Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for nyc internal school

looking for nyc internal school

i got a buddy in brooklyn who wants to study internal arts, preferably ba gua. he could use some i chuan too, as his posture is terrible, but anything would be a step in the right direction.

EvFist...if you read this: I've been trying to PM you but your box is full. I'd love for him to check out your school (i think it's in chinatown, no?). The website in your siggie is getting too much traffic and i can't get in. I like your angle on things, so I thought your school would be a good place to check out.

If any could reccomend some schools in the manhattan/brooklyn area, i'd appreciate it. A phone number and general address would get you 1000 thanks.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Master David Bond Chan: 161 Bowery, Chinatown, NYC, 7th floor. If the lower doors are locked ring the buzzer and someone will come down for you.

I'm heading in tonight if your friend wants to get together before class.

The atmosphere is very friendly. My teacher has just put in a new policy though where you can't watch a class, you have to participate (I think it's $30). This is because he doesn't want people thinking his students are "giving" him anything and wants all prospects to feel things first hand .... believe me, it's $30 well spent.

ahhh, good lookin out Ev. this guy has never really been very physical, besides being in the israeli army about 5-6 years ago. i hope the class isn't too far over his head. i'm going with him, so i may take the class as well.
    can you give me any info on what art(s) is taught (ba gua?), and/or class times? i've done a few web searches on your teacher and i can't some up with a thing. the site is still unavailable.

again, i appreciate it.
    Last edited by Justa Man; 04-28-2004 at 06:58 AM.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

The class is fine for all levels.

My master teachers Ba Gua, Hsing-I, fencing, pole .... those are his specialties. But I've also caught him teaching whip, throwing knives and even the bow and arrow.

We're always into something. On any given night we can be on the ground rolling, working on jammping kicks, locks, ect. Any good school in NYC can offer a complete package and I know this.

I train with this man because of his experience and mind. He's never satisfied. He's always looking for a new, simpler way to do something. He also is adamant about doing it smarter not harder. The man is in his sixties and still plays with guys from all styles who come by.

Pay a visit; very friendly people.

Best nights to come are Tues. and Fri. between 7:30 and 10:30. But someone's there pretty much all the time. He also teaches Taiji in the day and it's pretty agressive. I've seen some of it and to be honest I'm not at that level yet.

You can also call the school at (212) 226-1792

The sites been down a bit lately. This is the only thing I can find on the web mentioning him. It's from Robert Chu: http://www.wingchunkuen.com/chusaule...lungfumun.html

sounds interesting

whats the price range at your school?

It depends on what you want to study (how many subjects). I don't want to quote an incorrect price though; call or just swing by.

Tues. and Fri. nights is the general hand-to-hand classes. There are also weapons classes on other nights, taiji classes in the morinings and folks coming and going all the time.

There is a new policy of no one watching classes: they must participate for a small $20 or $30 fee. This is because he wants visitors to kick, punch and lock him. Otherwise they may think students are "giving him face."

Though willing to play, the people at the school are very friendly and curtious .... to a fault in my eyes. A few times people have come to cross swords and insisted that they had to use their 2x4s instead of the split bamboo sinei. Not one of my classmates declined and a few took a few cheep shots but my master quietly insisted before that they hold back their head strikes and be good hosts. These people are very stand up women and men.

cool man. again, good lookin. i have more questions, but i'll spare you and just ask them of whoever i speak to when we visit. i'm making the decision for my friend, so being that i have a little experience, i'll prolly ask quite a few questions. i hope mr chan (or whoever i speak to) doesn't get offended by my inquisitiveness.

No, not at all.

Better to get all the questions (and doubts) out of the way up front. See our school's aproach to learning. Also know, you don't have to hold back when drilling with seniors, ect.

I'm heading in tomorrow night (Tues., May 4). Give me a shout out if you want to meet up and go in early.

Ray

thanks but my work schedule is mad tight right now. the only time i have free is fridays. my friend was busy this past friday so we may come through this coming friday. we may not though....tribeca film festival.

Hi,
    Frank Allen teaches Pakua, Hsing I, Wu and Yang tai chi as well as chi kung and meditation on the Lower East side of Manhattan. Second ave. and Houston. His fighting for health system is awesome! If you are looking for a good training environment with good people, check him out.His website is Wutangpca.com for more information.

All I have to say about him is that he's been a great teacher to me, a great friend and probobly one of the least secretive people that I've met when it comes to what he has to teach. Thanks,
    Josh

I would also recommend Frank Allen.

Seems like a generous teacher.

hi evolutionfist, i visited your school awhile ago and was very impressed with your school, and your teacher, i came before the new policy but master chan was very very giving and took the time and effort to show me a couple of things, but my question is i didn't see anyone training in hsing yi i saw ground fighting and kick boxing type of drills both was impressive especially for a internal school and i think a few of the students used to study juijitsu if i remember correctly, but how is the hsing yi training for beginners?

Frank Allen

I too recommend Frank Allen @ www.wutangpca.com.

The school kind of runs in cycles. We had a handful of guys join about 6 or 7 months ago.

Generally, you'll learn the chicken stepping and cannon fist to feel the relationship between the hitting hand and the pushing foot, then drill fist, to learn how to pick up.

But besides from walking back in forth doing cannon fist, most of the drills are done with partners. We just started to incorporate free sparring into regular class because the new guys are catching on quick .... but even here it is somewhat controlled, in that senior guys will do more shielding and controlling where as new guys have free range.

Sometimes we roll on the ground, sometimes we work anti-kicking sometimes anti hooking. It all depends.

I know there are a lot of good schools in NYC and the surrounding area. I advice anyone to look around and find what works for them. My master's school is a perfect fit for me. We can fight, no doubt about it. But there's a lot more going on at that school, too. My mind has increased a lot. The way I view the world and problem solve and deal with other's ect. My master has a high standard and expects a lot.

I encourage anyone looking for a school to at least stop by and consider it. We do things differently. For some it works, for others it doesn't.

For example, the senior at my old school came and checked it out after I finally beta him (couldn't before). He played with ym master and was super impressed but in training had difficutly and got frustrated .... he had a hard time becoming a "white belt" so to speak. Said he couldn't get any power.

That's the funny thing, because my master's daughter who weigth about 100lbs could collapse him and punch harder, a smaller student with only about a year experience choked him out.... but got in toruble for it later (this was before class). We pride ourselves on no serious injuries. Our personal health is priority No. 1.

shdw

I'm guessing my teacher showed you how we shield and wedge and some general technique .... did you touch hands with him and feel how he does it?

Have you seen that sort of thing in kick boxing or else where? I'm curious.