Thread: Ptp ????

Ptp ????

re the PTP calculator......... i HAD the book and let someone hold and haven't seen it since..... but what's the purpose of the 2nd set being less weight?......
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I'm pretty sure it's assuming you blew your wad on the first set, so the second set is to keep the relative level of intensity while still getting your reps in. That's one thing I don't like about PTP. The complete lack of warm-up and going balls to the wall on the first set when almost all soviet and american research says that your nervous system is at it's optimum level of arousal on the 2nd set of an exercise. I can see if you're actually a soldier, cop, prison guard or anybody who will often have to go from 0-100 in no time flat, but for the average person and especially an athlete I don't think the risk is worth the reward.

my first set isn't BTTW but it's tuff....
    That's one thing I don't like about PTP. The complete lack of warm-up and going balls to the wall on the first set when almost all soviet and american research says that your nervous system is at it's optimum level of arousal on the 2nd set of an exercise.
    i scratch my head at that too.... but REALLY like how quick the WO is... and it doesn't leave me drained.... i can hit the weights and than run to the gym for skills without feeling like crap....... maybe i will just add a warm up set just because......

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I think the frequent workouts is the reason that you don't need to really warmup....

Anyway, do 50 jumping if you want to, first.
    Disclaimer: I've never done PTP, but I have tried some frequent workout protocols

I JUST started after checking out the calculator… I figure I'd give it a shot... I don't see how a warmup set would hurt…

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

I like how quick it is too. I'd just add a brief warm-up before hand just to be safe. It don't think cutting 10 minutes off workout time is worth the risk of a torn muscle or ligament. Even bulgarian lifters who lift heavy multiple times every day warm-up.

PTP is great stuff and you can do the math on paper. The question to warm up or not to warm up? Well it all depends on your purpose and temperament.

In the past year or so, I have practiced PTP without warming up and I benefited with much strength gain without gaining any mass. I exercise 4-6 times a week doing the same thing or their variations. I have not gotten injuried. Knock on wood. Due to my past experience in martial arts, I believe I have above average flexibility and dont need to warm up like those who are not as active as I am. My opinion and what I have seen is that seasoned athletes who train regularly tend to warm up less than those who are less experienced. I have two different practices on this subject.

In gung fu, it could be argue that you should be able to go from 0-100 at any moment especially if you are a serious martial artist. It is not in like some gung fu movies, where honorable warriors allowed their deadly foe to prepare himself before the duel. It would be cool if this happened in real life? Imagine it. Yes, sit down and see it. LOL. On the other foot, I do warm up and get mentally and physically prepare because that is what my sifu requires? I am functioning more dynamically than when I am in the gym. In the gym, my warm up is walking up the stairs and looking at the ladies arses and chests. <wink> The gym does not require this method of warming up, but I would.
    Last edited by FooFighter; 04-20-2004 at 02:32 PM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

PTP is pretty easy to do without special program to give you the program. You can do it in excel if you want. You could even do it on paper pretty easily.

Anyway, don't do too much of it or you'll lose your muscular endurance.

About the warmup thing, I used to do it with no warmup, but now I do a little warmup. Here's the thing, tho. If you're using like 150 or something on bench or squat, you probably don't need a warmup. If you're benching or squatting 400, you'd be nuts to not warm up. Get it?

So the warmup doesn't even have to be a work set. Just a nice grease the grove type thing with not too much weight. Like even if you're going to start PTP bench with 135 or something, you might still want to warm up with just the bar, or maybe 90lbs total.

It's better to warmup and not need it than to rip something, right?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Guys that I know that squat 800 and 900 lbs still do warm-up sets with the bar, 95 lbs, and 135 lbs. Every professional athlete that I know warms up before competition or exercise. It's entirely possible to not warm-up and not get injured. It's also entirely possible to get injured even after warming up. So why do people warm-up? Because you only have one body. Why risk an injury that could plague you your entire life if you don't need to?

PTP is pretty easy to do without special program to give you the program.
    true..... but somebody posted it.... so why not?....
    Anyway, don't do too much of it or you'll lose your muscular endurance.
    as of right now..... i do the WO when i get home from work before i go the the gym to hit the bag..... shouldn't have too much of a detrimental effect, should it?...
    So the warmup doesn't even have to be a work set.
    i'll just use the ##'s from the previous workout since i don't strip the bar.... so its already on there....
    It's better to warmup and not need it than to rip something, right?
    exactly.... add that to the fact that my back doesn't like me much....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

Ford:

I agree with you and in the traditional and common sense way. However, when I am able to lift 3 times or more my own body weight in any given compound movement than I will consider warming up seriously. In martial arts, warming up is a must because you are more dynamic and the possibility of injuries are greater than in gym depending the way you train. Likewise, if you are experienced and get lift more than 2 times or more of your body weight is more dangerous and warming up as prevention as Ford pointed out is the best medicine.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

An easy way to do PTtP is to do a set of 5, and then a set of 4 at the same weight, rather than dropping weight.

Yeah, but that'd kill me when I'm nearing my 5RM. I love dropping weight for the 2nd set.

FooFighter, my 5RM for squat and DL is around 1.7 times my bodyweight. 3 times my bodyweight? I'd be lifting in the 600-650lb range

Suntzu, Iron used to do only PTP, so he had no endurance at all. If you follow up with your regular bag work, you won't lose endurance for that. You would if you dropped the bag work and only did PTP.

I like to do a very light warmup before PTPing. I skip for a couple of minutes to get the blood flowing. For bench, I lift 130lb for a set 1st, because I generally leave the bar plus a couple of 44lb plates on all the time. I do my PTP 1st thing in the morning out the back right after getting up. I quite like a warmup set because sometimes I might have something "stuck" that needs to go "click", like when you crack your knuckles but in my arms or legs. Only happens once a month or so, but I'd rather it happened with a light weight than a work set at the end of a cycle.

Originally posted by Toby
    I like to do a very light warmup before PTPing... I quite like a warmup set because sometimes I might have something "stuck" that needs to go "click", like when you crack your knuckles but in my arms or legs. Only happens once a month or so, but I'd rather it happened with a light weight than a work set at the end of a cycle.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.