Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun Internal?

Kumkuat Guest

Okay

Describe HOW and WHY Wing Chun is an internal art.

Sandman2[Wing Chun] Guest
    How about first, what is your definition of an "internal" art?

Thanks!
    Sandman[Wing Chun]
    Wing Chun Forum Moderator.
    Student-www.authentickungfu.com

northstar Guest
    The division of CMA into external and internal is pretty useless. All styles have elements of both, this is the meaning of yin and yang.
    Literal translations of the form names:
    1. Siu lim-tau: "siu" means small/little, "lim" by itself means think of, remember, study, "tau" means head. BUT, lim-tau (that's a composite word) means "idea".
    2. Cham kiu: "cham" means seek, search, look for. "Kiu" means bridge, or any bridge-like structure or the beams of a structure.
    3. Biu ji: "Biu" is most often written with a character meaning show, mark, symbolize or symbol etc, but there is another character pronounced exactly the same way but written slightly differently that means dart, spear, javelin or any harpoon-like weapon. "Ji" means finger, and also to point.
    These are the literal translations of the characters used to write the Cantonese words, and not interpretations of the "meaning" of the forms. All the words are in Yale transcription (pinyin equivalents are: xiao niantou, xun qiao, biao zhi).

Kumkuat Guest
    Well, I'll just link you to the thread in the Taiji and the Internal martial arts forum. Whatever Josh_f says is pretty much accurate from what my experiences.

internal/external

Chum Kil Guest
    I believe it is, but not to the same extent as Tai Chi, Pau Kau, Hsing I. What I was told once it's a issunce of power. I've also been told to help your Wing Chun try Zhan Zhong.

John

Have little and gain;
    Have much and be confused.

MikeDensity Guest

Yin/Yang

The yin/yang issue Northstar and the definition of external/internal by Josh_F reveals a good point. Any martial art that is relying on external power is inherently flawed. The bigger and stronger opponent will always win.

If anything, it seems to me that the goal of martial arts is to give an advantage to the studious and focused practitioner rather than the outwardly strongest. If Wing Chun or any martial art was external (assuming by external you mean totally devoid of internal development exercises) then it may as well be wrestling (not that there's anything wrong with wrestling ;) ) And if that were true, I think we'd spend most of our training time lifting weights rather than doing the forms, Chi Sao, etc.

Hopefully not being the pedantic, quote-spewing scholar that Josh_F referred to, here is a quote that gave me some insight into this discussion:

Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited.
    -Koichi Tohei

I hope this is true, because if it's not I'll be forever getting my butt kicked! :D

Mike

[Censored] Guest
    If "internal" means that the yi (not li) leads the qi, how can we argue that Wing Chun is not internal?

I have heard that Yip Man himself said WC is not internal. But, I have also heard that the prevailing attitude of the time was that "internal arts are for nerds" :p

S.Teebas Guest
    Short term, the external may produce faster use for self defence. But the internal, which takes longer to get good results from, will in the long run produce the most powerful results...

S.Teebas

Kumkuat Guest

Okay

How come Wing Chun is not noted as an internal art like Taiji, Xingyi, or Bagua? Or even a semi internal art like baji, Tong Bei Quan, Aikido, etc.,

Also can you internal power with the Internal-Rotated-Adduction-Stance? Is it like the standing post stance in Taiji or squatting monkey stance in Xingyi?

What about chain punching? When I did learned wing chun, chain punching seemed like a lot of arm power to me. Of course, I could of been with some guy who didn't know anything about internal wing chun or didn't bother teaching me the internal aspects of it.

Armin Guest

Internal/External

Hi guys!

What do you think about this idea: Ving Tsun is both - internal and external. It depends, as always, on your enemy. If he's "weaker" you'll fight more external, if he's stronger you'll fight internal. Isn't that the idea of giving way? If you're stronger (or have more power due to a better structure) you just punch through. If you're weaker you change e. g. into Bong Sao.

Armin.

mun hung Guest

internal/external

In my opinion, Wing Chun contains both internal and external elements. Why would'nt it. Both mind and body have to be developed equally to truly understand and appreciate the art. Yin and Yang - it's there.

There is something very internal about performing the siu nim tau, but then again there is something very external about kicking someones a$$ using techniques from it. Would'nt you agree? ;)

Ars vitae Guest

Ars vitae

Personally, I find WIng Tsun an interesting arts, with elements in both. Although it doesn't use force with force, instead it uses sticking and listening to energy. You would think it wouldn't be external. However to my limited knowledge I haven't seen any chi cultivation exercise's you'd expect in an internal. On the other hand Sil nim tau, does place you in a meditative state and chum kui does get my chi flowing. Does this place it within a category of it's own?

tiger_1 Guest

hi my friends

wing chun have internal parth tho is basic for progresiv chi sao . chi sao alone is allmoust noting but here is strong intonjutsy for suport. not just my opinion but sure .- friendly tiger_1 :cool:

/

cha kuen Guest
    The only internal styles are tai chi, pa kua, hsing yi and waterboxing. (also variations of)

Wing chun is NOT an internal style.

BUT

It certaintly has internal aspects. Every kung fu style has internal aspects. If they didn't, then it wouldn't be kung fu.

Your chi is stored in the tan tien, regardless of style. Hands should be soft and hard utilizing Yin and Yang.

That's what people mean when they say that wing chun can be "internal."

Watchman Guest
    >>>The only internal styles are tai chi, pa kua, hsing yi and waterboxing. (also variations of)
    Wing chun is NOT an internal style.<<<

So, what is it exactly about Hsing-I (to use an example) that makes it an "internal" art?

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
    Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.

-- Tzu-kung