Thread: training by yourself

wingchunwsl Guest

training by yourself

how do you guys train when by yourself? i'm only going once a week now due to homework and ride situations and it seems like i can't do much w/out a partner. don't think i can really improve because of this. any comments?

Vankuen Guest

Solo training

I myself have run into this dilemma, being here in Florida for the time being has very much hindered my progress, and possibly diminished my skill level when compared to the levels I was at when training with people on a regular basis.

All I can tell you is to do whatever you can when you can. A good training partner is something that should be taken with great respect, and shouldn't be taken for granted. This you now see I believe.

I have a muk yan jong that I constantly play with when there is no one else around. I also work on attributes training, which in laymens terms simply means working on general skills to improve my performance. I work on making the basics as best I can, so that when I do work with partners, everything just comes.

Basically, work on the things that you can, and when you have the people there to work with, use every bit of time available with them.

Now saying that you will not progress because of this is not a truthful statement. However, you may not progress as fast. But all this really depends on your capability to absorb and assimilate information. Just train hard, with whatever you can do in that moment. In life there's no reason to fuss about things beyond your control.

"From one thing know ten thousand" - Miyomato Musashi, Book of five rings

"Loy lau hoi sung, lut sau jik chung"

whippinghand Guest
    forms, forms, forms, and more forms.

Scott Guest

Yeap

Whip nailed it.

-Scott

"I'm just an actor, just like Robert f***ing Redford when I say those stupid words that they expect me to say."--Art Alexakis

Eric Guest

hmmm

Forms are definately important to work on.
    But also punching and turning drills.... See if you can do 500 punches... Ask your sifu if there is anything you can do while on your own, he may show you a series of exercises you can work on...

hunt1 Guest

like to add

Whip is right forms.like to add shadow box.Also break forms down and practice individual componants.to avoid boredom try doing letters or numbers while shadow boxing.

Sharky Guest
    i've been trainin gsolo for a while, so maybe i can help.

These are things you can do, in no particular order

1) Forms

2) Get a wallbag/punchbag and smack it about

3) Thin air punching for speed and technique

4) Shadowboxing (differect from 3)

5) *Important* - FOOTWORK DRILLS! Everyone forgets this, and it's why the wing chun footwork gets cussed so bad

6) Go running/weights/fitness in general

7) Try and find people to spar with, even if it's an eager friend

8) If you got a wooden dummy, use it.

9) Read up about wing chun, teh principles and theories and examine yourself.

10) Practice infront of a mirror.

Hope these are useful to you.

Peace.

"Spectacular immaculate raps massacre cats like dracula bats, I'm snappin yer back cos I'm attackin the wack, duckin yer rapid attack, **** packin a gat, the mechanic of rap'll give you panic attacks with his Satanical raps." - Guess who.

Shadowboxer Guest

solo training

Sharky nailed it. Practice your sei moon combos with/without turning. Then add in your stepping patterns with these combos. "The mind leads the body". Train your mind, that is, imagine you have a partner attacking you-kind of like shadowboxing. Recall everything you've done in class and everything you are suppose to know, if you have a piece of paper that breaks down the curriculum for each level. Think about all the ways you can think of to deal with a particular attack and practice it.

Roy D. Anthony Guest
    In everyday living, you can practice Wing Chun everywhere, with certain discretion in public. Example, I have trained my stances on the subway train, an excellent way to train it. Hope it's available where you live. I have also practiced my kicks while waitering. My footwork in nightclubs. Try some and feel free to add your own Ideas, explore the possibilities. Wing Chun need never be limited.

Jeff Brown Guest

forms plus

I try to train with a heavy focus on the forms -- sometimes light for accuracy, sometimes hard to build power. punches to the air ad nauseum build strength and stamina.

of course, wing chun skills will not help you if your body is in terrible shape -- a killer bong sao won't be much use to you if you are easily felled by a kick or punch to weak stomach muscles.

rope training will add to both speed and agility, while giving you the stamina for a prolonged bout.