Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: william cheung

tnwingtsun Guest

BeiKongHui

Wow, you were a contemporary of Yip Man?

Of course not.

Excuse me,I was referring to William Cheung,from
    reading the first post.

Hope that clears it up.

bean curd Guest

rill

i understand where you are coming from also, on both counts, meeting with not a friendly greeting and also, your understanding of what a si gung or si dai gung is.

i took exception to the questioning of why or how he can call himself a grandmaster, this not as a singular issue, it seems that many senior players and elders are being questioned by the youth of today on their validity, this is such a shame.

within the confines of the gwoon, such terminology is acceptable, and when outside it is heard, and no matter what others think, it should be respected.

issues such as who is the "keeper of the faith" from the yip man lineage as you know is and i would say will always been questionable, since yip man didn't claim a successor.

you know immediatly after his death a very junior player made brash statements that he was the keeper, although this was refuted very quickly it did cause much distress in the early days after yip mans death.

of this one should ask who gives someone the right to make brash statments about twc or whatever, but this should not hide the fact of what skill bill or any martial player had in his/her hayday.

hahaha, see even after all these years there is still respect from the fighting days. i was told the reason the wing chun players kept coming back was they couldn't see what was going on, they could only feel it.

peace

Sihing73 Guest

Depends on the situation

Hello All,

You know I always find it amusing when people question the credentials of others, particularily those they have never met. ;) I do not know William Cheung but I have met several of his students and several have a nice proven track record as far as fighting. I have met and trained with Leung Ting and also know several of his students.

Titles are a sign of respect and position within the ORGANIZATION. In America and the West in general Asian Titles have been corrupted from the original meaning. Look at some of the names people give themselves and you will see a pattern. Each wants to be more important so that they can market themselves better. It is important to realize that anyone can name themselves whatever they want, just like in corporations you can form the company and call yourself President, CEO whatever :p In the martial arts the same things happen. If I chose to start my own Wing Chun organization then I may wish to have some sort of naming structure to differeiate the various levels of students and instructors, at least from a commercial perspective. This is exactly what has happened in some martial arts organizations. Off the top of my head hear are a few of the "Grandmasters" of Wing Chun:
    Phillip Holder,
    William Cheung,
    Leung Ting,
    Richard Guerro,
    The list could continue but I think you get the point. To the members of each of these organizations the person leading the group is the "Grandmaster". But, much like the title Sifu, this term only applies to the members of the respective group and those that choose to recognize the person/title.

So in conclusion if you wish to grant the respect of the title "Grandmaster" or "Sifu" to someone that is your right but it does not make them so to others not in the same frame of mind.

Peace,

Dave

shaolin_knight Guest
    Also, I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever call William Cheung "grandmaster" of all wing chun/ving tsung. They only say he is the grandmaster of "Traditional Wing Chun", which he chooses to call his branch of wing chun. So I don't think other wing chun styles should be offended that he claims seniority over others. Because he or his students don't. He is the #1 man in his particular branch. Just like Leung Ting. And Cheung's footwork is different, yes, it's more like the wooden dummy movements. I've heard others say that the fighting moves of wing chun are found in the wooden dummy. The rest trains certain things. Cheung just skips that stuff and goes right into the fighting footwork, probably because he tested his wing chun on the street in real fights and thought it was more effective. Everyone who has read this topic should read the four part article on William Cheung in Black Belt magazine, called "The William Cheung Story" I think, and reprinted on Cheung's website.
    www.cheungswingchun.com/WWCKFAindex.html
    scroll down on the left until you find "articles" and read the four part story. It's interesting, even to those who could care less about Cheung. Now I'm not trying to take sides, I don't think there should be "sides" to this. If people were more open minded about the different branches of their own art, we would all benefit. I realize that some people are open minded though. I for one would love to train with any of the wing chun greats.

Turiyan Guest

Chuengs iron palm

Whats with him selling a video for $400 bucks on iron palm? Anyone seen the method? Its real strange. You have a bag and like three punching bags around the bag. You slap the bag, punch forward and do thousand hand strikes. What I could glean from the photo's.

Does this make any sense? Like one guy buys the video, and then gives it away or makes a copy and pretty soon, you get to see it for free. Thats what I think when you charge too high for just a video.

What does anyone else think about this?

Turiyan gold, Brahmin caste, Ordos clan

The REAL taichi:
    http://www.wfdesign.com/tc/
    http://www.wustyle.com/108.html

Chinese military forum:
    http://www.anyboard.net/plaboard/

kungfu cowboy Guest

$400!!!!

What a maroon! I'm sure they're selling like hotcakes too! :rolleyes:

(I seriously need a life.)

wongfeilung809 Guest
    sihing73, gradmaster?? Richard Guerro?...would that be only him or his older and younger ku fu brothers as well.., i should go see him, if hes a grandmaster...

Sihing73 Guest

Richard Guerro

Hi simpleangles,

As far as I know Richard Guerro was an early student of Leung Ting who chose to go his own way. I believe Richard heads up his own organization and is referred to as Grandmaster of that group. I believe he also explored some other arts and may have merged his Wing Chun with things like Kali, but I am not 100% sure of this. I know he has or had a couple of videos out a few years ago. Not sure what the present status of him or his group is.

Peace,

Dave

Losttrak Guest

I think of it like a grandfather

Once your students have established strong schools, then you yourself become a grandmaster. There may be a more traditional meaning but it makes sense to me. =p I think most masters just think of themselves as masters..its the students that might add the "grand." =p