Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handling Hook Punches or Wild Punches

ernie,

Whats wrong with the chain punch bro? It works doesn't it? I thought you were all about what works. When fighting gets too fast to block, why not just chain punch?

I practice all kinds of punches and palm strikes, and I still like the chain punch over a lot of other types of punches.

Travis,

I see your point and agree with you. A lot of times when in clench (like face to face) positions its hard to see an educated hook come in. However, it is very possible to step and biu it on the outside. Lets say a hook is coming in from your right. Side step it (going towards the same side the punch is coming) and biu it with your left arm (opposite side of the hook). It is possible and I have done it before. However, you have to have everything move in unison and timing is key here. If the hook is not committed it may be harder. I pulled it off because the guy I was sparring drew his arm back to throw the hook. So I saw it a mile away. I started practicing it to see how applicable it was about 5 months ago or so and found it can work.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Travis,

I see your point and agree with you. A lot of times when in clench (like face to face) positions its hard to see an educated hook come in. However, it is very possible to step and biu it on the outside. Lets say a hook is coming in from your right. Side step it (going towards the same side the punch is coming) and biu it with your left arm (opposite side of the hook). It is possible and I have done it before. However, you have to have everything move in unison and timing is key here. If the hook is not committed it may be harder. I pulled it off because the guy I was sparring drew his arm back to throw the hook. So I saw it a mile away. I started practicing it to see how applicable it was about 5 months ago or so and found it can work.
    allright, i can see it working against a telegraphed hook, if you aren't too tied up to take a step

against a more long range hook i've done things like this and they've worked nicely for me. i like to either charge the center and biu the inside and jam it up, or biu the outside and control it with fook sau. (both while doing whatever i want with my other hand).

i'm still gonna stick with kup jarn or bong sau against a non-telegraphed hook in the clinch.
    Travis

structure in motion

a tight hook is going to be thrown when your face is about 2-3 inches away from your opponent. there wont be room to biu.
    Indeed, and there probably won't be room to chain punch at that range either.

VERY few boxers would lead with a hook, at the range where a bil sao or chain punch would work. They'd normally jab and/or cross, moving in close, to set you up for the short hook.

Gangster, if chain punches work for you, keep at it. I think it's a tactic that would work fine against your average street thug or drunk. Probably not all the time against a trained fighter, but most of them are too sensible to start fights anyway.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Very true anerlich. Any real fight I have been in involved me versus a street fighter with little or no training. I don't think I would end up fighting a white crane or venemous snake boxer on the streets. However, if I saw the postures (of snake and crane) I would not straight blast chain punches at them.

Btw I think I should clarify my definition of chain punching. I am not hammering strikes in at full speed we do not train that way. I am removing the hands each time controlling with one striking with the other. Me punching twice or three times in a row, I consider to be chain punching. I don't mean just drill in there full speed. A lot of times I just say chain punch for vertical punch. Its just a litteral habbit I picked up somewhere. I can see now how you all got confused and why we were not on the same level. So, in the future if I say a chain punch I could also mean just one plane old vertical punch

So, how bout step to the weak side and vertical punch at the same time, keeping your wu sao up, controlled movements the whole time....

Oh and one more thing, if someone is inches from my face I would probably upper cut elbow them. That will stop their punch when they hit the ground. If they can take my elbow then perhaps its time to walk away and not fight this person because they are obviously very tough.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    Oh and one more thing, if someone is inches from my face I would probably upper cut elbow them. That will stop their punch when they hit the ground. If they can take my elbow then perhaps its time to walk away and not fight this person because they are obviously very tough.
    an uppercut elbow isn't always (or even often) possible in the clinch, in fact i think its one of the least effective elbows. it'll get stuck in their arms or chest and be jammed up. the kup jarns from biu jee work wonders in close range, allowing you to get around arms and drop an elbow into someone or sideways into their head.

you can get in that close really quick, and be clinched up (thats why its called the clinch ) you wont have time to just do one move and say that'll be that - as always, there are too many variables.

try doing some close range dog sau with people allowing elbows. stay within a foot of each other. if you don'tk now what dog sau it basically works like this:

person 1 is attacker, person 2 is defender.
    person 1 does an attack, person 2 acknowledges the attack and does a defense to it.

basically it's super slow chi sau broken up into attack and defense. this way nothing gets out of hand and you can do things like elbows and really think about whats going on. you get to analyze each attack and defense.

i DO NOT recommend doing close chi sau with elbows (although i've been "fortunate" to have a bit of experience here). you have to be DEAD SURE about your sensitivity, and the sensitivity of your partner, and know neither of you will let it get out of hand. theres too much possibility to knock someone out or cause some serious injury.

close range dog sau or chi sau is a real good way to get an idea of whats going on in the clinch. a lot of people play their chi sau at too far of a range, imho.
    Travis

structure in motion

My idea would be to upper cut elbow before getting into a clench. If someone got up in my face, but no clench then upper cut elobw right to their jaw. Or a cup jong as well. I use elbows at real close range. I like them and practice them frequently. Which is why I am looking forward to cross training in 6 elbows kung fu here if I get the chance to.

gfist
    [[ernie,

Whats wrong with the chain punch bro? It works doesn't it? I thought you were all about what works. When fighting gets too fast to block, why not just chain punch?]]]

email me and i will break it down for you . it takes no skill to kill with a machine gun a monkey can do it

now to do it with one or two well placed shots then your talking true skill and understanding of the wing chun engine and power
    If the truth hurts , then you will feel the pain

Do not follow me, because if you do, you will lose both me and yourself....but if you follow yourself, you will find both me and yourself

You sound rather pompous Ernie! -- by Yung Chun
    http://wslglvt.com

email sent

i think my big problem with chain punches is they're a waste of energy. they can wear you out pretty quick.

i agree with ernie, why flail at someone with 100 punches when you can knock em down in 2?
    Travis

structure in motion

Maybe its just me

Why make this hard? Simplicity for me would be to simply use dai gurk, or wang gurk to his leg. No muss no fuss. Works about 99% of the time.

The bil jee chung kuen one beat attack defense would be my second choice should the kick not come off right due to whatever.

Just my two cents.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

Lan Sao (like in Chum Kiu but angled to cross their punching forearm) and punch down the center with the other arm at the same time. Both arms need to be explosively powerful, and you need to drive in to break their balance as you do it. If they're still punching, switch and repeat. If they stop, pummel to finish.