Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will be in Chicago in Sept and Toronto in Oct...

Wei Sui Guest

Will be in Chicago in Sept and Toronto in Oct...

Will be in the cities as listed above for 3-5 days. Trying to find one day from each trip to check out one or two different kwoons.

Linage does not matter to me, I just want to see how others train WC (ie training methodology). I haven't trained a long time so any insight would be cool.

Let me know if you know any good classes...or if ya go to classes in TO (Scarbourogh area) or Chicago(close or in downtown), and wouldn't mind a spectator..

Cheers
    Wei Sui

Cheers.

Dai yut tow dai :)

Wei Sui Guest

No one???

No one on this forum goes to, or has any suggestion sfor good kwoons to visit to in Chicago or Scarborough Ont?

I have found that Sunny Tang's headquarters is there in Scarborough, hopefully they don't mind visitors.

Anyhow, still searching for options. Any kwoon to visit near downtown Chicago?

Cheers
    Wei Sui

EmptyCup Guest
    at Yonge and College there is a William Cheung background school. At Bloor and Yonge is a Inosanto/Vunak style JKD school taught by Myokoto.

Sunny's at Midland and Finch. Ho Kam Ming teachers out of his home, my teacher doesn't allow visitors, and Albert Law teachers from his home too I believe. Most teachers teach out of homes instead of kwoons. Whipping Hand also knows of some Jewish Wing Chun school somewhere...

I can't remember the rest of the locations...I'll try to get back to you on this later...

oh ya, there is a Yuen Kay San Wing Chun school by Midland too...so you can visit it after you visit Sunny Tang...

try all around that area...Silver Star road at Midland and Finch. There are alot of different kung fu schools there...white eyebrow, Chan Tai Chi, Choy Li Fut...and massage parlours for winding down after fighting ;) some of these schools have large gang populations though so be nice :)

Wei Sui Guest

Empty..

Thanks for all your help!!

You seem to have the low down on WC scene in T-dot.

It would be nice to visit a private class, but I understand the why some would instate a no visitor rule. My sifu allows us to bring guests to his house/private training as long as we use discretion. Just visiting commerical classes should be fine anyhow, just want to keep an open mind and see other techniques training(if Ho Kam Ming lineage it would be a bonus).

Thanks for your info about WC scene in TO..if you get addresses, please let me know..Oh and also thx for the warning about that street and gangsters:) I'll avoid the parlors all together!

Wei Sui

EmptyCup Guest
    I'll try to get Ho Kam Ming's contact from my friend who went up and paid his class a friendly visit that turned out to be not so friendly :)

Let's just say that Ho thinks very highly of himself :) I'll also get the Yuen Kay San contact for you as that school is a bit underground and very secretive...maybe me and some wing chun friends could meet up with you in Sept...exchange some info and learn from each other...

The William Cheung place's exact address is somewhere on this forum...I asked a member for it but i kind of forgot where it is now :o I'll try to find it...

As for Sunny, you can contact him through his website easily enough...

you'll hear from me soon, ok? :)

Wei Sui Guest

cool

Thanks again for all your help.

As for checking Ho Kam Ming's private class. I don't want to cause issues and definetly would not want to cause a confrontation...but I think I would take the risk to visit and ask if I could watch...if they say no then that's fine too.

Anyhow, would be great to meet you and your WC friends...just let me know.... I will be in TO October 11/12-16th for my cousins wedding.

keep me posted...
    cheers
    Wei Sui

Anarcho Guest
    A Jewish Wing Chun school? :confused:

EmptyCup Guest
    I don't know...ask whipping hand :)

hunt1 Guest
    In chicago go to phil nearings school.Phil is excellant as long as you are respectfull.he is located near north.thats just outside if the loop.west loop actually.

Wei Sui Guest

hunt1

Thanks for the info 'bout Chicago...you have an address or official name of the kwoon?

Oh and ofcourse I am respectful :p

Cheers

Roy Guest

Jewish Wing Chun

That is an error. It is Wing Chun Taught at the Jewish Community Center on Bloor and Spadina. 750 Spadina Avenue , Toronto Ontario Canada. we may be moving to Ryerson University in October.

Wei Sui Guest

Empty Cup

Well my trip to T-dot is comming soon. I will be there from the 9th to the 14th of Oct.

I will be hooking up with another one of my buds who is attending Uni there now...He also takes WC when he is in Calgary...

Anyhow, If you and any of your buds are still interested in hooking up, let me know. Would be interesting to share some knowledge.

Cheers

EmptyCup Guest
    I might be busy that week, but I'll see if I can make some time

What uni is your bud attending?

Wei Sui Guest

Empty,

My bud is going to U of T (I think) doing Archatechure-post grad program?!

As for being busy, no worries if you are. But if not, let me know via email and I would definetly like to meet up.

I will be staying in the Scarbourough area, I believe where the Sunny Tang HQ is, I may just stop by there to check out what they are doing.

Anyhow, keep me posted on what you are up to!
    Cheers

EmptyCup Guest
    I'll try to make time. You have no email listed in your profile.