Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grappling

Grappling

I was just wondering how you could counter a grappler. For eg. He's trying to get you on the floor with a sweep/tackle/throw/whatever those bjj dudes do, what could you do to counter it? Please don't say go to a BJJ gym and learn how to groundfight or whatever, because my aim is to keep on my two feet.

Thing is Bro, if somebody WANTS the both of you to go to the ground, you're probably going to end up there. I'm a Shuai Chiao guy (stand up wrestling) who also does some BJJ. My biggest problem is keeping the fockers standing up long enough to throw them. All they need to do is tangle up and fall down and we both go.

The good news is that you're chances of coming across a ground fighter in 'the street'( <-- Lord, I hate that term) is minimal

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

i would either try to throw them first or fight like heck to not go down...... if we go down... i would try to get back up as quick as possible or keep him as close as possible....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Dictate space and pace. Take them out of their game, and make them be reactive. If you don't have an experienced wrassler trying to take you down to practice with, then expect any thoughts you have on the subject to just be theoretical. Learn to escape from the ground.
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Re: Grappling

Originally posted by dodger87
    Please don't say go to a BJJ gym and learn how to groundfight or whatever, because my aim is to keep on my two feet.

go to a BJJ gym and learn how to groundfight - seriously. You don't have to learn how to groundfight, but the best way to train against their takedowns is to train against people who can properly execute them. If some buddies at your kwoon start attempting to do takedowns, chances are you will miss miniscule details that make the grapplers' takedowns effective.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

the great irony of grappling... in order to learn how to keep standing you train takedowns..

learn the sprawl and brawl. see -chuck liddel. why is Chuck such a good striker? - because he's a good wrestler.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

chances are you will miss miniscule details that make the grapplers' takedowns effective.
    usually it's more like missing gross movements, vice details.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Re: Grappling

Originally posted by dodger87
    Please don't say go to a BJJ gym and learn how to groundfight or whatever, because my aim is to keep on my two feet.
    Good luck.

Originally posted by Suntzu
    i would either try to throw them first or fight like heck to not go down...... if we go down... i would try to get back up as quick as possible or keep him as close as possible....
    Well, that is some useful and specific advice right there!

glad i could help
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Great videos masterkiller. The stance is sort of similar to IMA but obviously not exactly the same. In IMA they say the center must lead all movements. Alot IMA guys say to move the whole body as a unit, but it must be the center that conrtols and starts the movement. If you move from the hips or shoulders or other joints, you won't be moving as a unit, but most importantly you will collapse a knee inwards or fall outwards, Similar to the takedown defense video. One of my Taiji teachers would challenge anyone to strike him any where on his legs inside or outside.

Originally posted by Merryprankster

usually it's more like missing gross movements, vice details.

I was being nice
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've seen lots of grappling clips where the guy tackles his opponent on to the ground, and most of the time they are just rushing towards them. Howcome no one tries to kick or knee them as when they rush towards their opponent their upper body is in a really low position.

I've seen lots of grappling clips where the guy tackles his opponent on to the ground, and most of the time they are just rushing towards them. Howcome no one tries to kick or knee them as when they rush towards their opponent their upper body is in a really low position.

This has happened to me in my last tournie fight, opponent sees me go in for take down, kicks me straight in gut, I take full force of kick, pushing and lifting while holding leg, side step take other leg, lifted him, and he lands on his back with me having side control.

when trying to get knees in, if you dont KO them then the floor will be there to greet you. I am not saying that it will work 100% of the time its just kicking or kneeing your opponent while they shoot is very very risky as powerful kicks and knees are not the best answer to a take down, personally I prefer to keep my feet on the floor, sprawl, or try guillotine him.