Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Wing Chun Internal?

Kumkuat Guest
    Thank for the info watchman. At least you're the only one who tried to give me some explanation. What do you mean by "whip like explosive power"? Do you mean that the power releases from the legs then to the wiast, then to the arm, etc., in sequence like a wave in a whip? Thanks.

Watchman Guest
    Yes, and also because it creates a "snap" on contact like cracking a whip which creates a kinetic shockwave.

Watchman Guest
    >>>Do you mean that the power releases from the legs then to the wiast, then to the arm, etc., in sequence like a wave in a whip?<<<

Sorry, I didn't take the time to really think about your question before that last response...and the forum is posting slow so I can't just edit it.

Anyway, Wing Chun's punching power is generated from the waist and elbow acceleration, supported by the stance and arm structue which adds to the power on impact. If your arm structure isn't locked in with your stance (backed up by it), you're only hitting with your arm's physical mass. Using your entire body and leading your power with your intent gives the explosive effect (what I meant by "whip-like") on impact.

Not to tire of learning is wisdom;
    Not to weary of teaching is benevolence.

-- Tzu-kung

CLOUD ONE Guest

Watchman

That's a nice way of putting it.
    Could you expand on what you mean by 'intent'?
    Would intention be the same thing?

Sam Guest

Internal

Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen contains Hei/Nei-Gung, Tork power, ********y power, shock power, breathe control, chi absorption, chi transferance, chi kong, and ethereal projection.

jameswebsteruk Guest

ethereal projection?!

Ive just got to ask, what in the name of Sweet Dick Willy is "ethereal projection"?

Frank

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
    around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Watchman Guest

CLOUD ONE

What I mean by "intent" is the Chinese definition of Yi, which can be translated as "intent", but could be explained more as "focused concentration of emotional content."

kungfu cowboy Guest
    I think he is referring to "astral projection".(now I'm scared!)

(I seriously need a life.)

kungfu cowboy Guest
    BTW, Frank Exchange, I love your signature! LOL!! :D

(I seriously need a life.)

CLOUD ONE Guest

Emotional content

Can anyone explain what excersises you do to train for 'emotional content'?

Sam Guest
    Just a joke :D

Watchman Guest

CLOUD ONE

You can train emotional content using the gong lik "internal power" exercise contained in SLT.

If you can read Adobe Acrobat PDF files, I can email some articles to you that explain in detail the principles behind gong lik/intent/emotional content and the fighting mentality.

Let me know if you're interested.

S.Teebas Guest
    Kumkuat....

Wing Chun is most definately an internal art (although most practice it with external influence). How can you explain how women (where i train) are capable of totally dominating men twice their size, strength, weight? ...a very logical answer, the system is internal and baised on skill rather than "who has the biggest muscles wins".

kungfu cowboy Guest
    Not to argue with you, but all I see in that situation is correct use of body structure. Not necessarily an internal influence. I do however, support you in that wing chun is an art where internal methods produce the bestest results. Yay!

(I seriously need a life.)&trade;

Kumkuat Guest

um

Even in internal arts, if both the male and female are at an even skill level, neither should be dominating right? However, if the guy weighs more, it would still be hard to throw him around even using internal power. 300 pounds is STILL 300 pounds, internal arts aren't magically gonna give you super levitation strength. Besides, if a male who weighs 300 pounds and a woman weighs 120 pounds and both have the same amount of internal skills, the man should have the advantage right?