Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hook

Roy D. Anthony Guest
    BKH, the lean back is as a defence to a hook punch, it is hard to throw a knee strike at the same time as one throws a hook.
    Defending against the knee strike is still within time of recovery.
    Leaning back must also have a limit as to where the weight is placed. In finding that limit, one can find the lean with no compromise to balance.
    Don't forget you also have the choice to step back as a response to the opponents follow up.

reneritchie Guest

BHK

I've found that its helpful to look at things in a "whole-system" way. Despite what we like to tell ourselves, no one system is perfect or has the only way of doing things. Each approach has strong points and weak points, advantages and disadvantages. If you pick out any single aspect (like a back lean) and try to put it into your own system in order to appraise it, IMHO you don't get a very good result because within the "whole-system" methods have evolved to maximize the benefits and minimize the risks.

To really judge, IMHO, you need to check out an expert at the approach, see what they do, and see how they support it.

Rgds,

RR

whippinghand Guest
    What about the "kneeling horse"?

BeiKongHui Guest
    I'm not really sure you what you mean by a knee attack? What I mean is that if you slip my hook I will rush you and take you to the ground or, as I do at times, if I miss the hook is shoot in on the front leg, slam my shoulder into your gut or chest and throw you sideways to break your root. You probably don't have to worry about this against most people but most people don't know how to throw a good hook either.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Despite what we like to tell ourselves, no one system is perfect or has the only way of doing things. [/quote]

ain't that the truth...actually, I wouldn't really advocate any system of WC over another as I have been taught by two very different Sifu's and have a tendency to mix & match the things I know and if someone out there is doing something a way I like better I'll want to learn it regardless of who it came from. I don't speak for a system (or either of my lineages for that matter) just stuff that's worked or not worked for me.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to these teachers.
    --Khalil Gibran

Roy D. Anthony Guest

BKH

No techniques is perfect!Every technique has a counter.
    Use every way as the way and use no way as the way!
    Perfection lies in imperfection!
    This is the premise of non-classical Wing Chun.

whippinghand Guest

kneeling horse

was directed at rene. I.E. how as it implemented in his system?