Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thething that grabbed me about Arthur was that they seem to be trying to ditch all the "legend" stuff. In fact, according to my dim memories of a medieval history class I took years ago, there was a Cornish (I think) cheiftan who waged a pretty nasty war against the romans, who called him "Atriedes" (Dune fans take note) and was eventually the source for the King Arthur legends. It looks to me like they're trying to stick with what miniscule historical sources we have and leave out all the Mallory White Tennyson De Troyes magyckal hooey.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

So . . . you think there'll be a huge CGI Trojan Horse at the end of that film of the same name?

Originally posted by Design Sifu
    So . . . you think there'll be a huge CGI Trojan Horse at the end of that film of the same name?
    Yeah, they show the CGI Trojan horse in the previews.

In fact, according to my dim memories of a medieval history class I took years ago, there was a Cornish (I think) cheiftan who waged a pretty nasty war against the romans, who called him "Atriedes" (Dune fans take note) and was eventually the source for the King Arthur legends.
    I thought his name was Arturos. It's been about 10 years since my British Lit classes....
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    Thething that grabbed me about Arthur was that they seem to be trying to ditch all the "legend" stuff. In fact, according to my dim memories of a medieval history class I took years ago, there was a Cornish (I think) cheiftan who waged a pretty nasty war against the romans, who called him "Atriedes" (Dune fans take note) and was eventually the source for the King Arthur legends. It looks to me like they're trying to stick with what miniscule historical sources we have and leave out all the Mallory White Tennyson De Troyes magyckal hooey.
    Ok, my thoughts on Arthur: What reference is their that Guinevere was a celtci warrior wearing a leather sports bra shooting flaming arrows and carrying a claymore? That alone was enough to turn me off.

Plus the director isn't known for good movies. Ok, Training Day was all right, but that was based on the performances of its actors and not any direction. Regardless it looks better than Van Helsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Well, it's not like there's absolutely no instance of female warriors battling Romans in british history.

Boudicca, anyone? Or perhaps you prefer Boadicea? Or any of the dozen or so other spellings available.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

Sure, female warriors like Boudicca were as fearsome as the men of the time,

"She was huge of frame, terrifying of aspect, and with a harsh voice. A great mass of bright red hair fell to her knees: she wore a twisted torc, and a tunic of many colours, over which was a thick mantle, fastened by a brooch. Now she grasped a spear, to strike fear into all who watched her." Dio Cassius

Doesn't describe Guinivere to me.

I'll give it a chance (which is more than I can say for Van Helsing) but I'm skeptical.

BTW, what are your reservations for Troy?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

The CGI looked fakey and it stars Brad Pitt. The only person who I believe can rein in The Pittmonster is David Fincher, who used him to good effect in Fight Club and Se7en. He's been pretty awful in every other starring role I've seen him in.

I think he's be perfect in Van Helsing (I can see a new whipping boy shaping up around here! )
    Crippled Avenger

He wasn't bad in 12 Monkeys or Snatch either. I'm holding out hope here.

TROY

Well, Brian Cox will be in the film as well, as Agamemnon...

Eric Bana as HECTOR!

and Sean Bean as Odysseus

this could a fun film...

PS: anyone think we should change this topic to maybe

"What's Happenin' ?

so ugh, how was your weekend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Well, "Snatch" wasn't a starring role for Pitt, plus he Boomhauered all the way through it, so it's not really a typical thing in any case.

And "12 Monkeys" was the movie that made me hate Terry Gilliam, a feat I thought couldn't be done. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.
    Crippled Avenger

12 Monkeys was pretty good. I liked it.

I liked Pitt in The Mexican, too.

I think he's a pretty under-rated actor. I've never seen him give a flat performance.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

achillies!!

i'm not to much of a pitt fan(fight club was the only movie i liked and the only one of his flicks i bothered to see) but i think he's perfect for achillies. due to the fact that achillies was a pretty boy his uncle (or grandfather i forget) even dressed him up as a girl to hide him when he was young. i can really see anyone else playing this roll even though johnny depp would do i way better job. now my problem is alexander with colon ferrel playing my favorite general of all time. the bad part is there making him gay and i heard leo dicapprio is playing hephastius(alexzander's reported lover say some historians but there the minority) i wonder who plaing cassius the black. or any other of the many characters/ hero's alexzander had around him he was the true version of king arthur(not really i'm just saying...)