Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcohol causes longevity?????

Alcohol causes longevity?????

ok, so I know we've had some debate about this several times here...but I was talking to an extremely conservative colleage of mine who of her own volition brought up this same fact...trying to tell me that this was a contributor and maybe even a neccessary factor of living long!!!????

I believe she's right,. as do so many people with enough information...my question though is why??? My educated guess is because of digestive assistance and hence a lighter load for our bodies...( although more than 300ml ish and you can probably book into AA any time now ).

any thoughts??? not on validity..because I'm not so interested in uneducated thought today...seriously...why do you think most people who have seen 100+ yrs all drink a little alcohol daily?? is it 'cause they're half p*ssed and not stressed or is it genuinely physiological???

and ....what alcohols are we speaking of???

hm

Honestly, I don't know if alcohol has anything to do with longevity, rather than just genetics.

Look at people who live 90 years and have smoked their whole lives, and those who die at 40 from lung cancer.

I would say that alcohol is more of a coincidence than a contributing factor to living a longer life.

We'll know for sure once Jack Lelane dies

Any alchohol on moderation will thin your blood much to the same effect as taking an aspirin daily. This lowers blood pressure and is easier on your heart. There are other anti-oxidant properties in red wine which give more benefits as well. Several studies have been done on this. The most recent by harvard university.

Ford is right on.

Further, some evidence suggests that:

1) Small amounts of alcohol lower fibrinogen levels in the blood, lessening the risk of clot formation on atherosclerotic plaques, a causative factor in coronary heart disease.

2) Alcohol may exert other anti-clotting properties. Evidence is inconclusive.

3)Alcohol may lessen insulin resistance, reducing likelihood of adult-onset diabetes and atherosclerosis.

4)Alcohol may improve the conditioning of the heart muscle, making it more resistant to damage from oxygen deprivation.

5) Strong evidence suggests that alcohol raises blood HDL cholesterol, helping to remove harmful LDL from the vessel walls.

So, in moderation (1-2 servings per day) alcohol is pretty good for you.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

DRinks on Me in NYC

Listen:

I think a drunken fist master named "Sam Si" who was teaching Jackie Chan in those old Kung Fu movies believed getting drunk improved your kung fu. However, putting aside kung fu movie wisdom and knowledge, I personally wouldnt study with a red nose drunken gung fu master and secondly I dont drink until I gte red nose like Sam Si.

However, I do drink in moderation, especially red wine, and I have heard drinking wine in moderation is good for your health; not too sure about if it improves your gung fu? I hope Sam Si's pearl of wisdom is right. Well if you live longer and have better health, then it would be logically that your kung fu skills would gets better with age?
    Last edited by FooFighter; 04-29-2004 at 10:52 AM.
    Bao Tran, Certified CST Coach
    www.cstwarrior.typepad.com
    Your Success is our Success

Think I'll stick with my aspirin and grape juice.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Too bad red wine is nasty.

Wouldn't the anti-clotting properties make it bad if you got cut or something? Or like a big wound. It would take longer to stop bleeding, right?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

IF -- it just means you'll have to pinch your nose an extra 2 minutes when that 15-year-old bloodies you up. no worries, really.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Re: Alcohol causes longevity?????

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    ...( although more than 300ml ish and you can probably book into AA any time now ).
    300ml of what? Vodka? Phew, I'm just under the limit .
    Originally posted by blooming lotus
    ...why do you think most people who have seen 100+ yrs all drink a little alcohol daily??
    Like the other guys said in the other thread, do you have any evidence of this? Genuinely curious as I've never heard anything to support this.

Iron, don't make me come over there and bloody your nose .

Where I'm from alcohol causes nothing but bad. It being the main cause of:

1. Car Accidents. I lost 3 friends in High School to this devil.

2. Liver Cancer

3. Stupid Choices

But then again Texas is the land w/o moderation. You drink untill the doubles have doubles.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Keith Richards is thus explained.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Toby,

There are tons of studies that have been released the past couple years about alchohol and health. They all tested something along the lines of 1-2 drinks per day. The latest I've heard about was by harvard and released last year.

IF,

The anti-clotting properties are just because your blood is thinner. The same thing can be said about asprirn for the same reason.

Originally posted by rubthebuddha
    IF -- it just means you'll have to pinch your nose an extra 2 minutes when that 15-year-old bloodies you up. no worries, really.
    But really would alcohol make it harder to heal with all it's good side-effects.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

But really would alcohol make it harder to heal with all it's good side-effects.
    It depends on what you're healing from. If you're on antibiotics and some other medications, alcohol may diminish the effects of those drugs, thus it is best to avoid.

Otherwise, one to two servings of alcohol per day is probably not going to thin the blood substantially enough to have a noticeable negative effect on healing from cuts, bruises, etc...
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

hm

wouldnt' it make more sense to just live a healthier lifestyle instead of relying on alchohol to repair your body?

ie exercise and eat better?