. Do we really have to go through this again? It is interesting to think about sometimes, but it's completely unrealistic, pointless, and you know this thread will be run over by troll posts and flames pretty soon. I just don't think it will do any of us any good to go through it all again.

"Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

dooder Guest
    will the muy thai guy be wearing gloves?

JasBourne Guest
    muay thai guys get to wear kinky shorts with funky lettering across the crotch and butt. By contrast, wing chun guys generally wear loose pants and tee-shirts. Clearly, muay thai is superior.

:D

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Silk pyjamas are superior.

I am the Grand Ultimate Silk Pyjama

Martial Joe Guest
    He could take a mean dump in that position...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

Xebsball Guest
    But what if the Thai guy clothes are pink with yellow hearts on it?

-------------------------
    "You will never need to feel weak, helpless, indecisive, not fascinating or ashamed of your genital dimensions. GOOD-BYE Humiliation. Bullies, Karate Experts, Boxing Champions, traffic wardens will melt to pulp as you master every situation."
    Master Deltoo
    http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/2477/

old jong Guest
    The perfect look for the modern martial art expert. Renaissance,the way to go!...Look good in the octogon.

Les paroles s'envolent.
    Les écrits restent!...

straight blast Guest
    Said it a dozen times before. If you wanna beat a Thai Boxer, train with the same level of realism and contact as he does. And don't fight him Thai rules. The best MA for fighting Thai rules is Muay Thai. Simple as. Or wait until he's forty with shins like jelly and a body wracked with arthritis and kick his cane away and smash him one.
    With lots of laughs to my Muay Thai brothers,
    Straight Blast :cool: :cool:

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

LEGEND Guest
    Dragon Warrior...well...I have seen wing chun vs. muy thai in san shou tourneys. From what I've seen wing chun guys get killed. But they are forced to wear the boxing gloves. So many of them say the gloves cause a lot of problems in terms of punching power when they chain punch and so forth. Also I can honestly say that many of them had bad expectations...they didn't do any conditioning( running etc... ) and were not use to the contact...and seem lost but to there credit they did use wing chun techs.

A

Ralek Guest
    That stance that the guy in the red silk is doing is similar to the one the tai chi insctructor did when i fought him.

the taijiquan instructor got KO'd.

I think any kind of BOXING is the best style. Whether it's western boxing/kickboxing/thai boxing/ san shou boxing. The style where you get in a ring and go full contact are the best. And also add grappling styles to that like BJJ/freestyle wrestling/sambo.

The styles where you do wierd stances and just throw techniques into the air all day will not develope fighting skill. Some of these kinds of schools will do some limited weak light sparring where they also never develope any fighting skill.

I am the Grand Ultimate Fist

Jaguar Wong Guest
    Straight Blast, the first part of your response was spot on. And would fit with pretty much any other style you plug into the equation. :) It wouldn't guarantee a victory, but at least you're not guaranteed to lose.

The second suggestion however...There are plenty of good Muay Thai coaches past their 40's that still kick harder than most of us do. If you train incorrectly (like most American's think Thais do), then of course you won't have much more than deadwood for shins, but if you train the traditional Thai methods for developing the shins (not kicking palm trees, or cement pillars), then you would be just as formidable, if not more so than most hard style Karateka (like Mas Oyama). True there's a quicker burnout rate in Muay Thai, but that's because the level of competition is so high, not because their legs disentigrate :)

The kick the cane out part was funny, though. uh... I mean That's just wrong and you know it! :p

Jaguar Wong

fmann Guest
    Word, Ralek. It's the intensity of the training and the mindset of the fighter that really matters. If you train Muay Thai all day without focus and without contact, you're going to get wrecked by a WC guy that trained for real fighting and has the bruises and abrasions to prove it.

Alot of martial arts schools don't focus that much on the fighting aspect until higher levels, which is why average students might get wrecked by a boxer/kickboxer/etc.. This is something that I think is bass-ackwards in today's world in terms of self-defense.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Chen Xiaowang, the guy in the red silk outfit, put a grappler who attacked him from nowhere into the emergency room with a single elbow strike to the heart.

Afterwards, a new heart murmur was detected in the grappler. Chen said he wasn't trying to hit the guy that hard!

In the ring, I'd definitely go with Muay Thai.

In the street where throat tearing and testicle stealing are permitted, WC.

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Is Chen Xiaowang related to Chen Qing Zhou? If I can afford it, I'd like to attend the latter's two day seminar at the start of November, despite my lack of experience with Chen taiji.