Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcohol causes longevity?????

I understand that, being straight edge, you probably want to believe that alcohol is all bad.

Nobody, least of all me, is saying alcohol is some kind of magic elixir for health. However, as part of a healthy lifestyle, it can, in moderation, contribute to good health. And, truthfully, in at least one study, older non-drinkers who started drinking one to two drinks per day showed lower rates of heart disease and some cancers than those that did not drink.

We're not talking about getting loaded here. 1 to 2 drinks daily is not going to get you drunk. Furthermore, drinking heavily will not only offset the positive effects of drinking, but can cause all kinds of health problems (obviously).
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

Dwid is 100% correct. We aren't talking about getting loaded and every study disclaims itself by saying that a healthy lifestyle is the most important factor in longevity. It's just that 1-2 drinks a day especially of red wine, have effects on the body which could even help somebody who's living a healthy lifestyle.

haha although it says i'm a sXe warrior - I'm by no means hardline.

I'm just trying to make the point that, especially in NA, we look to a solution before we look at the causes of our problems. Cure for this cure for that - well maybe if you didn't act reckless/senseless/selfish, etc ... then you wouldn't need some sort of remedy to come in and save the day.
    And i'm not just referring to alchohol.

Like you mentioned how it helps reduce clot formation. Well what is that person doing that is causing these clots?

oops

Ford - i didn't read your post and that makes perfect sense.

So a serving of alcohol is to unclear because of the liquor proofs and percentages. What would be recomended for a serving of alcohol that would help you on regular basis. Because their are strong things like 99banana's and weak things like beer. Then you have your inbetweener's like vodka and gin. So around what proof would a practice like that be placed on.

Also wouldn't this also help the liver by not over using it but giving it purpose as an organ. Gradually increasing it's strength.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Generally a shot = glass of wine = beer.

A shot has the most alcohol but is the smallest in volume.

A glass of wine as the second most alchohol but it has less volume than beer.

A beer is the weakest, but is served in the greatest volume.

It all equals out in the end.

Pick your poison. Again, a glass of red wine is probably best.

BTW, if you're having 12 ounze servings of whiskey, you have problems.

"hi, my name is ford, and i'm a whisk-a-holic."
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

lol...don't knock the wiskey...in these patrs it comes highly recommended...

sparks...I don't think we're saying alcohol is "cure" for anything, somuch as it is a part of a heathly dietary regime....I think personally that the higher proof or % alcohol you have the better effectiveness in cutting your sugars and fats, breaking down your protiens etc...

as far as not improving your gongfu..you may be wrong...maybe as soon as 15 mins after my daily shot, I feel much more aligned and "get my bounce on" (??) much easier...so if I go straight into a workout...which I often do..I seem to be more able to deal with the load???

what about psychologically, obviously alcohol has a relaxing effect on our nervous system etc...and we are all aware that stress can contribute to early death...surely this is also a benifit... right??? does anyone have any science on that?

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Toby,

There are tons of studies that have been released the past couple years about alchohol and health. They all tested something along the lines of 1-2 drinks per day. The latest I've heard about was by harvard and released last year.
    Ford, I know that it's good for you. The statistic I'm questioning (and other people did in another thread) is BL's assertion that "most people who have seen 100+ yrs all drink a little alcohol daily".

BTW, for those that haven't tried it yet, spirits are excellent for a cold. On 2 occasions I've had the onset of a cold (sore throat variety) and relaxed with a bottle of spirits over an afternoon. Next day? All better. It's my unsubstantiated belief that the alcohol kills any poor germs that get in the way. You've gotta pour strong mixes, though. My current poison is vodka and orange on the rocks - at least 1/2 vodka. I also love bourbon and dry on the rocks - again at least 1/2 bourbon. I'm off it a bit since we stopped getting 101 proof Wild Turkey in Oz . It's all 86.8 proof now. So now it's Maker's Mark. If you can drink your spirits neat or straight on the rocks it's probably even better for killing colds.

Any ailment can be treated with liberal applications of vodka, chicken soup, and duct tape.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

BL:

what about psychologically, obviously alcohol has a relaxing effect on our nervous system etc...and we are all aware that stress can contribute to early death...surely this is also a benifit... right??? does anyone have any science on that?
    Actually, strangely enough, research has found no data to support this assertion.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers