Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: hasn't been discussed in a while

hasn't been discussed in a while

for you kungfu, standup, stirking type guys, what is your best response to some of the more common takedown type attacks, like the shoot? Is it a technique that is trained within your arts framework or system or was it somehting you picked up elsewhere?

Ou main defense against the takedown is similar to this video:

http://www.groundfighter.com/uploads...kedownsVol5.ra

We practice a similar move in some of our forms.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

In Shuai Chiao, I was taught to shoot the lead leg back and controll the attacker with a forearm to the crook between the shoulder and neck. This leaves the option for a crucifix or numberous other neck holds. Out of habit, I try to step around and light up his kidneys. I'm trying to break that habit, seeing how its not always an option to escape.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

so just maintaining a strong leg and kneeing down when the guy comes in?

Originally posted by red5angel
    so just maintaining a strong leg and kneeing down when the guy comes in?
    You step back so they can't grab both legs. The wide stance makes it hard for them to get you off balance. At the same time, you use the knee on the front leg to push down on their shoulder and push their head down with your hands.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Drive the lead knee out into them instead of sprawling or backing out .... combine this with an elbow from the back hand after the lead hand has popped the target.

I think I'm using a combination of captainpickaxes and MK's. I step back with my back leg, sowide stance, but then drive my elbow down into the back of their neck. This tends to get me down on the ground but so far I haven't minded going to the ground.

MK has taken the correct to a tailor and bought it a new dress so it looks good when he makes it his b!tch.

Its like a bow stance. It gives you that split second to take the initiative and put the attacker in a hold or throw.

Another thing we practiced was sort of like a kick to the crotch, grab his jacket (shoulders or what have you), and fall backward into a roll. You end up in a mount. Its a cool little roll. Man, I miss Shuai Chiao.
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 04-27-2004 at 12:08 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

sprawl and drive the shooters head to the ground.

step off (evade) and deflect the shooter.

move back with the shooter while exerting downward pressure on the shooter.

There's a few more defense to the shoot and of course, if ya get caught and lifted, you get caught and lifted.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Have you guys ever tried shooting out into that stance instead of stepping back into it?

I've been having good success with this. The intended target winds up in their face with a lot of momentum, power and drive and all focused on the knee to their tucked chin.

From there, then use the back leg as a control center along with the forearm, ect. And I agree with Captain, there are A LOT of head lock opportunities when someone presents their head that way.

Have you guys ever tried shooting out into that stance instead of stepping back into it?
    I've had no real luck with this. I think for me it's a timing thing, I just can't seem to time it right so that it would be effective enough to make it worth it.

Well, you see, in Taiji , there's this thing called peng. Other people I have seen call it " wall energy". Taiji is an inside-fighting art, or close wrestling standing for the most part. Basically you have to be able to accept and take what's dished out to you, and internally keep your structure, and fight inside before you ever get to the ground. And important things involved in taking the power, and getting inside to fight, will be the shoulder, and the hip, and knowing left, right, and center equilibrium and all the regular stuff, sweeps, shuai chiao, fajin, elbows, qinna.
    Last edited by backbreaker; 04-27-2004 at 12:20 PM.

Originally posted by red5angel
    In our forms, we practice this move moving forward instead of stepping back. But usually, I'm not quick enough to recognize the shoot in time to step into it, so I step back to keep them from getting the double-leg.

you all guys would get taken down quick and owned. its funny how you f'ers talk about how to defend a takedown when you guys dont know sh*t about wrestling or groundfighting...

why dont you just stick to your chicken forms and shut up
    If a pipe hits you and no one is around, would you make a sound?

actually that credit shoud go to e-fist there MK, I was just quoting him.

wow face2fist, I give you a -10 for subtlety in your trolling skills.

I think part of my instinct at the moment is to step back and it was easiest for me to translate that to stepping back with my back leg while "rooting" with my forward leg, and either using my forearm or knee to try to deflect/catch the shoot.