Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Washington DC - San Shou!

people from Maryland hate to be associated with Virginia, people from Virginia hate to be associated with Maryland. people from D.C. hate the fact that people from MD and VA tell everybody that they're from D.C. and no one from D.C. will ever admit if they're from Dupont circle. So there's the answer, have a san shou tournament in Dupont circle.

those are the scheduled group classes. you want to be a fighter, you talk to jeff, make arrangements. or, you could just drink the haterade.

i understand your point, but a school is not just the sum of its group schedule.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    look him acting all like "i be a fighter, you dont be a fighter" and all that
    id kick your ass if i wasnt having lots of diarreia (however you spell), breathing dificulties, fever and chronic burping (for real)
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    wait. isn't ms female?
    Naw, we never said ms was a female.

We said ms was a lil byatch.

There's a slight difference.

either way, i'll play
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Yeah bet you think youre so tough so big so strong fighting a man with diarea yeah

since when is bjj and thai jj san shou?
    This is a MMA school. San Shou = the core of standup MMA training. Jeff loves San shou! We will be training San shou & competing in San shou. I have been in (&out and back in again) Sanshou since 1996.

Not everyone in the club will be interested in san shou. But fortunately, the team is offering many options. san shou, muay thai, bjj, judo, sambo.. combat sports.

It's a team of guys that want to train in all ranges and styles of fighting. 2 guys and a referee. may the best man win.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

I still got Jeff's contact info (found it when I moved) so I'll try to be in touch. He's a lot less intimidating for me to talk to than trying to call up someone like Lloyd; coz i've trained with him before and he's not quite as big a name.
    This could work out to be totally awesome or wicked sweet; heck, i'd even take a "kinda okay" right now.

btw- thought NoVA implied the DC metro area?
    bro#9 pretty much hit it on the head with the description of the area.
    BMore sanshou/ Owings Mills boxing is actually north baltimore, with some members trekking from Pennsylvania; but I'm all for coming under one banner as one big happy family.
    I just draw the line at letting West Virginians in; i mean who really wants to have to say "no, chewing tobacco will not replace a good mouthguard" week in and week out?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

yeah "Booooo, look at me, i put a diarea suffering man on an armbar, im the master of jiutjisu"

more new san shou teams, mmmmmmmm..... fresh meat
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Originally posted by ShaolinTiger00

This is a MMA school. San Shou = the core of standup MMA training. Jeff loves San shou! We will be training San shou & competing in San shou. I have been in (&out and back in again) Sanshou since 1996.

Not everyone in the club will be interested in san shou. But fortunately, the team is offering many options. san shou, muay thai, bjj, judo, sambo.. combat sports.

It's a team of guys that want to train in all ranges and styles of fighting. 2 guys and a referee. may the best man win.
    What does San Shou offer a fighter that Thai Boxing doesn't? Is it the throwing that attracts people from other sports? Just interested in why they would migrate...
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller

What does San Shou offer a fighter that Thai Boxing doesn't? Is it the throwing that attracts people from other sports? Just interested in why they would migrate...
    You shouldn't doubt the tempting allure of being able to shoot in and slam someone without having to worry about teeny tiny gloves and seemingly endless bouts of ground-based dry-humping. (just messin MP)
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I think it's 2 things..

1.) throws & kick catches are eye-opening and spectacular! **** DID YOU SEE THAT GUY FLY!!!

2.) Realism. adding the grappling aspect to striking brings in an entire new dimension in strategy, training and reality. Of course san shou/sanda is not MMA and as soon as someone is down the fight is stopped, and resumes standing, but as I mentioned before is certainly the best way to train the core of standup MMA that I can think of.

BTW: Muay Thai is very cool. I respect muay thai immensely. but for my goals, it is not the best format for my skillset.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

What's the general consensus on San Shou in the Thai Boxing gyms? Are they pretty open to the format?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I think most MT guys really like the san shou format, usually after they've seen it or expereinced it.

I'm sure that some may say that the grappling slows down the action or that since there is no groundwork, why bother to throw or shoot, but every combat sport has it's rules and limits.

as mentioned san shou will be just part of this school's area. most of the fighters interested in the san shou program will probably be competing (or just training) in other areas (mma, muay thai, judo etc.)
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu