Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wind

The Wind

My teacher says that I am slightly more advanced in my skill of punching than others beginning in martial arts, because there is wind behind my punches. When I throw a punch, my target feels a sweep of wind over them. It is from punching hard and then immediatly relaxing. Is he correct? Does the wind behind my punch really bring me to an advantage?
    -Live one day at a time-

Well that's a bit "mystical" way to put it, but I think I know what he's getting at. Many arts train their punches to be able to put out a candle flame from a few inches away or more. It is the wind that your punch creates that puts the candle out.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    Not an advantage because of it. It indicates your ability level. which you teacher is calling passed someone who starts--some skill there.

It seems-ish.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Well that's a bit "mystical" way to put it, but I think I know what he's getting at. Many arts train their punches to be able to put out a candle flame from a few inches away or more. It is the wind that your punch creates that puts the candle out.
    I though that was with palm strikes...

If you cup your hand it sort of makes like a sucshion, right?
    Wouldn't that affect anything?
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Blog Entries
    fa_jing. It might be different winds. Hard and soft punches can extinguish the candle flame. But degrees of hard or soft make different wind. If Higher stronger wind puts it out but so can lesser. Perhaps it is not wind alone if at all that extinguishes the candle.

One called Odin of Wei, cupping the hand or sweeping to make a wind is like cheating. And cheating you do not achieve-ish. If you can do a normal strike and put out the candle flame then perhaps your strike is better. Different punches, finger strikes, palm heel, elbow knee ball of foot straight-on-kick...can extinguish some candle flame.

Also pole slice, or poke.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I prefer to measure strikes by their effect on sparring partners or heavy bags. Just like when I played baseball, I measured my hitting by... well hitting rather than creating wind with the bat.

My "wind" can be deadly on a high protein diet.
    Vegetables are what food eats.

that's what you get for substitooting whey with taco bell.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Blog Entries
    A baseball is built differently than a Human being. Hitting a baseball would be different-ish. The baseball is expected in the strikezone. The baseball is not likely to be pitched for you to hit when not on a baseball field.~

When hitting a baseball hopefully you are using a bat. Unless you connect Every time you evaluate your hitting by your misses or swinging at Air. You are improving when you hit more ball than air.

Hitting a heavybag is not the same as hitting a person perhaps. While a person's torso can be more concentrated the ****her one goes from the top that changes on a person, unlike with a heavybag. The heavy bag like the ball is in a zone with little likeliness of being out of that zone. People unlike heavy bags or pithced baseballs do not deliberately nor accidentally deflect your strike.

That you don't see value in it is fine~. Perhaps that is not enough to infer that there is little value there.~

Originally posted by No_Know
    One called Odin of Wei, cupping the hand or sweeping to make a wind is like cheating. And cheating you do not achieve-ish. If you can do a normal strike and put out the candle flame then perhaps your strike is better. Different punches, finger strikes, palm heel, elbow knee ball of foot straight-on-kick...can extinguish some candle flame.

Also pole slice, or poke.
    How could a palm strike be cheating?

It's one of the most powerful strikes!
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Thanks, No know. I'll let my old boxing team in on the candle training method.

By wind in your strike it shows that thier is energy beyond the strike. When you strike without energy passing through you all really do is put your fist on your target. The wind indicates that your strike will carry on below the skin. When you strike tenseness should occur only at the open door. The limp limb will move faster through the air and the imediate tenseness will add impact after velocity. The force from them both combined will put the energy of your blow through your opponent. Also aiming beyond the visisble flesh will help with that in a less medaforical way. In striking this is one way of the Ironwind Clan ( a group of martial artist of different arts who train and theorize together on the perfection of martial arts).
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Blog Entries
    Awesome Though No_Know which method beyond punch at flame level a lit candle. For benefit, when consistant extinguishing of the flame (ten times within five punches each time), increase the distance slightly until same level of constant. When they or whoever can extinguish with the level of constant I mentioned from three feet or so, there should be something more to their punch.

Whether or not you were being sarcastic, besides thinking of it as a joke (funny)

One called Odin of Wei "How could a palm strike be cheating?..."

You mentioned cupping the hand of the palm strike to make suction or wind to extinguish the flame. But if you would not cup your palm when striking a person you are cheating your development at that strike by changing it just to extinguish the flame. As you would strike a person you should strike towards the wick.

Phoenix Eye fist and Dragon head fist are punces that can work with candle practice.
    Last edited by No_Know; 04-28-2004 at 08:00 AM.

Originally posted by No_Know
    Awesome Though No_Know which method beyond punch at flame level a lit candle. For benefit, when consistant extinguishing of the flame (ten times within five punches each time), increase the distance slightly until same level of constant. When they or whoever can extinguish with the level of constant I mentioned from three feet or so, there should be something more to their punch.

Whether or not you were being sarcastic, besides thinking of it as a joke (funny)

One called Odin of Wei "How could a palm strike be cheating?..."

You mentioned cupping the hand of the palm strike to make suction or wind to extinguish the flame. But if you would not cup your palm when striking a person you are cheating your development at that strike by changing it just to extinguish the flame. As you would strike a person you should strike towards the wick.

Phoenix Eye fist and Dragon head fist are punces that can work with candle practice.
    I did it with my palm...whatever.

-CPD hostage negotiator

Blog Entries
    One called Wind of Odin, reaffirms that candle practice can be done with a palm.

How far away was the palm from the wick when you extinguished the flame with your palm. Do you still do that. Have you tried from ****her away? If so, how far?

Good for you. :-)